• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What am I hearing?

n8hensley

Jan 15, 2012
Hey guys,
I can't figure out what I'm hearing. It's nine beeps/pulses, followed by a longer beep/pulse. It just repeats that pattern over and over. I'm hearing it on 4770 kHz (or thereabouts). I assume it's a utility station of some type, but I can't find any reference to it. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks

Hey guys,
I can't figure out what I'm hearing. It's nine beeps/pulses, followed by a longer beep/pulse. It just repeats that pattern over and over. I'm hearing it on 4770 kHz (or thereabouts). I assume it's a utility station of some type, but I can't find any reference to it. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks

The more sw listening you do the more you'll realize there are signals all over the place like that. Some I can identify as data but there are many that are just plain wierd.

hmmm...I hear it again today. Only this time it's seven beeps, followed by a longer noise. And just now, as I write this at 0048 UTC, it quit all together. Whaaa?

does the noise part sound like a modem or varying tones?
agree its some sort of data most likely.
i never did id some of the stuff i have heard.

How far from an airport are you? Are you in a flight path, for take off or landing? It could be tower transponders and the signals may be for navigation.
Sometimes, certain bouys in large waters use transponders instead of light houses. It depends on where you live.

How far from an airport are you? Are you in a flight path, for take off or landing? It could be tower transponders and the signals may be for navigation.
Sometimes, certain bouys in large waters use transponders instead of light houses. It depends on where you live.

I live in Chicago, so I'm close to two airports. I'm also next to a large body of water (Lake Michigan).

At any rate, I'll try to record it next time I hear it.

...I'm trying to upload a video of the signal, but I can't get it to work. Fiddlesticks!

Last edited:
http://www.facebook.com/v/298603470188833

Hopefully this link works.
I heard the signal again today (2/3/12 @ 1738 UTC), but on a different frequency (10895 kHz). Meaning, of course, it might not be the same signal. But it sounds the same as the one I mentioned earlier, so you can get an idea of what I've been hearing.
...unless the link doesn't work...:thumbdown:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.