• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

texas star 500

Why would a person eliminate the fuse holders out of an amplifier? Will the fuse be installed elsewhere in the power line?

~Cheers~

The Texas Star 500's and 667's amplifiers have a couple of fuse holders installed into the back of the chassis. These need to be removed to make room for a proper power supply wire upgrade internally.
Generally, I install an inline MAXI FUSE fuse holder in the positive power wire lead about 12" ~ 18" outside the chassis.
Or at the battery if mobile mounted.
Here is a photo of a power wire upgrade with fuse holders removed.

upload_2018-2-8_20-34-54.jpeg

Here is a photo of a power wire upgrade with fuse holders still in place. Not easy to do with holders still in place.

upload_2018-2-8_20-41-58.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-8_20-33-45.jpeg
    upload_2018-2-8_20-33-45.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 215
  • upload_2018-2-8_20-34-15.jpeg
    upload_2018-2-8_20-34-15.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Gotcha, it's good that the fuse is still installed (just elsewhere). That had me worried.... no fuse inline is asking for trouble. Thanks for the clarification. :)

~Cheers~

I wouldn't push it any harder. Use the variable power on the radio to make the amplifier deadkey 100 to 125 and call it good.

That will work but with Texas Star those variable pots are 2.5 watt pots, it's very common to burn a spot on them when you dead key too many watts into the amp. A good way to make this pot last longer is set the amp for max power, then start with a low dead key from the radio and turn the radio's power up until you have a 100-125 watt carrier out from the amp. It will end up being a much smaller dead key them most people think. Especially for those from the hiiii driiiive club that think since the amp says HD they can dead key 6,8,or 10 watts into it.

Reactions: Crusher
That will work but with Texas Star those variable pots are 2.5 watt pots, it's very common to burn a spot on them when you dead key too many watts into the amp. A good way to make this pot last longer is set the amp for max power, then start with a low dead key from the radio and turn the radio's power up until you have a 100-125 watt carrier out from the amp. It will end up being a much smaller dead key them most people think. Especially for those from the hiiii driiiive club that think since the amp says HD they can dead key 6,8,or 10 watts into it.

Agreed. I wasn't suggesting he use the variable on the amplifier. I never used the variable on any amplifier unless the thing started oscillating and turning the variable down a bit would make it settle down.

Reactions: 9C1Driver

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.