• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turner plus 3 mic problem

The stock mic works perfectly on it yes. The Turner works on AM fine as well. On SSB however, the turner can recieve, and transmit. So wouldn't that mean the wires are good? When it transmits on SSB is where the problem is. that's where the meter goes all the way over without me even talking and the radio dies out. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just looking at it that way. I'm guessing what I'm saying is the mic functions, but it's HOW it functions is what the problem is I suppose.

The stock mic works perfectly on it yes. The Turner works on AM fine as well. On SSB however, the turner can recieve, and transmit. So wouldn't that mean the wires are good? When it transmits on SSB is where the problem is. that's where the meter goes all the way over without me even talking and the radio dies out. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just looking at it that way. I'm guessing what I'm saying is the mic functions, but it's HOW it functions is what the problem is I suppose.

If the stock mic works in all modes correctly (AM, SSB, and PA) and the Turner mic does not work correctly in all modes; then what is the only possible, logical answer? If the only thing different is the mic; then what is the most likely answer? So work backwards from there. Troubleshooting that from here, that is what I must conclude if everything you said is true.

Otherwise, can you explain to me why the Turner doesn't work in SSB mode?

Reactions: vkrules
I think you will find Robbs right, If that light is going yellow and not red it is a sure sign it's not switching correctly. Most likely trying to switch through the mic circuit instead.I have seen this before .

I guess it makes since. I was just thinking because I could transmit and what not. I was making 100% shure that was the problem before I tore my mic up.

I had also thought that if it were the pinout wiring, that it wouldn't work in any of the modes, when it seems fine on am. I could see how it's tne switching though

Rewiring the mic's gonna be a little hard though, because of the DIN plug converter. I could figure out the wiring on the mic and on the radio, but as for taking the plug apart too see the wires, I don't think I can do it as it is one piece.

Rewiring the mic's gonna be a little hard though, because of the DIN plug converter. I could figure out the wiring on the mic and on the radio, but as for taking the plug apart too see the wires, I don't think I can do it as it is one piece.

What I posted earlier has nothing to do with the converter plug. All you have to do is re-wire the mic plug on the mic as I described earlier. That mic converter plug is already wired to a standard configuration.

Or just use the stock mic. At least it won't damage the radio. If you cannot wire the Turner to that radio, then it would be best to have a shop do it for you. You assume all risks if you wire the mic incorrectly and it damages the radio!

Alright, I thought I had to mess with the female pins on the radio and do it in a way that involved me to have to see where the 4 pin went to 5 pin.

Not sure the first info was correct
This looks correct; but I haven't re-wired my +3 in a while either. Some Turner mics have four wires in them; others have six wires. If it has six wires in it (shield, red, black, white, blue, and yellow); then the following should be correct. If your Turner has only four wire in the mic cable, then I don't have the pinout for that model.

1- Shield & Red
2- White
3- Blue
4- Black
*Yellow (*No Connection*)

Scott I had to re-wire my mic plug I don't use an adapter , On my 140 gtl after quite a bit of research this is what worked for me I don't know if the Road Talker is the same as the Cobra , 1) white 2) shield 3) red 4) n/c 5) black . This is for a 4 wire JM+2/U .

Last edited:
Alright, when I get the time I'l figure out my pinouts and rewire :D by the way, how do I change the picture that beside my name on threads? I think it used to be called you're avatar picture.

I think my turner is a four wire. I'l go online and checkout the pinouts for everything. If you guys need pictures or anything, I can provide them.

Don't know if this is corrected or not so, All turner +3 hand mics are wired relay-switching from the Factory, first thing you have to do is go inside and reverse the wires on [positions 3+4(reading left to right)These are the shield and the black. The pins should then read; 1.) White, 2.)Red, 3.)Black, 4.) Shield. At the plug end try pin1-white, pin 2-N/C,pin3- Black, pin4-Shield, pin5- Red

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.