• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

toploaded antennas

HARDROCK

Mar 22, 2011
k-40 4.5 ft vs 5ft firestick or skipshooter.
mounted on the back of cab. mack tractor
any thoughts or opinions on these three antennas:blink:

The only good electrical reason for using a shortened antenna is because a full sized one won't 'fit' for some reason, or it's more convenient. There are two 'other sides' to that coin that you should keep in mind. One is that whichever is mechanically 'better' will probably do 'better'. And, when you shorten it's length you will also be 'shortening' it's radiation ability (shape of the pattern). The best of the bunch would be the one that works best for your particular circumstances. Which one's that? Beats me, you tell me which would be more suitable for you.
- 'Doc

Doc is correct there are 2 sides to the coin...

The ground side of the equation will likely challenge you on such a set up. A wide ground strap may help you if you can not get your swr down.

But first install your antenna and see what you get.

I like the skip shooter of those choices you listed but your install may differ from others.

Some times you just have to try a few things and see what works for your particular situation. CB=constantly buying!

Hope this helps out, best of luck and post back for more info.

toploaded antennas

Thanks 4 the replies. i like
the 5ft skipshooter it is what i use
i have a friend that has a volvo
tractor. i was wondering if there
would be a difference in the 4.5
and 5ft on the back of cab. thanks
for the input. the question was
answered by the pattern not being
as good on the shorter one.

dxChat
Help Users