• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

wilson 5000 vs 10K

Hey guys ? IM still waiting on a weight measurement on that 10K ......none of you have a scale to get some numbers there ? ....single coil long or short ? dual coil long or short ? thanks

The 10k tunes much better on reflective wattage than any antenna I've seen, But for a low profile antenna and Big Balls I'll stick with my wilson. Haven't seen any magical difference between mines yet. I'm sticking with the wilson.

lol, I'd almost be willing to say that the 10k is lighter than the wilson lil wil, if not, it's pretty damn close. I haven't got an actual weight on it, no scales round here, but when I get to work Tues, and no one has given a weight, I'll give you the weight of my 10k, 9 inch shaft dual coil antenna.

stoncrusher's answer

Sorry I lost track of the thread for awhile. By keeping the grounding as short as possible I was referring to the ground braid in the coax. Ground it to the mount in the shortest length possible. I drilled a hole and attached the braid with eyelet and small bolt and nut.

i run a 10k i see a big differnce in rex and tx plus i only buy 1 10k and not a wilson 5000 every 6months

Re: 10k

FROGMAN27 said:
i run a 10k i see a big differnce in rex and tx plus i only buy 1 10k and not a wilson 5000 every 6months

Not trying to be funny or anything but what's the big difference you talking about? If you have to buy a 5000 every six months then your installing it wrong. Had mine almost 5yrs and haven't had a problem. Now I'm not saying the 10k isn't great antenna. If your talking about anything over a 1db or 1.5db in gain then your numbers are magical.

If you dont run a whole lot of power in them they are great . The wilson is a good antenna but they dont handle the power i run . With the 10k i see 2-3 s unit incresse on rx and tx . I also run a 3pil into a 12pil so i like the 10k for the power it handles. Also i have seen the plastic on the wilson crack from heat and everyday abuse (hitting low branches).

It's kool DCOWBOYS i know your not being funny your just keeping it real..

That's what I was going to say. Anything over a 8pill then the 10k is the way to go. I'm just keeping it real as well.

The best thing Wilson ever made was the Wilson baseball mitt.... 10K will smoke a Wilson hands down..... there is two ways to go, that is world wide or city wide... It's a 10K World :D

40 run a 1x4 with the same set up side by side, one antenna. If the 10k gains anything over 1db then your living in a fantasy world.
Your right when running large amps, it's a 10k world.

Dcowboys

I have done the test with the 10k vs. Wilson 2000 trucker. It's been awhile and I really can't remember the numbers. They both tuned pretty close as far as bandwidth with flat reading. I think the 10k was maybe just a few channels wider. The 10K does do much better in the reflect numbers. As I remember the recieve was where I noticed the biggest gain for the 10K. How Much? Don't really remember though I think it was alot more than your 1db gain. Transmit again was more than the 1db gain. How much more who knows. I still have the Wilson 2000, although I don't need to prove anything to myself anymore. You can't beat the 10k. I have pretty much done all the testing I need to do. Nowadays I just run the gear. Hell I don't even run a meter in line anymore. With the 10k and a 2 and 4 pill both biased amps i see no need to. My stuff never gets hot or even overly warm. Even after 1 hour of talking. MFJ259B gets me R50 and X 0 with both my systems. Reflect is next to nothing. Wilson is a good antenna 10k is just better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.