• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Using 102" WHIP for SWL?

Easiest way to find out is to get one and try it out. OR, you can cut about 9 feet of wire and use that. A 102" conductor is a 102" conductor. The fact that one is advertised as an antenna and the other one is just wire is immaterial.

Experiment!

I think you might be surprised at how well a 'short' antenna will work just for 'listening'. There's a lot of "if's/and's/but's" in it, but the Navy did some research a long time ago that showed that a resonant antenna just wasn't needed to receive adequately. If I remember correctly, most HF stuff could be heard 'adequately' (which means not the best, but adequately) with just a six foot antenna. Being a bit skeptical about that, I had to try it. They were right. Which says nothing about having to use such a thingy, and wanting to, or getting the absolute bestest results.
So, would I use a typical 102" whip for listening if I had the option of a resonant (or one close to it) antenna? Of course not! But you certainly can.
- 'Doc

(And no, that's not why the common 102" whip antenna is that length. :))

Easiest way to find out is to get one and try it out. OR, you can cut about 9 feet of wire and use that. A 102" conductor is a 102" conductor. The fact that one is advertised as an antenna and the other one is just wire is immaterial.

Experiment!

I would use wire except that I have a pipe and roof mount that I can mount a
102" whip since stringing wire is a no can do for me. I asked because everywhere I read about the 102" says it's an excellent "quarter" wave which
makes me wonder about the wave match on SW. If I can find a used whip I'll give it a try,Thanks.

I asked because everywhere I read about the 102" says it's an excellent "quarter" wave

It's a 1/4 wave on 11 meters. But that doesn't matter if you're just listening.

It's a 1/4 wave on 11 meters. But that doesn't matter if you're just listening.

Like Mo said, it's a 1/4 wave antenna on 10/11 meters. Everywhere else it is 102" end fed random "wire" antenna.

It will work "good" as a SWL antenna. Not the best, not the worst. On 40 meters, instead of a station putting a 20 S-meter reading on you if you had a 40 meter dipole, they might put and 8 or 10 S reading on you. But that's still a decent signal and hearing a station is hearing a station.

The further you go down in frequency, the less and less effective it will become.

40 meters (7 mhz) and up....it should work pretty well.

Good luck

I think I understand now. I'll put up a 102" as soon as I find one cheap enough (mount and all).

That said, Thanks to all who replied I do appreciate it. (y)

Junkyard antenna

I picked up a 102" whip from the local junkyard and am using it on our local 10-meter SSB net. It presents about a 1.5 SWR at 28.450 MHz. Is it the best choice? No, but it works.

...Tom

As far as a receive antenna goes You can have a little better luck if you leave the connector unscrewed on the back of your receiver and pull it out just a scosh (is that a word? lol) so that just the center conductor is in contact. Sometimes it will work wonders for a nu resonant antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.