• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

X-flare 'Wipeout'...

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA

Attachments

• x flare 1.PNG
    x flare 1.PNG
    450.9 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: 6 people

Band went out like someone flipped a switch. I was working a zl and a w4 both stations 30 over 9 the w4 went mid sentence, 30 0ver to gone with no warning.The zl came back for a few seconds s1, then gone.Quiet for the rest of the day. Thought it had to be a flare.

Reactions: 2 people
Robb .... That is a great visual display of what a flare pointed towards earth will do. I read about one flare so strong back in the days of telegraph communication(1800's) some lines were set ablaze and some operators reported seeing "ball lightning" come into the shack and off the ends of the wires. One of that magnitude should it happen today, would wipe out a lot of modern radio computer equipment, cpu's in auto etc.

FLARE

Interesting, I was on ARMY MARS and all the stations except one disappeared entirely, and same with the other nets nothing.

DOCTOR 795

Reactions: 2 people
Robb .... That is a great visual display of what a flare pointed towards earth will do. I read about one flare so strong back in the days of telegraph communication(1800's) some lines were set ablaze and some operators reported seeing "ball lightning" come into the shack and off the ends of the wires. One of that magnitude should it happen today, would wipe out a lot of modern radio computer equipment, cpu's in auto etc.

Hanes and Fruit of the Loom stock would skyrocket, though. It all evens out...:whistle:

They can create some strange conditions on 10M as well.

My experience has been that 10m is usually the first to go. There may be a bit of "strange stuff" going on but usually it just dies. 6m comes alive with raspy Aurora fluttery signals and 2m picks right up as well. SSB is usually hard to copy and even CW is raspy sounding a lot of tbe time.

Reactions: 1 person
Having worked several skip cycles over the years I'm beginning to realize we are likely at the beginning of the end. I looked at the solar cycle and asked myself "how many years do you think skywave is going to last? Aren't we coming up on about 4 years of conditions? No doubt these flares cause major disruptions on HF but I have been seeing a downward decline in DX activity for months and figured I'd mention it because the inevitable is on its way.

Having worked several skip cycles over the years I'm beginning to realize we are likely at the beginning of the end. I looked at the solar cycle and asked myself "how many years do you think skywave is going to last? Aren't we coming up on about 4 years of conditions? No doubt these flares cause major disruptions on HF but I have been seeing a downward decline in DX activity for months and figured I'd mention it because the inevitable is on its way.

I've seen 4 , and i thought I'm getting old. Agree about it winding down.

Interesting note:

May 24th might hold some interesting propagation due to a likely massive meteor shower from debris of an old comet trail.
Might want to mark your calender.

Last time this happened was a few years ago (2009?).
Talked to Australia and South Pacific (S-9++) and many other locations until the wee hours of the morning. . .

Interesting note:

May 24th might hold some interesting propagation due to a likely massive meteor shower from debris of an old comet trail.
Might want to mark your calender.

Last time this happened was a few years ago (2009?).
Talked to Australia and South Pacific (S-9++) and many other locations until the wee hours of the morning. . .

Purely coincidental. Meteor trails leave ionized paths that only last seconds at most. A REALLY good burn will support communications for half a minute at best. Meteor scatter comms take place on VHF and UHF usually with 6m being the usual lower limit. Most ping jockeys use high speed CW or data modes. If you monitor the FM broadcast band sometimes you can hear the occasional word blurt out of nowhere if you are on a free channel.

Speaking of ping jockeys: Ping Jockey Central by NØUK

Reactions: 1 person
Purely coincidental. Meteor trails leave ionized paths that only last seconds at most. A REALLY good burn will support communications for half a minute at best. Meteor scatter comms take place on VHF and UHF usually with 6m being the usual lower limit. Most ping jockeys use high speed CW or data modes. If you monitor the FM broadcast band sometimes you can hear the occasional word blurt out of nowhere if you are on a free channel.

Speaking of ping jockeys: Ping Jockey Central by NØUK

Supposed to be a long shower over 24-36 hours; could be big or a fizzle:

ScienceCasts: NASA on the Lookout for a New Meteor Shower - YouTube

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.