• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which radio would you buy if...

In my original posting of this thread, I explored what I thought were the most practical radios that I felt would fill the need to operate as I saw best. The end choice was the OmeagaForce which I purchased and then on a later post I listed the many features of this somewhat hard-to-find unit.

After the last two weeks of having it hooked up to a brand-new IMAX 2000 and a fresh 50 ft piece of Belden 9913Flex coax, I thought I would share my opinion. Since people still have been adding to this thread, I just thought that an up-to-date was in order and the right thing to do.

When I first put the antenna and the coax up, I used a TR-696FD-1 that was purchased from, then tweaked and peaked by Sparky's CB. I hooked up with CB'ers in my area that I didn't even know were still on the radio after over 20 years past - for a whole week. Then I decided to hook up the OmeagaForce and give it a spin. Let me say this: this radio did not disappoint.

I bought the OmegaForce slightly used from eBay from a guy that advertised it as a CB radio. I sent him a PM and made an offer before the eBay policia pulled its listing. After only a little haggling, we agreed on a price and it was paid for thru PayPal. The shipping took two weeks instead of one; no fault of the seller as this transaction took place before Christmas.

It finally arrived and sat until the day I unhooked the Ranger 696. After hooking the OmegaForce up and checking the SWR, I then started a QSO and got a report that my signal was strong, but the modulation was almost nonexistent. I then opened up the back of the stock power mic and found that the internal pot was almost completely turned down. I then turned it to 85% open and then put it back together. Wow; what a difference that adjustment made! The reports came in by the droves; this radio is a bona fide talker. The stock mic is so good that an additional mic isn't really necessary. This mic also has an 'up/'down' channel function on it as well. The radio also comes equipped with a second 4-pin mic plug so that two different mics can be used alternately. A D104 would be the right piece for the second plug.
Nice!

Going to the manual for the radio, I figured how to maneuver the knobs and function buttons. I then turned on the TopGun Modulator w/o the roger beep, set the LCD to read frequencies instead of channels - and once again went back to the radio check wheeze. If I was getting good reports before, now I was breakin' needles from those within 8 miles of urban sprawl. I then turned the RF output all the way down to 4 watts dead key, and then turned the mic gain to the 1 o'clock position and read my meter bridge. Modulation was saturating and swung from 4 watts 25+ watts. The happy spot was found, and good reports from as far away as 35 miles later that night were noted. I had a QSO with one guy on 10 meters and we both checked SSB and FM functions. He had an Emperor 5010 that I helped him wire a D104 to, and both radios were operating flawlessly. Overall, I think the OmegaForce is a fantastic radio. Even the talk back and echo functions were both pristine and exceptionally clear. If you find a good used one somewhere for a fair price, I would say that you found a well-rounded radio that is powerful and feature packed. You don't really need to hack, modify, or add anything to it - it's all there and runs great.
Good Hunting...

Last edited:
i love mine. only thing i did different with mine than yours is i turned
the stock power mic all the way up.then i set the mic gain to 12oclock
as mine was turned down almost all the way.wow what a difference
i like the idea of being able to store the freq. and mode also.not even rci
can offer that.very handy in mobile when changing channels and freq. also

Which radio would you buy if...
You wanted a 10 and 11 meter radio that has AM/FM/SSB.
A built in freq counter, and a good sized meter movement.
Legal for a HAM with a Tech ticket.
Power isn't an issue, as I am picking a legal but decently modulating radio?
Can it be done for $250?
(y)
RIP
Now days something made by Anytone would fit the bill.

Reactions: Holydvr

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.