• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is he trying for???

bigred222

Key Up City Radio
Aug 28, 2006
Stamford, CT
www.cbjunk.com
can anyone tell me what this is and how it works because it all looks very weird to me but probably looks great to the guy who made it and to the educated eye.

WTF2.jpg

WTF.jpg

~BIGRED~

Looks like he's trying for multi-directional output.
Because you never know exactly where the receive station is in a key down. so he is trying to cover all aspects.

:D

I remember seeing pics of this van a while back.... pretty wild looking machine.

If I were to guess as to his setup.... its looks like he is running 2 cophased fullwave folded dipoles on each side... he has 4 radials, 2 on the front and 2 on the back of the vehicle. He put them on an upward angle to try to keep his angle off radiation (takeoff angle) aimed right at the ground for. He is trying to get as much power as he can to stay close to the ground.

I'm not even sure those are folded dipoles... it could be full wave antennas bent around to keep the hight down.

Basically, it looks like he tried to make 2 cophased ground plane antennas work on a moble. The 4 antennas coming up on an angle on each corner of the vehicle are radials... they are angled up to try and keep the signal down on the ground.

But the 2 main antennas are on each side of the mirror... they are either cophased full wave antennas that are folded.... or 2 cophase full wave folded dipoles.
He is just trying to keep his signal low to the ground and get more gain by running longer antennas and co phasing them.

The guy had to be pretty smart to engineer that monstrocity... never mind get the thing to work good with a low match. The fact that he is actually using the thing at a keydown makes me believe he got the thing tuned with a good match.

I would like to hear what that thing sounded like and how he did using it. Maybey someone on here knows.

Impressive to say the least

How did he do using that setup?
I can't believe the amount of work some guys put into a keydown truck.... just to load it on a trailer... take it to one spot and key for a half a minute.
I can't imagine the hours this guy put in getting the antenna set up. The ac stuff inside alone must have took a bit to do.
Alot of man hours in that truck.
Did he at least do well ?

bushwacker said:
How did he do using that setup?
I can't believe the amount of work some guys put into a keydown truck.... just to load it on a trailer... take it to one spot and key for a half a minute.
I can't imagine the hours this guy put in getting the antenna set up. The ac stuff inside alone must have took a bit to do.
Alot of man hours in that truck.
Did he at least do well ?

He won the A/C sky class last year at J-ville. Going to see what he does this year in just a few weeks..

when i made this post i was thinking, its gonna take someone like fl_Native Switch kit or bushwacker to to figure this out, because it looks like alot more than just some thrown together crap.
Props to sha-sha for one rad looking keydown van.
:-D BIGRED AND IM STANDIN BY :D

ONLY 17 days to jacksonville ladys. hope yall got your shtuff ready
the anticipation is so great i can hardly contain my self :) even though i still need a way to get there :x

linearone said:
That is sha-shas' AC sky competition van. I saw him win AC sky last year in Jacksonville.... its trailered, and runs on alcohol.

The antenna design reminds me of FM broadcast stations...

It sure as hell works

you are correct and he is the AC champ!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.