• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Very new. Very confused.

spider87

Aug 2, 2010
Ok, so I am new to this whole scene. Have some electronics experience and a ton of computer/software/hardware experience. I'm comfortable wiring and soldering and what not. I've been reading around the ARRL's website and been delving more and more into circuitry and radio/soundwaves. HOWEVER, I'm very confused by all of this antenna talk.

My questions:
How do I know which band I want to be in?
What difference does it make?
(Statement) I want to be in the most popular band in my region as I am getting into this for the communication aspect of it
(Statement 2) What I am wanting mostly is a large, straight antenna that I can either plant on my roof or on a wooden pole of some kind. I live on top of a hill for the most part (there are a few slightly taller hills around but I have a 25+mile/160degree view out of the back of my house only blocked past that by haze)
(Statement 3) I want to broadcast, however, in all directions because most of the area on the other sides are open as well.

Is this all possible with a long, straight (I guess it'd be called dipole) roof antenna?

Thanks for helping a noob out,
Alex

Ok, so I am new to this whole scene. Have some electronics experience and a ton of computer/software/hardware experience. I'm comfortable wiring and soldering and what not. I've been reading around the ARRL's website and been delving more and more into circuitry and radio/soundwaves. HOWEVER, I'm very confused by all of this antenna talk.

My questions:
How do I know which band I want to be in?
What difference does it make?

Mainly, the question is whether you want to talk locally (say within a 50 mile radius) or well beyond that.

(Statement) I want to be in the most popular band in my region as I am getting into this for the communication aspect of it

We don't yet know what region that might be, nor what sort of "communication" you're talking about. As for the "most popular band" in your area, that's something you are going to have to investigate for yourself.

(Statement 2) What I am wanting mostly is a large, straight antenna that I can either plant on my roof or on a wooden pole of some kind. I live on top of a hill for the most part (there are a few slightly taller hills around but I have a 25+mile/160degree view out of the back of my house only blocked past that by haze)

By "straight", do you mean horizontal, or vertical? And the "largeness" of an antenna depends on the frequency/band you're using. An antenna for 2 meters is not going to be as large as one for 40 or 80 meters.

(Statement 3) I want to broadcast, however, in all directions because most of the area on the other sides are open as well.

Are you asking for CB or amateur radio information? The reason I ask this is to point out that if you're getting involved for communicating, as you indicated earlier, you won't be "broadcasting". Broadcasting is a one-way road, like commercial AM/FM and television. Communications, by definition, is a two-way street. You'll be transmitting for a short time, and then you'll be receiving.

Is this all possible with a long, straight (I guess it'd be called dipole) roof antenna?

A dipole is generally installed horizontally. It's a good antenna, and if installed properly it will show a bit of directionality. If you want to be able to transmit in all directions at once, a vertical antenna is more practical.

Thanks for helping a noob out,
Alex

Alex - good questions but way too general in nature for us to give specific answers. Take a look at my comments and see if you can narrow the questions down a bit.

Alex - good questions but way too general in nature for us to give specific answers. Take a look at my comments and see if you can narrow the questions down a bit.

Ok, I have some things incorrect then I guess haha. I also neglected to give my region. I am in the Western PA area between Allegheny and Indiana counties. I am wanted a 2way type communication. In that case, would I be looking for CB or ham? I had always heard people talking about HAM like it's a giant walkie talkie, is this actually CB and they were just wrong? Also, by straight I did mean vertical, horizontal's not really a problem I just can't see setting up a huge multi-mast type antenna in my yard right now as I am just getting into this. By large, I was just saying I am able to accommodate a larger antenna depending on what band I decide on. Really, 2 way communication locally is all I want to do.

Thanks again!

CB Radio is a license free service, good for local communication, (with longer range comm possible), uses relatively small, simple antennas, which are usually used vertically polarized and is fairly easy to set up in both fixed and mobile operation. Ham radio is a licensed service, uses more expensive equipment, somewhat larger to very large antennas, and is good for around the world communications when the conditions are correct. Much more complicated to use mobile in the hf ranges due to antenna size. This is a very simplified explanation, but should help you choose which is better for your current needs.

CB Radio is a license free service, good for local communication, (with longer range comm possible), uses relatively small, simple antennas, which are usually used vertically polarized and is fairly easy to set up in both fixed and mobile operation. Ham radio is a licensed service, uses more expensive equipment, somewhat larger to very large antennas, and is good for around the world communications when the conditions are correct. Much more complicated to use mobile in the hf ranges due to antenna size. This is a very simplified explanation, but should help you choose which is better for your current needs.

That explanation is pretty clear. So are the people that are talking to people from different states and stuff are using CB? I was at a yard sale a guy had an old radio and he said his brother used it to talk to people in Florida. (with an extra 1000W amp) Is that CB or Ham? Or is it hard to tell in that way? What is this that Beetle was saying about one being 1way and one being 2way?

No way to know what kind of radio you saw at the sale with that description, could be either one. Broadcasting is what the local am radio station that you listen to in the car is doing, just like tv stations. ONE WAY, They broadcast, you listen. In ham or cb, you are transmitting and receiving. You can talk AND listen. CB can be used to talk all over the country when conditions are right, but is mostly for reliable local communication. Probably CB is the best place for you to get a start, and if you really get into it, you can study and upgrade to ham at a later date. You can set up a cb station for 100.00 or less if you shop around.

