• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

wilson 5000 vs 10K

IM personally a Wilson kind of guy , IM very sure from reading about the 10K's over the last few years that they are fine antenna's without a doubt in my mind ! , I think it is really ones perfferance in what one wants to use and for what purposes. yeah sure on a big rig or a big ole suburbin I could see a 10K but IM not trying to put anyone down here ,I've see them on cars and trucks and I must admit that they surely stuck out like something from another world ,but a 102 incher will kind of do the same thing unless it's on some off road buggy type of deal .....I live in Los Angeles , and the older I get the more I like to keep a low profile of sorts , The Wilson 1000/5000 gives me that look ,it holds power nicely and transmits and receives right up there with the rest of them and 9 times out of 10 will give you a great match everytime !! real nice and easy like !! I ran a Fransis Amazer for a few years once and it might have been the best 10.00 antenna I every ran to this day ? .....I had both Wilson drill through mount and lug mount egg shape mount for my Fransis .......I did a few test of my own from 20 or 30 miles away .....they both seemed to transmit the same but of course the Fransis had just a little bit more receive on it .....not that much of a differents but enough to say Hey dude !! .....These Wilson will and can hold there own !!! .....16 years later ....the song remains the same. It may not be the best antenna on the planet but I think it holds it's own and has earned the respect of a good antenna . (they sure put the K-40s out to pasture)

i agree with switchkit i am a wilson guy all the way i have tried many antennas. but i always come back to my wilson 1000 roof mount. 1.1 swr very easy to tune!!!

Bobby :LOL:

Im sure the coils do a great job but I run a Wilson. Like swichkit said if I had a Burb I would get a coil. Always heard them coils smoke with alot of groundplane like a burb supplies but my little Nissan and 350 watts that Wilson does fine.

10K you get the WOW factor

I have run a lot of antennas and I think Kale makes an awesome antenna. He will correct anything wrong asap. You can also reach him on the LL :) Great guy. Now I also have a couple wilson 1k's and a couple wilson 5k's and trucker 2k's. But then I got 3 of kales antennas. It depends on what Im doing as to which antenna I run ;) I have never had any problems tuning in either antennas. Although I will say that the 10K flat stinger does have less static. Other than that I dont have any legit side by side comparison's I can comment on.

Mr Clean said:
Im sure the coils do a great job but I run a Wilson. Like swichkit said if I had a Burb I would get a coil. Always heard them coils smoke with alot of groundplane like a burb supplies but my little Nissan and 350 watts that Wilson does fine.

Got a question for you guys with Wilson experience.
I am currently running dual 3 ft firestix on my pickup.
Do you think the 3 ft Wilson Gold would be an improvement?
Input appreciated.

Master Chief said:
embalmer42 said:
I agree with Switchkit. I am a Wilson guy all the way. I have tried many antennas, but I always come back to my Wilson 1000 roof mount. 1.1 swr, very easy to tune!!!

DITTO!

not knocking a wilson, but just because something tunes flat, doesnt mean that it cant be beat by a 10k even with a higher swr. if u have the right setup u can get a 10k flat no problem.

Hardhead said:
Mr Clean said:

Got a question for you guys with Wilson experience.
I am currently running dual 3 ft firestix on my pickup.
Do you think the 3 ft Wilson Gold would be an improvement?
Input appreciated.

Firesticks seem to work very well for what they are Hardhead. Wilson products have always seemed to hold there own. I just put 1 W-Silver on a guys motor home not to long ago and it matched out great and he sounds like a base station (for what that's worth ?) 88 ? Don't think anybody was really knocking the 10K or even saying it was a bad antenna , hell !! I never heard a bad report about that antenna so far . I think it's just a matter of conveniance for the users and Wilson's are decent enough and low profile enough to get the job done at hand. Happy Holidays

I doubt you'll notice any difference between a 3' Wilson Silverload and a 3' Firestik.

The Wilson 1000/5000's are great antennas and so is Kale's 10K. The 10K will take WAY more power than the Wilson, and it's probably lighter, too.

I have got to believe that those 10Ks have some weight to them ? .......more so then a wilson I would think ? even the monkeys have some weight to them .more then a wilson.

Well, I haven't put them on a scale, so I can't say for certain. I do know that the 10K of Kales is really, really light due to the aluminum construction. That monkey made is really heavy compared to it. It would be interesting if someone had both and would tell us the weight....

Switch Kit said:
I have got to believe that those 10Ks have some weight to them ? .......more so then a wilson I would think ? even the monkeys have some weight to them .more then a wilson.
Switch Kit, the 10K is made out of .o58 wall 6061-T6 heat treated aluminum tubing. It is feather light. The tubing is tapped out and all parts are screwed together. NOTHING PRESSED. A welded together antenna will weigh quite a bit more because it requires a thicker wall in order to prevent burning a hole in the tubing. The 10K is feather light and weighs in ounces, not pounds. If RF travels on the outeide, the thinner the better. Kale

OK .....so what your saying is that it is way lighter then a Wilson 5000 load with it's stinger ? (Wilson 5000 load and stinger weigh 14oz's so IM sure the 1000 is more then likely even a few oz's lighter then that) .......OK then ......I've dealt with a monkey made and it had plenty of weight to it (I don't have one on hand but I would bet between 2 to 3 pounds on the one I dealt with easy) ....I'd say that antenna was pretty solid or so it seemed.So how much does a 10K weigh ? Now I know there are a few different models as well ? I think this might be interesting to know. Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.