• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tubers hate me?

20LF6 hey? I wonder if that amp has the tube filaments in series. If that is the case then measuring the filament voltage at the empty tube socket may not indicate the true voltage applied to the tube due to no voltage drop across the other filaments. just something to bear in mind. Drop another 20LF6 in the socket and keep a close eye on it when you turn it on. Note the color of the filament as referenced to the others and look for ANY color on the plate. There shouldn't be any.

If it were me Ide put new caps in aswell since it was apart anyways in helps of avoiding later havoc.

SPELL CHECK PLEASE!! Is there a professor or some other douchebag in the house in need of spell checking:bdh:??

Thanks, Guys, for all the help and info. If I need more guidance I'll ask for it.
I have a DVM capable of checking the voltages, but I may get lost in the process. I'll do what I can with the schematic, but I am getting a little out of my element here. It's a far cry from making verticals out of GP chicken wire and PVC.

Like I said make sure you look at all the tops of the capacitors for splits, bulges or leaks tan or dark crust type substance. That is an old amplifier and Im sure that its time for part replacements.

I ran into a fellow at the flea market this morning who was pulling out his booth, He had some boxes of old tubes in it for sale. I asked if he had others, and he said, 'Yes, thousands of them".
He lives locally, so I got his phone number, and I will be visiting him soon to look them over.

I will be looking for a 20LF6 for me.
What do you need me to look for and get a price on?

In the booth he had a couple of 4-125A tubes for $12 each, and he seemed willing to bargain. I don't know if anyone needs those, but it was an example of pricing start point. (see: Sold for $40)

Homer

The first thing I do when I buy used equipment, is check to see if it has the rite fuse in it. If it has a bigger fuse than it is supposed to I leave it alone. This goes for tube or SS. If you haven't figured it out yet DON'T put a bigger fuse in when it blows one. That could mean the difference in replacing a $2 cap or a transformer made out of unobtainium.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.