• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980ssb Thoughts

Oct 22, 2009
I just purchased a Uniden 980 and so far it has been a really great radio. I made contacts here this evening from central pa to Iowa and was complimented on the clean clear audio of the unit. I have it paired to a astatic 878dm. Sure it is not an audio monster , but does have some good clean clear modulation. I have listened to it on the other end and I really like it.

Now if only uniden would release the schematics , I would love to rid myself of the beep that happens on every button press as well as figure out a few mods to do to the unit.

I will figure out where the beep comes from, I am going to probe the pins of the processor to see which one sends out the beep.

The bottom line is if you are on the fence...just buy one you will like it.

Reactions: 1 person

I am glad to see Uniden making a SSB radio that is once again getting good marks. In time the mods and channels will come.

I thought about buying one, but yeah i noticed the beep that happens when you spin the dial is rather annoying.

Now I read it's not an audio monster, which I have also read the same holds true on radios such as a Cobra 148 GTL or an RCI 2950. In terms of audio quality, but SSB stability, would you say it's about on par with either of the above mentioned radios?

I thought about buying one, but yeah i noticed the beep that happens when you spin the dial is rather annoying.

Now I read it's not an audio monster, which I have also read the same holds true on radios such as a Cobra 148 GTL or an RCI 2950. In terms of audio quality, but SSB stability, would you say it's about on par with either of the above mentioned radios?

As far as ssb stability, mine does not drift from cold to warm at all...right out of the box it was dead on frequency.

There is another guy running a uniden grant here and never has to retune throughout the whole night...I guess that means it is pretty stable(y) , For what it is and price I think one would be hard pressed to find a better unit...heck if you want more power....get an amp.

The only thing I did was turn up the alc to 12 w pep on ssb and raise the am mod to 100%....The design is set to be choked so the am carrier doesn't go much above 6w ...4 to 6w doesn't make a difference..this is where a schematic comes in handy because that final should be able to push out 20w pep easily but until then...

Good luck of finding a schematic...they won't even release a schematic for the Uniden Pro 510xl ...all of their radios are top, top secret! ...LOL

Reactions: 2 people
I have two Uniden 980s and like both of them. I enjoy the scan feature, the memory feature, and they both are very stable on frequency. I use them both as mobiles so the weather function is also nice. I peaked and tuned both radios myself. I talk daily with an operator running a HR2510 and get great preorts and do not have to mess with the clarifier. Sure the wattage is not the highest, but if you need more power you can always run an amp. I did upgrade to an Astatic Road Devil mic for one radio and will soon get either another Astatic or Road King for the other radio. I don't like the beep either, but hopefully somepne will figure out how to get rid of it. Got both of mine on ebay from Effingham Radio Repair and they were great to deal with and a great price.

American Kangaroo 2299

From all the people that have posted My questions have been answered. The 980 is a winner on AM and SSB as far as am audio goes I think it is like the Pro 510XL since Uniden made it with surface mount tecknology It's not a loud am radio but clear and has very good clean audio. And to me that sounds like a good thing. Now maby the will do something about the Beep in the menu settings like the 29 LX has.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.