No way to know what kind of radio you saw at the sale with that description, could be either one. Broadcasting is what the local am radio station that you listen to in the car is doing, just like tv stations. ONE WAY, They broadcast, you listen. In ham or cb, you are transmitting and receiving. You can talk AND listen. CB can be used to talk all over the country when conditions are right, but is mostly for reliable local communication. Probably CB is the best place for you to get a start, and if you really get into it, you can study and upgrade to ham at a later date. You can set up a cb station for 100.00 or less if you shop around.

Sweet that's what I'm looking for definitely. Without any further information, can you make a few generalized suggestions as to what I should look for or would you need more information? As I said, I can put an antenna on my roof if necessary and I have plenty of space for a radio unit and stuff.

There are way too many options for me to suggest any one of them. Peruse the message board posts here, and the for sale area, and hang around for a while to get some idea of what is what before you make any choices. The others here will be invaluable for information for you, too. BTW... a mobile is just a base radio without a built in power supply, so don't discount a good mobile radio for use in the house. They are usually cheaper, and you can run it in the car, too.

There are way too many options for me to suggest any one of them. Peruse the message board posts here, and the for sale area, and hang around for a while to get some idea of what is what before you make any choices. The others here will be invaluable for information for you, too. BTW... a mobile is just a base radio without a built in power supply, so don't discount a good mobile radio for use in the house. They are usually cheaper, and you can run it in the car, too.

Also, in thinking about it, I have a Cobra car CB unit (I think) somewhere in my house lol. Are you saying if I can get the power supply part correct that I can even use something like this? (I currently have it rigged to plug into a lighter jack in my car because I was going to do this in my car but never found a good antenna for my car)

Yep! Put up an antenna, hook that cobra, ( generally very good radios, by the way) to a power supply, and you are on the air. See how easy that is?:w00t:

You have posted in the wrong section but to answer your question for a cb homebase setup you will need a radio(Ranger Communications, Inc.) is popular , power supply appropriately rated to the radio ,(homebase cb's usually have a power supply built in) enough coaxial cable(rg213 is good quality) and PL259 connectors for the coax and flux cored solder and a soldering iron to fit the ends. (and an antenna mast) if you can't fit it on your house.

Well; I don't know about the $100 price range. Seems a little too skinny to me - or it depends on some fortunate circumstances. Like getting a free antenna - or if you build one. Might prove a little difficult for a real beginner.

Inexpensive - but extremely effective setup - IMO:

Radio: Cobra 148GTL - about $80 used/$139 new

Mic: Astatic D104 handheld mic - ~$50 new/$30 used

Power supply: 5-10 amp 12v (it's really 13.8v; but is called a '12v supply') - $25 used/$50 new

Coax w/connectors: 50 ft of RG-58 coax can be as cheap as $25 for the cheap stuff; ~$55 for the LMR-240 Ultraflex (nice stuff!)

Antenna: (most important part!) The Solarcon A99 is cheap $40 used/ ~$70 new w/shipping and is widely accepted as a
best bang for the buck' antenna universally. You could also get a IMAX 2000 ($110/shipped) or Maco V-58 ($160/shipped)

Masting/Mounting: 36 ft high from the ground to the point where the coax plug inserts the antenna is the general guideline to doing this right. So long as the antenna is clear of power lines - should the antenna fall due to wind/etc - to keep one from getting ELECTROCUTED! 10 ft sections of steel tubing used for TV antennas can be scrounged for - or purchased for new about $15 per section. You will also need to use guy wire support to keep it erect. Total cost: anywhere from $0 to $80 - depending if you can scrounge for the material or have to buy.

SWR meter: Necessary to tune the antenna and monitor the 'antenna match' for best SWR. A cheap $25 meter from Radio Shack will do just fine/used price can be the same or less. A $5 jumper cable between the radio and SWR meter is also necessary...
SWR

http://www.worldwidedx.com/general-...tizens-band-radio-radio-how-buy-part-1-a.html

Optional - but not necessary...
100 watt RF amp can be had used for $50. A 3 ft jumper cable to go between the amp and radio will cost $5
You will need a 20 amp supply to run the amp and radio together. Used for $40/$65 new. Sometimes cheaper.

Hope this helps.
Ask more questions after some reading. It helps...

(At this point I know I'm in the wrong section haha it started off pretty much correct but has now morphed into a more general thread)

Should I just get any CB antenna?

^to the post above this^ For once I seem to be getting lucky here. Got the cobra CB at a garage sale for $5 I can't GUARANTEE it's function but I did talk to one guy while stuck in traffic the one day when I had it in my car(I had a 3 ft antenna that my dad had for some reason. It was all bent up and awful). The mic came with it. The power supply, my dad had one and he has said "I don't know what I'd do with it.. Can you use it?" and handed it over. Need to get the coax and the antenna. Dish has wired my house twice for satellite signal distribution... I'm wondering if they would question if I took the extra co-ax out of the floors and used it....

Last edited:
Yes, a mobile type CB that normally operates off the car's electrical system can be used as a base station radio with a regulated power supply and base antenna. Lot's of people start out with a set like that. Get a decent antenna up as high as you can, feed it with a quality coaxial cable, and you can get on the CB band for very little cost and see if it works for you. Most of the "Base Station" CB's out there have exactly the same radio guts as the mobiles, with the addition of the built in power supply and a bigger, prettier cabinet. Other than that, no difference between the two other than maybe a couple hundred bucks....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.