• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

trying to recieve fringe stations.

Obviously you need to raise the antenna.....20' plus the antenna doesn't help matters. Talking 100 miles with a 257 and a groundplane on a 20' mast seems impossible unless the receiving station uses a set of beams 100' in the air pointed right at you. The lower the antenna is the more likely you will cause problems with your neighbors and I am assuming that you live in a housing subdivision.
in a housing sub division with quarter acre lots. neighbors have not complained. most on cable. upgraded to an ICOM718, and hve made contacts, 100+ miles. to the sierra foothills. one station was running stacked 3 element beams. and was on a hill 2000 ft elevation. I'm thinking a higher antenna might be the answer. the sigma4 continues to surpass my expectations. next strp is to put it up 40 ft to the base. I'll preobably start hearing more stations. :) pre amp and noise reduction on the 718 prove useful. 257 is a solid rig, but the extra wattage alowed me to be heard.

Stick up a Maco 4 or 5 element. It will improve your transmit and receive. The people on the other end might not hear you otherwise.

furtherest ground wave contact.???

have been able to work several station when the static levels drop. one station reported he was located about 300 miles away, top of a hill running stacked 3 element beams.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.