• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

Damn those pics are better than my vision LOL Now who has the guts to cut those wires W1 and W2 to see what happens? Channels?? Clairfier corse and fine unlock?? Has to have something to do with that part of the board

Good eye Tucker, I thought the same thing and I had a close look at W1 and W2 when I had the radio open. Two jumper wires sitting so obvious like that did stick out but after looking closely at the traces I don't think cutting them would do anything to change the frequencies.

I could be wrong but I doubt Uniden would allow it to be that easy, FCC would be all over them.

Several old SSB rigs had wires or resistors to snip to give added capabilities.... AR-3500, TS5010, Yaesu FT747 come to mind! Then a reset of the CPU and! **Jump_im**

Yes sir! W1 and W2 look mighty intriguing!

73 mechanic

Next week I order mine! :w00t:

Last edited:
I agree with Dave, I'm sure Uniden designed this to be unfriendly to modify.The export version might be available before someone figures out how to channelize the 980.

Last edited:
I find it easier to manipulate the ar-3500 for rx rather than cutting wires.

Anyone know if adding a RFX75 POWER BAND to the 980SSB is possible ?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

You might be able to implement an IRF520, but 2 of the pins have to be swapped... without looking at my notes, I think it's the gate and the drain that are swapped. BTW, that Mitsubishi final they use in those 980's are the infamous "driver" mosfets that was used in the Cobra 200's that kept failing. Should be interesting to see how reliable those Mitsu mosfets will be in these 980's.

~Cheers~

I find it easier to manipulate the ar-3500 for rx rather than cutting wires.

Anyone know if adding a RFX75 POWER BAND to the 980SSB is possible ?

If it is Doug at Custom CB will be the first to do it. Here is a quote from his web site.

"We all know there have been tons of postings about the RFX-75 not working and sounding bad but I have not had that problem here and since I was one of the first to start using and installing them on radios and have installed hundreds (yes hundreds) of them and had only 2 fail (both were SWR problems) some people are not installing them right."

"Remember we were the first...

To make a Replacement Bluetooth Microphone for the Cobra 29 Bluetooth Radio

Install an RFX-75 on the Galaxy 99V

Retrofit a 2290 and a 2879 into a Galaxy 959, 99V, Ranger 3300 Radios.

Convert the Galaxy 959 to dual MOSFET

Convert a Galaxy 919, 929 to dual MOSFET

Change over a Galaxy 959 to Blue

Come up with a Receive Mod that works for several radios.

Install the RFX-75 into a Uniden BC 880

I may be a little slow but some would say it's worth the wait to get a radio that WILL talk and hear like it should..

Thanks again for all your support,

CB Repairman"

Just got a radio back from him, 3 weekd total turnaround time.

Reactions: 870Arizona
"Remember we were the first...Retrofit a 2290 and a 2879 into a Galaxy 959, 99V, Ranger 3300 Radios.

Ahhh, I will dispute that claim, FG Best was putting 2290`s in the 99V and 88`s years ago, there used to be pictures here on the Old Forum long before we moved over the new server.
Might want to change that one.
I am sure there are other old members here that will remember that.
In fact there were pictures of a Hacked up 99 with a 2290 in and and FG best posted the correct way to do it.
They were also doing MOSFET front end mods on the RCI radios long ago.... Bill Good was the guy that came up with that one...

Jeff

If it is Doug at Custom CB will be the first to do it. Here is a quote from his web site.

"We all know there have been tons of postings about the RFX-75 not working and sounding bad but I have not had that problem here and since I was one of the first to start using and installing them on radios and have installed hundreds (yes hundreds) of them and had only 2 fail (both were SWR problems) some people are not installing them right."

"Remember we were the first...
•
To make a Replacement Bluetooth Microphone for the Cobra 29 Bluetooth Radio

•
Install an RFX-75 on the Galaxy 99V

•
Retrofit a 2290 and a 2879 into a Galaxy 959, 99V, Ranger 3300 Radios.

•
Convert the Galaxy 959 to dual MOSFET

•
Convert a Galaxy 919, 929 to dual MOSFET

•
Change over a Galaxy 959 to Blue

•
Come up with a Receive Mod that works for several radios.

•
Install the RFX-75 into a Uniden BC 880

I may be a little slow but some would say it's worth the wait to get a radio that WILL talk and hear like it should..

Thanks again for all your support,

CB Repairman"

Just got a radio back from him, 3 weekd total turnaround time.

What !. A 2879 in a dx959 ???? That's crazy...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.