• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turner JM+2/U 9 volt ok?

338_MtRushmore

Jun 17, 2012
The Dakotas
A few years back I picked up a Pinto branded Turner JM+2/U. I am pretty sure that I opened it up and thought that the destroyed battery was part of the element and tossed it in a box.

I now need a battery, but I have read to use a 6 volt camera cell, an expensive 7 volt, and a 9 volt. I would think that the desk version would be the same, and a 9 volt would be fine. What say you?

I guess I also need to make sure it is setup for electronic switching, now that I think about it.

Attachments

• 20170127_155702.jpg
    20170127_155702.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

I have a Turner RK-76 Power Mic, used an odd 7 volt cell.
I made an "adapter" and use a 9 volt battery, I have heard of people taping 4-5 button cells together instead.

The 9 volt seems to work fine, in a perfect world I would add a voltage reg, or just make a simple voltage divider with two equal value resistors (2 watt should be fine) to drop the 9 volts down to 7 volts, this would help the mic to last longer, still 9 Volts probably won't hurt it though, these things were made back in the good old days!

I have a Turner RK-76 Power Mic, used an odd 7 volt cell.
I made an "adapter" and use a 9 volt battery, I have heard of people taping 4-5 button cells together instead.

The 9 volt seems to work fine, in a perfect world I would add a voltage reg, or just make a simple voltage divider with two equal value resistors (2 watt should be fine) to drop the 9 volts down to 7 volts, this would help the mic to last longer, still 9 Volts probably won't hurt it though, these things were made back in the good old days!

I didn't think 9 volts would hurt it, and I didn't really want to go to great expense for a mic that may not work or sound good. I will see what happens

lord i am unsure now but coulda swear it was 375s,,, they are hearing aid batteries,,,,1.5 volts each stacked to make 7.5 volts,,,, takes 5 of them and some shrink wrap is what i used in turner mikes,,,,, i couldnt find any of them i had left i guess i must have let them go with the mikes when sold,,,,

Reactions: LeapFrog
A 9 volt won't fit, but 5 out of six cells will fit. I think I may go this route if I can't clean the terminals very well. I really don't like these rivets that hold the boards and terminals together.

Attachments

• 20170128_221855.jpg
    20170128_221855.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 20170128_224234.jpg
    20170128_224234.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-x-AG13-L...867290?hash=item3f2d4b935a:g:RRMAAOSwKrhVZUDu
Stack these, use heatshrink to make the stack act like a single battery & hold together.
I have also used a (worn down) 12v battery that came from a garage door opener, the battery fit perfectly but I wouln't use a brand new 12v battery. (might induce stress on the circuit)

Those old Turner mics are good mics ,why not just get and use the 7 volt battery it was meant to use ?
They can be troublesome to find, even online. They are out there i'm sure, I'll keep looking.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.