• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UTC time?

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
I'm on the Pacific. if it is 2100 UTC what time is it here?
Dont Quiet grasp the concept of UTC time...:bored:

Use WWV to determine UTC (aka zulu and GMT). As suggested, get a separate clock and set it with WWV. Then don't EVER change it except for minor resets. UTC doesn't observe daylight saving time.

In 1963 when I was on active Navy duty, one of our new radiomen was tasked with changing the "ship's clocks" ahead or back one hour as we moved from San Diego over to Hawaii and points west. Poor kid also changed our Zulu clocks, which caused no end of confusion until somebody realized what had happened. For about two hours, we were sending out messages with date-time groups in the future!

MFJ used to make a dual digital clock. Set one for your local time and the other one on Zulu. Don't think they make it any more.

MFJ used to make a dual digital clock. Set one for your local time and the other one on Zulu. Don't think they make it any more.

Still available:

MFJ-108B Dual 12/24 Hour LCD Clock

Attachments

• 0895.gif
    0895.gif
    37.2 KB · Views: 307
Nice!
But if you are really cheap - like me - Windows7, Vista, and maybe even Xp, will let you run two clocks on your desktop/tray. I know that Windows7 and Vista will let you run up to three clocks for sure. Not sure about Xp though. I run one clock for local time and the other for UTC time and it doesn't cost a red cent.

Reactions: 1 person
Well I learned 24hr time so ur saying mathematicly speaking, if its 7am here utc time minus 7
Its 0100utc time ?
Sent from Outerspace, on the DarkSide of X.

Wrong way. UTC is always later than us here. If it is 7am where you live it is 3pm or 1500UTC. California is 8 hours behind UTC. Just wait until you start logging contacts in UTC. Depending on the time you may even have to make a date correction. When it's 10pm here on December 2 and I work a station, if I use UTC, I have to log it as 0200 December 3.

The World Clock

Wrong way. UTC is always later than us here. If it is 7am where you live it is 3pm or 1500UTC. California is 8 hours behind UTC. Just wait until you start logging contacts in UTC. Depending on the time you may even have to make a date correction. When it's 10pm here on December 2 and I work a station, if I use UTC, I have to log it as 0200 December 3.

The World Clock

i think ill just stick to 24hr time hehe that sounds complicated!:sad:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.