• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Very new. Very confused.

Robb,

Do you keep editing your post or do I just keep missing pieces? There seems to be more and more to it every time I read over it. Awesome information though thank you very much. I'll be reading for a while once I get home.

Also, thanks for the info Highlander! (I'm trying to avoid double posting as much as possible but in some cases it's necessary so someone knows I replied without having to look)

I think the best advice at this point is to use what you got till you get a 'feel' for things. Then you can change what you think my need changing.
Using the coax already in the place for 'dish'? Nope, don't do that, it's not going to be the right kind/'size' and not have the right connectors on it. Why mess up something that might be useful as is, and a royal PITA to use with that CB radio?
Nothing says you can't use what you've got till can do 'better', and then again, that 'better' is a matter of definition. If you're doing what you want to do, then what's wrong with using what you got? Don't expect miracles no matter what the advertising says! There are a huge number of us with less than 'perfect' set ups who do just dandy. I think that as you get more acquainted with the hobby, you will have a better idea of what's worthwhile doing, and what may not be so worthwhile. The thing is to have fun with it!
- 'Doc

(Pssst! It's 50 ohms.)

For a good starter CB antenna, you can't go wrong with the A99. Cheap, lightweight, plug and play, works decent for it's simplicity. If you want something a little better performing than an A99, but short of putting up a multi-element directional array, you could go with the Maco V-58, which you can get from Copper Electronics for quite a bit less than 160 bucks. More like 125-130 at most, depending on your location. I can get one shipped to Central IL for 121.99. That's comparable in price to the Imax-2000 (which I own and like a lot) but the Maco is better and will hear stuff that the A99 and Imax won't, given the same mounting location/height. The potential downsides to the Maco over the other two are that it is not plug and play, it needs some attention to getting it properly put together and tuned. It is also bigger and has more windload than the others.

Just a side note: There are many here who prefer to use a mobile with a power supply as a base setup.

Now you just need a piece of coax, I like RG-8X myself, and your antenna.

Is the A99 directional or I don't know what to call it... Multidirectional is the simplest I guess? I want multi

The CB thing is an easy way to get started for a fairly low price, but how do you know if there are any people using CB in your area? One thing that makes Ham Radio appealing is that you're not nearly as limited to just the one band. With ham radio, if there aren't many locals around you that you can talk to on the air, you can still talk to people all over your state, country, other parts of the world, etc. Sure, you have to study a bit to take some tests, but they're not that hard. That said, the CB is a way to get your feet wet in a radio hobby to see if you want to pursue it a little further.

Another important distinction between CB and Ham is that CB does allow for business related communications, as in using the CB service for money-making (pecuniary) interests. Amateur (Ham) radio does NOT allow for business or money-making communication, with a very narrow exception for Hams to buy, sell, or trade radio-related equipment on the air. It is meant strictly as a hobby communications and emergency/public assist service.

To follow up on what Moleculo was saying, the tests are quite easy to pass nowadays. If you go to eham.net and check out the online practice exams, you'll get an idea of what is required to get your license. This is a great forum for all things radio-- CB, Ham, Shortwave listening, Scanning, Hunting radios, etc.

I think it will help you a lot if you hang around here for a few weeks, plus do some research on the web before you decide to buy anything. Like some have said the antron 99 would work great for you, but be sure and get good quiality coax or you will regrete it. As you were asking it will pick up signals in all directions, a beam antenna concentrates the signal in one direction(not the A99) When skip conditons permit it is possible to talk all over the world with a stock radio. Someone else could probably explian skip better than me though. If you buy a radio I recomend getting one that has ssb. Sparkys cb shack has the galaxy 949 on sale now for under $100 I belive. It has ssb and would be a great radio for you. If you shop right and still buy new gear you should have a good settup from anywhere from 200-300 dollars. I hope this helped.

I think it will help you a lot if you hang around here for a few weeks, plus do some research on the web before you decide to buy anything. Like some have said the antron 99 would work great for you, but be sure and get good quiality coax or you will regrete it. As you were asking it will pick up signals in all directions, a beam antenna concentrates the signal in one direction(not the A99) When skip conditons permit it is possible to talk all over the world with a stock radio. Someone else could probably explian skip better than me though. If you buy a radio I recomend getting one that has ssb. Sparkys cb shack has the galaxy 949 on sale now for under $100 I belive. It has ssb and would be a great radio for you. If you shop right and still buy new gear you should have a good settup from anywhere from 200-300 dollars. I hope this helped.

This was helpful thank you. I see you're from West Virginia. Do you run CB? Maybe I'll try to reach you haha

Yes I run CB, usually ssb as you can talk farther. Whenever skip conditions permit I have talked to PA before so anything is possible. I cannot stress getting a ssb radio enough though trust me it will pay off.

I thought I had a cobra and was a little disappointed when I got home to find out it's a 'Midland' is this a bad brand? I mean I paid $5 for the unit so it's not a huge loss if it is but kind of disappointing... It's a Midland Weathermax III

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.