• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Baofeng UV-5R: Better than you thought . . .

I have heard of the Nagoya 771 and have read allot of reviews on it. From what I can see longer isn't always better. It would seem that it works well for VHF, but UHF performance is about the same a the stock antenna.
Be careful there are fake Nagoya 771's out there. They do not work! I know because I ended up getting one. It worked "ok" on Vhf but was dead on UHF. Funny thing was I ordered two of them from the same place, 409shop.com, one was fake and one was not. Spend the extra $$$ and get the Comet or Diamond or my personal favorite Smiley Antennas

Be careful there are fake Nagoya 771's out there. They do not work! I know because I ended up getting one. It worked "ok" on Vhf but was dead on UHF. Funny thing was I ordered two of them from the same place, 409shop.com, one was fake and one was not. Spend the extra $$$ and get the Comet or Diamond or my personal favorite Smiley Antennas

Have ordered several items from the 409shop w/o a single problem.
Could it be that just one item you got was a defect?

I thought so at first but under closer look there was a small physical difference. The hump in the whip was shorter on the one that didn't work. I have ordered a lot from 409 as well without any issues so I am not blaming them but there are fakes out there.

I looked at the various Baofeng models on Universal Radio's site. They show the same battery part #. I was mainly interested in knowing if my high cap battery is compatible. Looks like it may just work.

Maybe this will help you....

If the battery is made by Boafeng then it will work. If it is made by Expertpower or another off brand then it will not work without some plastic case modification.

I have both the 666 and 771 ... the 771 is clearly better on all 3 of my hand helds... It is also twice as long .

I find this very intreagueing. The reveiws I have read it would seem a 50/50 split on performance between the two. And specifically this performance was on UHF rather than VHF. This is what I am concerned with. I will have to see how well it does when it comes in as compared to the stock antenna which undoubtibly will do much better. At some point in the furue I will pick up a 771 and compare the two.

Could you explain how you set the antenna for both 2 and 70cm? Or do you just pull it all the way up? Seems that you would also need a sma female to bnc male adapter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.