• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's your favorite 'vintage' CB rig?

Some of the best years of my cb life were spent on a Cobra 85 Dynascan , Wilson 5/8 wave antenna (baught by MACO) and about 100 watt little Afterburner and D-104 . I talked all over the world on that little dude !! I used to think that little radio was magic.
cobra85.jpg

my favorite radio

My favorite radio and it still guards the air waves
TRC 441 am base 40 channel with a pride 150 and a top hat at 20 feet.
I have 2 of these off e bay for 5 bucks each and they work....
Call me anytime on chnl 13 am

doctor

Had a cobra 139 cobra 2000gtl and a pierce simpson (cant remember the model) All good radio IMO had alot of fun with them all but the ones I remember most were the modified rigs like the Trams and Brownings never owned one but would have loved to!

PLUTO said:
...but my all time favorite is the Yaesu FT-101EE (though not really concidered a CB) I still have the same one after 20+ plus years.

I have an FL101-FR101S-FR101D lineup; the two receivers came with crystals for their 11M bandswitch positions.

Neat receivers. They have their limitations (no IF shift, notch filter, etc) but are really fun to use on the 75/40/20/10M AM nets. I currently have an amplified D-104 mic hooked to the transmitter; run with a small amount of preamp gain. The rig gets excellent reports.

I'll say one thing about the -101 line as a whole: If you don't severely abuse them, the radios will last darned near forever...most of today's rigs simply cannot make that claim.

N8YX said:
PLUTO said:
...but my all time favorite is the Yaesu FT-101EE (though not really concidered a CB) I still have the same one after 20+ plus years.

I have an FL101-FR101S-FR101D lineup; the two receivers came with crystals for their 11M bandswitch positions.

Neat receivers. They have their limitations (no IF shift, notch filter, etc) but are really fun to use on the 75/40/20/10M AM nets. I currently have an amplified D-104 mic hooked to the transmitter; run with a small amount of preamp gain. The rig gets excellent reports.

I'll say one thing about the -101 line as a whole: If you don't severely abuse them, the radios will last darned near forever...most of today's rigs simply cannot make that claim.
Oh yeah, the old 101 series were built well. At one point I had 3.....2 EE's and an EX, One of the EE's I still have. Around 3 weeks ago I traded for a FT-101 (the ones with the white power/heater switches) in great shape only the tubes wouldn't light. Checked all the "obvies" then noticed a heavy thump when I would turn it over......loose transformer. After removing the case. the 4 bolts holding the trans. was backed out ~1/8th inch :?: after tightening them, I applied power and turned on the heater.......the tubes came to life. It works fine except the RX needs a little alignment......not bad for ~30 dollars ;) My apologies for straying off the topic.....73's. Pluto

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.