• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Washington Modulation?

Eastside

Apr 29, 2011
How do you turn up the modulation on this radio?
FYI it has the PC-385 board.
Its bone stock....keys 4 watts and swings forward to 5 watts with a 575-m6 power hand mic.

For AM modulation, you can clip R104, this is your AMC. It's located right next to TR33. That will bump AM modulation only. For SSB, you adjust VR7, that is your SSB ALC.

Hope this helps!

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
For AM modulation, you can clip R104, this is your AMC. It's located right next to TR33. That will bump AM modulation only. For SSB, you adjust VR7, that is your SSB ALC.

Hope this helps!

~Cheers~

Yep....but nothing to get excited about.....4 watts to 7 watts forward swing.

First off . . . What kind of watt meter are you using . . . Is it a Dosy or a real meter that can read peak watts?

If you want to see more watts out of the radio, the first thing I would do is check the bias settings on the driver and final and then peak the four transmit coils in SSB mode/ch 20.

I would do that before getting too much modulation by clipping stuff. These radios can easily exceed 100% modulation anyway.

the resister change is if you are looking at the mods page. look at the alignment page , you asked how to adjust it. the sight has mods and alignments for the radio

the resister change is if you are looking at the mods page. look at the alignment page , you asked how to adjust it. the sight has mods and alignments for the radio

I did not think it needed aligned....since the seal was not broke and no one had not been into it.....just wanted to get more swing....it had very little forward swing.

First off . . . What kind of watt meter are you using . . . Is it a Dosy or a real meter that can read peak watts?

If you want to see more watts out of the radio, the first thing I would do is check the bias settings on the driver and final and then peak the four transmit coils in SSB mode/ch 20.

I would do that before getting too much modulation by clipping stuff. These radios can easily exceed 100% modulation anyway.

I was using my Dosy TC....I also have a Daiwa 801....but it seems not to read pep to well.

you need to align the TX as Robb said to get the radio putting out. then you can look at the mods.

But if it has not been tampered with....why would it need aligned?

Unless your thinking...better to be sure its correctly aligned....I will do an alignment on it. :)

Last edited:
But if it has not been tampered with....why would it need aligned?

Unless your thinking...better to be sure its correctly aligned....I will do an alignment on it. :)

Why would any radio need to be aligned? To test if it is up to specs - of course!
An old radio - like this one - is more likely to be out of tune rather than being in tune.

Use the mic that you plan to use on this radio and feed it a 1khz audio sine wave signal (you can get this online) in SSB mode. If it is a power mic; then set it about 1/2 way up.

Freesound.org - "TONE 1 kHz 44.1 16bit.wav" by klangfabrik

Even though the Dosy isn't the greatest meter for alignments, it will still work for seeing the change in output in SSB mode. Set the meter to read 'peak' and 'SSB'.

Key the mic and hold it fairly close to your computer speaker and start the sine wave signal; adjust the mic gain knob until you see about 10w on the meter then tune/peak the first coil. Then follow through with the next two coils. For the last TX coil of the four will need to be set for power balance between ch 1 and then 40 - this is done to insure that the power output is relatively equal on all channels after you peak the first three coils. Should see close to ~18w when peaked after twiddling. BTW - Let the radio rest a minute between each coil being tuned as this tuning procedure will get the finals a bit too hot and possibly fail if you don't.

Use ONLY a wooden stick or the preferred nylon tuning tool; do NOT use a jewelers screwdriver!!!
Or forget about doing this entire operation.

This isn't the preferred way to do it but if you are going to DIY at home; then this method should get it pretty close.

Do it all at your own risk!

Last edited:
I have 3 washingtons like this that does 3 watt dead key and swings 18 to 20 on am and 25 on ssb. this is without any mods done to them. I just bought a uniden 880 and it was doing 3 watts dead key and swing to 4 watts and I just peaked it a little and now it does 3 watts dead key and 10 watts swing. the factory normally just see's that it puts out and lets it go. they do not set there and play with the tuning cans to peak it out. as long as it does 4 watts thats it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.