• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What are the current flavor of dual final radios?

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
Since I have decided to not run an amplifier, I'm considering getting a dual final radio (something like a Connex 3300HP), although I did talk over seven miles this AM with nothing more than my barefoot PC76XL; so I'm not sure it will gain me much.

What are the current flavors of dual final radios with good audio?? I've been away from exports for over five years now...I'm sure things have changed? It was the General Lee and Connex 3300HP at that time, not even sure where to look at this point. Seems all the exports are more than just dual finals today...and I don't really want to go that route.

looking for am or ssb? on the am side not much has changed in the past five years other than the looks. you can get strykers and magnums, both good on am. the magnum 257hp is an 80watt ssb radio for just over $200, easily the best deal.

honestly i would add a small amp for around $80 to your current setup. that will get you up around 100w and be all you need. somthing like a kl 203 off amazon or hyelectroincs

I think the days of the term "dual final" radio are kinda gone. With everything being mosfets now the term does not mean the same thing at all. Then you add the RFX units and all bets are off.

I understand what you are saying though. I have been running a 257HP for almost 2 years now with great results. Radio does 70-80 watts pep on ssb. I also just picked up a nice used Delta Force radio that I just sent in to be gone over. A Delta is the classic old school dual final radio for sure.

That's what I figured...dual final is old.

I'm looking for a straight AM, probably less than 50 watts, preferably with echo built in? The reason I don't do a small amp is that I don't want to do that install in this truck. I've thought I might try a magnum (like an s9)?

Flavors?

Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, Butterscotch...or Neapolitan? :bdh:

You could just add a RFX 75 to what you have, and get close to 100w's!
Lot's cheaper than buying a New 40w radio....

RFX 75 is added to the back of your radio...Think they run around $75 installed.

what mode you mstly use? am or ssb?
if am only the general lee and connex still is best imho
if ya want ssb galaxy 959 is decent, but there is better
the 2950 is a good bet
and the magnum 257
not alot has changed in 5 years.

OK, dredging this back up...I've been looking, probably going to buy a new or newer used radio. Maybe even stop at Bob's CB next week on my way to Indiana (sorry DTB, that's just the way I'm headed).

It seems you basically have two choices: less than 100 watt versions and more than 100 watt versions. I've looked at Connex (wow have they added models), Galaxy, Magnum, Stryker (got a line on a Stryker 447HPC locally, if the guy will call me), General...reading posts, it seems you either like a radio or hate it.

Staying in the less than 100 watt category, what are the better choices? Looking for durability and good receive...preferably under $300? I like the look of the Magnum S380 (I like the no-frills, old school Cobra 29 look, with the 80 watt output). That's sorta what I'm looking for...

I don't believe that the Magnum S3, S6 or S9 are in production anymore.... If you can find one that is terrific.

But, the new product out of Magnum for non ssb radios is the Raptor II AM/FM radio.... 80 watts is what is rated at, but, can usually get almost 100 watts from it right out of the box.

Magnum still has the 257HP and the S45HP.... All three radios rate approximately the same output, but, these two are SSB radios and the S45HP has a few more bells and whistles. I have these radios and they work very well....

These radios are not set up from the factory for CB frequencies, so, someone has to do the conversion. This can be done by you easily. But, if your not comfortable with it, a tech can for you.

I love the new cobra 29LX and if the install is done properly the RFX75 on the radio will give you everything you want in an AM olny mobil with good clean power. The S9 is over 100.00 more with lots of bells and whistles but for Mobil I would say cobra. Second choice is the Geleral lee they also have a 100 watt model now. but the standard model will suit you fine.

I'll 2nd the General Lee for primary AM use. Good peak & tune you should see 40~45W, great echo, good spread of extra channels and FM as a bonus.

I just saw on a retail site that "the newer General Lee's don't have the 10khz switch"

I didn't know that. I would need that feature myself so maybe best to make sure a Lee you're getting, either new or used, has the switch.

Good luck with whatever rig you go with.

I have a line on a Stryker 447HPC I'm probably going to pick up. They seem to have good reviews. Its a little more flashy that I was looking for, but that aside; it should fit the bill?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.