• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Video of my setup

hobie102

Feb 25, 2014
Here's a video I did today of the cb setup for the house and the car. Really working good now but can't seem to get out to the west. I thought I made contact with Manitoba this afternoon but can't be sure. he's on every day. This mountain behind the house is a real problem. I would have to shoot almost straight up to clear the summit. That being said, great day dx'ing. Here are the contacts just today on the stock Uniden 980 ssb: Miami,Ft Lauderdale,North Miami Beach,orlando FL,Stuttgart Germany,Frankfurt Germany,Netherlands.Thanks again to this dx community!(y)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syfOPfE6yLU

Reactions: 1 person

I think it's a really great radio for the money. I've seen them as low as $116. So far so good. Fingers crossed!

Its creating a ground-plane for the antenna to work against. Without a ground-plane the antenna will not radiate properly. Or it's to hang clothes...

it's for both!:D I wanted to use twine but i don't want it to saw my head off in the dark coming from my neighbors house. As it is now I'll just run into it and the shock chord will spring back and I'll land at the bottom face down in the brook.

Cool vid nice setup but ... if those are my numbers on that card it should be 1183 . lol

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

Correction noted haha. I guess I gottta update the card too. Give me more work to do would ya?:drool:

Awesome video, that antenna setup is nice and the groundplane is insane.
imagine that thing with a 3 element beam antenna attached to it.

Do you run the same radio in your mobile station?

Awesome video, that antenna setup is nice and the groundplane is insane.
imagine that thing with a 3 element beam antenna attached to it.

Do you run the same radio in your mobile station?

Yes, I just rip it out of the office and throw it onto the armrest in the car. I'm making a bracket for the truck this weekend w/ an so-209 (?) so I can spin the Sirio on it to use when I'm road tripping with the Hobie Cat.

I'm going to have to look at what a 3 element beam antenna is (???). I keep thinking about using a beam style (moxon etc.) to really focus the transmission and reject the noise. You keep tormenting me with ideas. I love it so keep on throwing suggestions my way. It's like throwing a t-bone steak to a rabid, starving coy dog.:w00t:

I'm making up a rack from a plastic storage bin that use to have plastic trays for storage so an can put my SSB an amp in one thing an put in my truck with just hooking up a few wires . Keep you posted . Kind of a bug out radio kit .

I'm making up a rack from a plastic storage bin that use to have plastic trays for storage so an can put my SSB an amp in one thing an put in my truck with just hooking up a few wires . Keep you posted . Kind of a bug out radio kit .

Post a picture of it when done. Would like to see it.

Since you're a Sirio owner, look into the Sirio Tornado base ant. and get rid of that mobile whip. I use the Tornado, $88 shipped. Get a D104 for in the house? Nice VW!

Since you're a Sirio owner, look into the Sirio Tornado base ant. and get rid of that mobile whip. I use the Tornado, $88 shipped. Get a D104 for in the house? Nice VW!

The tornado looks like a beautiful antenna. I was really impressed with the craftsmanship of the Sirio Turbo and the Tornado looks typical Sirio. Unfortunately it's an omnidirectional antenna and that's not the next step in the evolution here. Really need a beam and will most likely be a Moxon. I have a limited budget and really trying hard not to get fanatical over this stuff where I end up dumping huge amounts of cash trying things out. So far the setup I have with the radio,antennas,Ranger mic are all getting me out wherever I want to go,barefoot. I refuse to run an amp. I just can't get to the west except when mobile because of the topography where I live. I'm building the beam for increased gain and rejection to really help punch thru to Europe and elsewhere. Really, the only things I'll actually have to buy is the coax and the 12 gauge copper wire. The most expensive part of it is the coax. Sucks!

I know all about being on a budget and not trying to spend to much and all it has done is cost me more when I just had to get something better lol! Unless you are way out of the norm just buy good the first time it is cheaper and you don't have to do it twice. You should have a base and a mobile set up you will find this easier and if you have people at home it's a fun way to stay in contact but don't expect good results talking locally because of the 16 hour a day skip. There are ways to keep in local communication during this bombardment of noise all day but then we're talking $$ and a good radio guy etc etc

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.