• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what NPC/RC mod looks like on a scope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin, can you do the mod again with the 1N4001 and a 100ohm, with a tone, use the same scope settings and take a quick pic?

</p>

OK I might be missing something here, so you guys help me out, here are the Pictures...

tonescope.jpg

and

DX55onScope.jpg

If I look at the two, the top Picture is what I was taught to look for in a properly modulated AM signal, and looks better (to me)than the bottom one. Not to mention that the work did not have to be done to modify the radio pictured at the top,is this correct, or am I not understanding something?

Jeff

<span style="color:eek:range;font-family:helvetica;font-size:large;">RadioActive</span>

20040427_0100_eit_171.gif

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=audioshockwav>AudioShockwav</A> at: 12/22/04 8:50 pm

OK I might be missing something here, so you guys help me out, here are the Pictures...

tonescope.jpg

and

DX55onScope.jpg

If I look at the two, the top Picture is what I was taught to look for in a properly modulated AM signal, and looks better (to me)than the bottom one. Not to mention that the work did not have to be done to modify the radio pictured at the top,is this correct, or am I not understanding something?

Jeff

<span style="color:eek:range;font-family:helvetica;font-size:large;">RadioActive</span>

20040427_0100_eit_171.gif

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=audioshockwav>AudioShockwav</A> at: 12/22/04 8:50 pm

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>...if you go full CW you start getting the lag at zero and clipped pos. peaks.<hr></blockquote>

Do you mean using a tone (bypass the mic gain), you get the lag and clipped peaks? That would be the same as what the pics I posted showed, except the peaks weren't clipping. I'd still like to see the video clips...if you can't get them hosted, you can email them to me and I'll host them.

What's "wrong" with the pattern you posted is that it's not symmetrical, which is usually the way a "normal" properly modulated AM signal looks. An NPC pattern can't be symmetrical by definition. There are quite a few hams, as well as some broadcast stations that do the same type of thing on AM as Justin said, but they don't do 200% modulation. On any good receiver the AGC would kick in and the received signal would start clipping well before it got to the 200% modulation point. Of course nobody ever accused a CB or export of being a "good receiver"!!!! So I guess what's "wrong" with it is more a question of what you're trying to achieve. If you want that much modulation, then I guess nothing is "wrong" with it.

A big problem with a lot of these CB NPC mods is that they mess up the radio elsewhere....

I still like Concrete's idea of taking the time division out of the pics...

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>...if you go full CW you start getting the lag at zero and clipped pos. peaks.<hr></blockquote>

Do you mean using a tone (bypass the mic gain), you get the lag and clipped peaks? That would be the same as what the pics I posted showed, except the peaks weren't clipping. I'd still like to see the video clips...if you can't get them hosted, you can email them to me and I'll host them.

What's "wrong" with the pattern you posted is that it's not symmetrical, which is usually the way a "normal" properly modulated AM signal looks. An NPC pattern can't be symmetrical by definition. There are quite a few hams, as well as some broadcast stations that do the same type of thing on AM as Justin said, but they don't do 200% modulation. On any good receiver the AGC would kick in and the received signal would start clipping well before it got to the 200% modulation point. Of course nobody ever accused a CB or export of being a "good receiver"!!!! So I guess what's "wrong" with it is more a question of what you're trying to achieve. If you want that much modulation, then I guess nothing is "wrong" with it.

A big problem with a lot of these CB NPC mods is that they mess up the radio elsewhere....

I still like Concrete's idea of taking the time division out of the pics...

</p>

i find this very interesting. at what point in the circuit are the x and y sampled. i would like to do this myself. i have been playing with these mods for a couple weeks now and would like to scope things out HIHI

scope smope.....who cares.you guys worry too much about what a signal looks like on a scope .

do we talk to other scopes?no we dont ,we talk to people .
if people say your radio sounds good and its someone you can trust .then just run it for gods sake .

its only ham operators that care about things like what it looks like on a scope .

when i start talking to scopes ,then i,ll care what my radio sounds like to a scope......geeze..ease up a little..lol.

what about this "ppe" mod ??

i done this mod on my general lee(its another diode/resistor mod on the voltage regulator)and all i can say is "wow"she be swinging now .real bird watts ....18 average bird from any key .for kicks i cranked it up to a 20 watt deadkey and it still went forward to 25 bird average after doing this "ppe" mod .i dont run it that way obviously but the watts are there .

befor this mod the radio would key 5 watts and not move much ,a cobra could have walked on it .not anymore .this is not a volting the final mod either .

are you familiar with this "ppe" mod?seems to have done a whole lotta good for my lee.

fnkycoldmedina,
Don't read any further if you don't want your feelings hurt. Sorry.

This is a typical response from someone who just doesn't understand, or want to understand what's going on. That 'O'scope is the only way that you will be able to tell if a signal is not distorted unless it's distorted extremely badly. Human ears just are not 'calibrated' well enough to make that sort of distinction. It isn't intuitive.
A tiny bit of NPC isn't objectionable because you can't hear it. That doesn't mean that it isn't there, and isn't objectionable, only that you can't tell it. Why is it objectionable? Because it is inefficient. Simple as that. It's also an advertising ploy, which means not true, which alone is a very good reason not to do it, aside from it just being dumb. If that 'PPE' is what I think it is, Positive Peak Enhancement, it's just the other side of that NPC 'coin', it's still worthless.
None of this is new by any means. It's probably as old as 'AM' is. The sad part is that some people never learn. There's nothing 'new' with CB radios. It's just the same old stuff rolled in a different batter and fried the same old way. If you think it 'tastes' good, be my guest.
- 'Doc

If that 'PPE' is what I think it is, Positive Peak Enhancement...
- 'Doc

I think you are correct. Same as Enzyte and Vaz-o-dyne and all those pills that keep Smilin' Bob smilin'...

Bob isn't smilin' because he is in a state of "positive male enhancement". Smilin' Bob is smilin' 'cause he just took your money!

Reactions: freecell
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.