• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What would be the reaction if Hams used 11m legally using their calls.

KM3F

Apr 2, 2011
Pros and cons!
The band does not require any ID, so as far as I know there is no part 95 or 97 rule to prevent it.
Would it demonstrate good operating practice if done without a lot of foolishness and have some point of value such as discussions and net operation procedures etc.?
Non use of power mikes and cranked up audio etc to show what a good stations sounds like etc.
Any body doing it or let us know how it goes if you do it.

They ain't got the balz but I could just use your's and find out how it works, what say you Ken ?

so i gotta ask , what type of legal (court/jail) issues would a cb'er get into using a ham ID that isn't theres on the CB band ?

Pros and cons!
The band does not require any ID, so as far as I know there is no part 95 or 97 rule to prevent it.
Would it demonstrate good operating practice if done without a lot of foolishness and have some point of value such as discussions and net operation procedures etc.?
Non use of power mikes and cranked up audio etc to show what a good stations sounds like etc.
Any body doing it or let us know how it goes if you do it.

What would the point of that be exactly? I'm sure those hams who drive the rusted out Suburbans with 45 antennas mounted on top, sides, bumpers and trailer hitch attachment ( one 2 meter rig, clipboard and scanner inside) already do that. I am a ham by the way. Extra Class since 1989.

P.S. At one time hams did use their call signs on 11m. ;)

You should start using your callsign when you talk on your mobile phone as well, after all that is radio frequency communication.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
so i gotta ask , what type of legal (court/jail) issues would a cb'er get into using a ham ID that isn't theres on the CB band ?

One would have to ask would the risk out way the benefits? sure and as stated in another thread one would have to be tracked and unlike cellphones cb radios do not emit any traceable code so unless said transmissions would have to be triangulated by some entity ;) and not some trio of rambo self policing brainyacks who seem to need something more full filling to subsidize their puny little existences.

Not sure of the reasoning. 2 separate services. That callsign doesn't have any significance on CB . Sort of like asking if it would seem odd if someone with a business radio would use his business callsign on CB . I guess you could use it if you want to.

Reactions: W4KVW

I could be mistaken, but IIRC a ham can only use their call on the amateur bands. The FCC does not grant them permission to use it elsewhere.

I operate my CB without echo and =<100% modulation with a maximum of 12 watts pep. I get unsolicated comments all the time about how good my radio sounds. No need to use my call to set a "good" example. My station does it for me. ;)

If the ham you were impersonating had irrefutable evidence then they could have you arrested for identity theft.

One would have to ask would the risk out way the benefits? sure and as stated in another thread one would have to be tracked and unlike cellphones cb radios do not emit any traceable code so unless said transmissions would have to be triangulated by some entity ;) and not some trio of rambo self policing brainyacks who seem to need something more full filling to subsidize their puny little existences.

Every radio (even the same brand/model) has it's own unique signal or "fingerprint", so if the FCC did get involved it would not be difficult for them to identify the radio used...even if you had several on the premises.

If the ham you were impersonating had irrefutable evidence then they could have you arrested for identity theft.

But there are no callsigns on the cb side of things, you can call yourself whatever the hell you wish.

I could be mistaken, but IIRC a ham can only use their call on the amateur bands. The FCC does not grant them permission to use it elsewhere.

Really? Yo mean they can't be used for website URLs and on auto license plates?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.