• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What do you think is the best Omnidirectional antenna for 11 meters ?

A few locals have a vector 4000 style antenna and they work very well. Theirs were made by a local guy back in the day, he used the materials he had so some seem to be more durable than others.

This one looks like a tank
http://rfjunk.com/_p_63.html

Ever since Mr coily came on the MD forum asking for advice on some issues he was having with his suburban and went off on everyone that brought the antenna system into question I have a hard time respecting him as a business man. He's thrown a couple of fits on that forum like that over the years.

Last edited:
A few locals have a vector 4000 style antenna and they work very well. Theirs were made by a local guy back in the day, he used the materials he had so some seem to be more durable than others.

This one looks like a tank
http://rfjunk.com/_p_63.html

Ever since Mr coily came on the MD forum asking for advice on some issues he was having with his suburban and went off on everyone that brought the antenna system into question I have a hard time respecting him as a business man. He's thrown a couple of fits on that forum like that over the years.
I admit Dan is not Mr. Personality...But he builds a good product.

My Coily day after I put it up, and a freezing rain coated it in ice. Saturday it was 81° when I raised the tower, and the new antenna...That night a cold front blew in dropping the temps down in the 20's with freezing rain...OVER a 50° drop in temperature in less than 24 hours! "Welcome to Texas!" (this was in 2013)
gRy3ayf.jpg

I'd like to thank everyone for there in put, Thank you.
I am not sure what I will be putting up, as far as the G.P. goes for now....
You all have got me looking into things. I'm going to have my Bambi up (I hope this weekend) soon and will post pics so you all can see what I'm doing here.
Thank you!

I admit Dan is not Mr. Personality...But he builds a good product.

My Coily day after I put it up, and a freezing rain coated it in ice. Saturday it was 81° when I raised the tower, and the new antenna...That night a cold front blew in dropping the temps down in the 20's with freezing rain...OVER a 50° drop in temperature in less than 24 hours! "Welcome to Texas!" (this was in 2013)
gRy3ayf.jpg

They are good antennas. His attitude and gain claims are a real turn off though.

Coils are just his gimmick. No one else runs coiled antennas on a shoot out vehicle but I hear the competition is not as tough on the west coast. A land far far away from New Jersey.:D

The original penetrator 500 was a great antenna. I know of a couple that have been through hell and are still in use after a decade or more. The sun will take a toll on the plastic insulators after all that time but you can get replacements from hy-gain. I hope the new ones are built to the same standard.

Silly texan, wide temperature swings are pretty common in the rest of the country. Our town record is 49 degrees in 2 minutes, but it's got nothing to do with an antenna. Just saying....
Just pointing out Ice build-up, and allot of wind didn't bother the antenna in the least...I've read where some ground plane antenna's tend to break under same conditions... Antenna that I put up to replace the Coily originally was a Lightning L4 quad antenna... Had problems within the first 6 months with the wires breaking on that antenna, and then a wind storm finally finished it off after being up almost two years... Antenna I have up now is a MaCo shooting star, and it's been threw allot worse storms than the Lightning went threw, and nothing has bothered it...(least not yet)

Is 10' above the roof peak the maximum antenna tip height, or bottom mounting point height?

Maybe I'm thinking too small, but if I were in this situation with 40' of available height with no mast needed, and an almost infinite amount of metal groundplane roof, the first thing I'd do is put a aluminum tube 1/4^ long, or steel whip right in the middle of house and see how well it worked.
I'm a simple guy, and this don't seem to be complicated.

Reactions: BOOTY2
Is 10' above the roof peak the maximum antenna tip height, or bottom mounting point height?

Maybe I'm thinking too small, but if I were in this situation with 40' of available height with no mast needed, and an almost infinite amount of metal groundplane roof, the first thing I'd do is put a aluminum tube 1/4^ long, or steel whip right in the middle of house and see how well it worked.
I'm a simple guy, and this don't seem to be complicated.
Tried it a s.s. whip (102in.) X=0, R= 36...38. but swr 3+. could not get it right... could not make holes in roof so had to use mag mount...not my fav. mount.
got new coax coming from DX eng. and got a Sirio 2016 coming too from dnj or something like that, should be here soon, 3-4 days. And the metal roof plays games with my loop....x=0 but R=134+ swr 3.6 is the best I can get.

Reactions: gamegetter
Use a 4:1 balun at the feedpoint and bring the impedence down. You shou end up witg about a 1.1:1, or 1.2:1, SWR.
Not difficult to make. Can be done with ferrite core, or a piece of PVC and two pieces of wire (Google it). Or purchase one.

I lived in rural Texas in an old farm house with a tin roof and a RadioShack 5/8 wave antenna. It was the quietest base station I have ever had. Be sure to ground in at least two places. I could hear people that could not hear me. Their stations were not as quiet as far as electrical noise as mine was. When they had S4 noise I had less than S1.
I always thought of the metal roof as a benefit not a hindrance.

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.