• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ULTIMATE MOBILE

KI4MSJ

Jun 4, 2006
Staunton, Virginia
Here are some pics of my new summertime mobile. Yeasu 817nd mounted to the bars with a 18Ah battery in the rear pack with a Whatsup meter to monitor battery consumption. I should get most of the day from it. I have mounted a HEIL Traveler one sided headset with the ear piece on the right so I can hear cars. I have the PTT/Channel UP/DOWN button mounted on the right next to my thumb for easy access. The antenna mount is mounted on the rear rack with the radio and antenna mount grounded through the steel frame.
DSCN1531.jpg

DSCN1530.jpg

DSCN1529.jpg

DSCN1527.jpg

DSCN1525.jpg

Now that's funny right there. The mount is just something I found at the bike shop. It was part of a metal basket to mount on the front handle bars. It has a quick release. Lucky find. $20.00 for the basket and mount

I like the install and showed your pictures to a friend of mine who does the radio installs on the police bikes. They had to stop with the hard mounts like you have because they were beating up the radios. Turns out, every bump the bike hit the shock carried to the radio and eventually tore them up, those were Motorola radios and were designed for abuse, but that was the breaking point. They now use bag mounts, which since they switched using them, they had zero radio failures on the bikes.

Not saying you have a bad install, just want to give you a heads up. (y)

I would like to know more about the bag mount or maybe some kind of shock mounts. I am open for suggestions. If someone feels the need or sees something they think might not work or work better. Let me know. I am not to big to change my setup around for the purpose of bettering it.

http://www.powerportstore.com/WorldPack%20II%20AR.htm

this is an example, heck you can go to walmart and buy a similar bag for alot less, just something that eliminates the radio taking the shock of all the bumps.

Please understand I am not trying to start trouble with you because I want to figure something out also for the same thing you want, bicycle mobile

Well, decided to go with the MP-1 antenna and looking for a 1/2 wave 2 meter antenna. I have run grounds from the radio and antenna mount to separate screws on the bike. I was told to run a ground strap from the ground screw on the back of the radio to the antenna mount and from the antenna mount to a ground screw, most likely the axle. Then run a piece of ground strap from the axle to the ground to disipate the static build up. What do you think?

The 817 is a great little radio for that, nice one.

http://www.w4rt.com/ has really neat 817 stuff, the super punch processor works fantastic as does the BHI DSP noise eliminator module and his cranker knob is solidly made too. My buddy has his outfitted with all the options, they make a nice difference for sure.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.