• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

Is the beep coming through the speaker; or is it coming through a transducer on the board?

If it is a transducer on the board; then lift it off.
Or better still, just cut one of the connecting traces that make it work . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
It appears there is a beeper unit on the board with a hole in the center. What about placing tape over the hole, or even a drop of glue? - On 2nd look that appears to be a sealed unit, maybe the VCO? So is there nothing in the user menu for lowering the volume of the beep?

As far as channelizing, what about doing the old EXPO type kit, changing out the oscillator crystal?

If it uses a true freq counter then you might get a correct reading, unless the VCO isn't that broadbanded, but 20 channels up or down doesn't seem like much, unless it has some odd logic programming which will detect & shut it down outside of the band.

Good to see someone building a frequency STABLE rig for SSB, FINALLY!

Too bad there's no provision for an external analog meter as on the Yaesu FT857D.

CBRadioMagazine, I love your E.F.Johnson emblem! (y)

So what's the tone quality of the audio like? Hopefully not thin & tinny like a lot of the Galaxies.

I don't understand, how can the beep come through the speaker if it's unplugged?

By unplugging the speaker I can say the beep comes through it. The volume of the beep stays the same regaurdless of radio volume

I think he said that when the radio's speaker is unplugged; then the beep stopped.

Since this is the case; there has to be a 'beep' circuit that feeds the audio amp. Since there hasn't been a schematic yet released for this radio - to find this circuit and disable it; then we will just have to wait until they do make it available.

Last edited:
I think he said that when the radio's speaker is unplugged; then the beep stopped.

Since this is the case; there has to be a 'beep' circuit that feed the audio amp. Since there hasn't been a schematic yet released for this radio - to find this circuit and disable it; then we will just have to wait until they do.

OK, I see I was reading his post meaning wackbirds. I imagine this will be re-engineered with a beep volume/on/off circuit in rev2, until then it will probably be a simple circuit board slice or component removal.

Sorry, thats what I ment. Speaker unpluged no beep. I even poked around the face board a bit. I think the cpu controls the beep. But Im not a tech so I dont know.

The beep is loud, so much so that I had to unplug my external speaker.

I mated this radio with a mag mount wilson 1000 and it's great on rx/tx. Great reports as far as audio. SSB is stable and drift is not an issue. I was talking on sideband today for close to 2 hours and didn't have to touch the clarifier.

I love the radio (first one eversince I got hooked into CB 2 months ago), just that the beep does get to you after awhile.

My 980 finally arrived last night. After a tune-up AM PEP is a hair over 5 watts and SSB is between 10 and 12 watts (that's with an RF Limited power mic). The meter I used was an old Micronta SWR/power meter. I've only had a chance to solicit three radio checks but all were positive so far.

I really like the scanning features and the speaker audio is very robust. One thing I noticed this morning is that the display is somewhat hard to see during the day time (I tried all of the other available colors but it didn't seem to make a difference). It could be a result of my mounting location, though, as I've got it stuffed between the passenger seat and the center console. It may also be a result of the protective shield that I put over the display (I had a spare Nook screen protector that I cut to size). I would highly recommend that others do the same as the display will scratch very easily.

Bluegrass

Reactions: 2 people
My 980 finally arrived last night. After a tune-up AM PEP is a hair over 5 watts and SSB is between 10 and 12 watts (that's with an RF Limited power mic). The meter I used was an old Micronta SWR/power meter. I've only had a chance to solicit three radio checks but all were positive so far.

I really like the scanning features and the speaker audio is very robust. One thing I noticed this morning is that the display is somewhat hard to see during the day time (I tried all of the other available colors but it didn't seem to make a difference). It could be a result of my mounting location, though, as I've got it stuffed between the passenger seat and the center console. It may also be a result of the protective shield that I put over the display (I had a spare Nook screen protector that I cut to size). I would highly recommend that others do the same as the display will scratch very easily.

Bluegrass

Thanks for the update on your new rig, Bluegrass. One thing I have found while driving is that polarized sunglasses are not real friendly with radio displays. It would be nice if manufacturers took that into consideration!

RT307

Why a 6 pin mic plug on the 980 SSB?

I have a Uniden 980 SSB radio and I am in the process of wiring an Astatic road devil mic to work with the radio. When I took the female 6 pin connector apart on the factory uniden mic, I was surprised to see that only four of the 6 connections were used. I then took apart the radio and verified that all 6 connectors were soldered onto the front circuit board, and they were. What is Uniden gaining by having a 6 pin connection, if they are only using four of the six!!?? Maybe hoping to sell only their mics to fit the radio? Anyway, the Astatic mic I am going to use has 6 wires in the mic cord and I am trying to figure out how to wire the mic. If anyone has run into this issue any help would be appreciated! I have not been able to find any schematics on the radio yet. I am wondering if there would be a gain in audio quality if I wired the astatic mic using all six wires utilizing all six terminals on the radios mic jack. I am not new to CB radio, but have not messed with a radios internals very much, and there could be a simple explanation for this. Are the two extra terminals on the radio for another function such as channel selection or for the planned wireless mic? Please help!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.