• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UPGRADING THE CTE INTERNATIONAL LW-150

sanman

Sanman
Nov 7, 2009
Carmel, Putium County, New York
HELLO TO ALL :
ITS ALL CONFUSING WHEN I READ THE POSTS ON THE VECTOR 4000. ITS ALOT TO GO THROUGH . i JUST WONDER IF THIS ANTENNA IS ANY DIFFERENT THAN THE VECTOR . THE TUBING SIZE , THE TOP PART IS DIFFERENT, IS IT STRONGER THAN THE VECTOR , IS IT THE SAME COMPANY , THE ANTENNA SUPPORT , THE WAY THE U CLAMPS ARE SET UP DIFFERENT. i LUV THE WAY BOOTY MONSTER DID UP HIS HOMEGROWN VERSION, EXCELLENT JOB TO SAY. (y)I HOPE HE WOULD HOOK UP A UPGRADE KIT FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE BOUGHT THE STOCK VERSION . EX: CLAMPS, BRACKETS OR PLATES FOR A IMPROVED VERSION FOR THE SO239, GAMMA, CROSS BAR FOR THE BASKET, AND HOW TO STRAIGHTEN THE MAIN VERTICAL, WEATHER ITS CHANGING CERTAIN TUBES OR FILLING THE TUBE WITH VSUPER STRONG KRIPONITE. ITS CHEAPER THAN SPENDING 4 OR 500 DOLLARS MAKING IT. I HAVE ONE NEW IN THE BOX , AND PUT A LITTLE BOOTY IN IT TO KICK ASS.

Sanman what it the diameter for the bottom section of your LW-150?

Is it just one piece of tubing or does it have another smaller tube inside?

I think I have an old LW-150 radiator. If I understand your words, it is just like you described, basically bent up and the top element, that I understand was an aluminum rod, is missing. It is very skinny and no where near as strong looking as my Sigma4.

THE TOP PART IS TWO PEICES OF SMALL TUBING THAT IS 5.9 FEET AFTER THE COLLAR. THE U CLAMPS ARE OPPOSITE EACH OTHER IN ONE UNIT BRACKET .THEY HAVE TO BE 8 INCHES APART BETWEEN THE TWO BRACKETS ON THE MAST. THE INSTRUCTION SHEET IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN THE ONE ON CB TRICKS WEB. HAS A LITTLE LESS INFO THAN MINE.

thanks for the compliment , but i just made a beefy zerox of someone elses design . does your 150 have 3 or 4 basket elements ? the new vector uses 4 of them and i think they're longer at 106 inches .

sanman , find out the diameter of the tube at the bottom of your 150 . i'd buy four 6 ft pieces of tubing in the next ascending sizes to double wall the bottom two sections , and not use the two skinniest top pieces . but , your basket standoff/insulator will have to be replaced and the bracket the bottom of the basket elements attach to will need to be replaced also since neither of them will fit on the bigger diameter elements .

from scratch it could be made for $190 worth of tubing from DXengineering $40 -$50 worth of #8 hardware from lowes and $35ish on aluminum strips from lowes . and a lot of time with a black metal cutting blade , a hand file and a drill with a few bits .

THE ANTENNA IS BURIED IN THE BASEMENT IN THE BOX. I WOULD MEASURE THE BOTTOM TUBE TOMORROW . I BOUGHT THE ANTENNA BACK IN 1986 OR 87 . WANTED TO BUY A SIGGY 4 BUT THEY STOPPED MAKING THEM . IM HOPING ILL COME ACROSS ONE IN THE BOX NEW OR USED IN GREAT CONDITION . LUV TO COLLECT ANTENNAS TO EXPERIMENT THERE QUALITIES AND DESIGN . I DEFERENTIALLY BOW DOWN TO TOUGHS WHO BUILT THEM, ESPECIALLY FROM THIS WEB SITE . BEST WEB SITE IN TOWN !!!

THE TOP PART IS TWO PEICES OF SMALL TUBING THAT IS 5.9 FEET AFTER THE COLLAR. THE U CLAMPS ARE OPPOSITE EACH OTHER IN ONE UNIT BRACKET .THEY HAVE TO BE 8 INCHES APART BETWEEN THE TWO BRACKETS ON THE MAST. THE INSTRUCTION SHEET IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN THE ONE ON CB TRICKS WEB. HAS A LITTLE LESS INFO THAN MINE.

Can you post a copy?

BM, gave you an idea for beefing the LW150 up at the bottom, but be careful in buying US aluminun, the Larry was made in Italy, and I think it likely has tubing made in Europe. I don't think it will show a suitable fit if this is suggestion is a fact.

Sanman what it the diameter for the bottom section of your LW-150?

Is it just one piece of tubing or does it have another smaller tube inside?

I think I have an old LW-150 radiator. If I understand your words, it is just like you described, basically bent up and the top element, that I understand was an aluminum rod, is missing. It is very skinny and no where near as strong looking as my Sigma4.
I JUST MEASURED THE 2 BOTTOM TUBES. THE FIRST TUBE IS CLOSE TO A 1,1/2 BY 4FT, 7&1/8 OF AN INCH. THE 2ND TUBE IS1,1/4, 1 LINE ABOVE BY 4FT, 7&1/8 OF AN INCH. BOTH TUBES ARE CONNECTED BY A TUBE CLAMP . IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT TO SCAN THE INSTRUCTION SHEET AND PUT IT HERE. HELP MIGHT BE NEEDED. HOW DO I KNOW IF ITS EURO OR US?

if you have already scanned the pages into your computer, then when you click on reply to thread, there is an option on the bottom of this page that reads attach files, click on the manage attachments box, which will open a dialog box that will allow you to navigate or point to those scanned files, then attach to your reply.

there is a file size limit, so you may have to resize or rescan using a lower resolution setting if the web site indicates so.

HERE ARE THE FILES

Thanks sanman, that is exactly the same as I have except the two hand written dimensions are different.

I think one of the advantages touted by some is that these Sigma4 styled antennas work well, even when close to the ground. So you don't have to get it real high, but I sure would try to get it in the clear as much as possible, even with a small back yard. Since it is nearly 30' feet tall, just be careful around your electric utility service. Make sure everything is tight enough, without stripping the parts.

Good luck and be careful,

Thanks sanman, that is exactly the same as I have except the two hand written dimensions are different.

I think one of the advantages touted by some is that these Sigma4 styled antennas work well, even when close to the ground. So you don't have to get it real high, but I sure would try to get it in the clear as much as possible, even with a small back yard. Since it is nearly 30' feet tall, just be careful around your electric utility service. Make sure everything is tight enough, without stripping the parts.

Good luck and be careful,
WAS THE HAND WRITTEN DIMENSIONS FOR 10 METER ? IM ASSUMING BECAUSE THE LATER VERSIONS CAN BE USED FOR 10 OR MORE? IM GUESSING THE MATERIAL IS THE SAME AS THE V4'S. I WONDER IF EUROPE HAS ALOT OF THESE ANTENNAS UP. IS THE TUBES MEASURED IN METRIC AND WOULD BE DIFFICULT FOR ME TO UPGRADE?

THANK U BM.. U AND THE COMRADES HERE ON WWDX ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! I HOPE THE MASTERMINDS CAN HELP ME SET UP THE FOUNDATION FOR THIS ANTENNA .ONCE AGAIN LUV THE WAY U SET UP THE MAST MOUNT. I WOULD LIKE TO DO THE SAME AT MY 20 . HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED FROM ALL HERE AT WWDX. THANKS

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.