• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU FT-857

Of course it has a "stock" filter for SSB and CW, but it also has optional available.

It works fine without the optional.

I would not buy the Yaesu SSB or W4RT SSB filter as you will notice very little.

I bought the Inrad SSB filters and they work quite well.

Unless you are a serious dxer, with a fine tuned ear, you will only be wasting money. If you are looking for the best, spend a lil more dough and buy a high end rig like a Icom 756 pro2 or Yaesu ft 950/ 2000. But If its strictly mobile or small rigs you want, You will be more than happy with the ft857. If your used to 10/11m rigs on SSB the 857 will blow these away in that dept. But dont expect much on AM. They sound clear and clean but because its not true high level modulation, it wont be loud like a connex or galaxy rig. They perform on AM about like a HR2510 or Emporer 5010 would. Hope this helps!

By the way, If your going mobile, get the ATAS 120a antenna, It works fantastic and doesnt look like a tellephone pole!

Unless you are a serious dxer, with a fine tuned ear, you will only be wasting money. If you are looking for the best, spend a lil more dough and buy a high end rig like a Icom 756 pro2 or Yaesu ft 950/ 2000. But If its strictly mobile or small rigs you want, You will be more than happy with the ft857. If your used to 10/11m rigs on SSB the 857 will blow these away in that dept. But dont expect much on AM. They sound clear and clean but because its not true high level modulation, it wont be loud like a connex or galaxy rig. They perform on AM about like a HR2510 or Emporer 5010 would. Hope this helps!

By the way, If your going mobile, get the ATAS 120a antenna, It works fantastic and doesnt look like a tellephone pole!

Well, myself I have to disagree with you on the ATAS antenna. I had the ATAS 120A and it worked good for me UNTIL it rained, then it would stop tuning. After awhile it would dry and tune again with no problems. I bought the Mini Tarheel II and the Turbo Tuner and had great luck with that antenna, even in sub zero weather here in the Mid-West.

Well I was offered one new for $500.00 the guy is a collector as I am with ALOT of radios. I was looking for something all mode for my wife right now I was switching between either her 2 meter rig or her HF rig. 2 radios in there is just a pain in the @$$.

I figuerd that 857 would work good due to the fact that its an all band all mode radio and would be a little more handy than her Kenwood TS-50 and matching TS-50 tuner. The tuner is nice but I think an ALG auto tuner would work great on that 857.

I was going to get something setup in spring but I was told that $500.00 was actually a pretty good deal and that these 857 are about $800.00 normally. Anyways thats what this was all about. I was wondering about filtering because one guy said that radio was noisey he thought unless it was something in his area causing the issue.

We would also use that radio on the other bands 15 20 40 ETC and I just wanted to make sure there was atleast filtering for SSB which there usually is atleast something as far as I know or have seen in most radios.

yeah if its a D model and it works good then 500 is a good price. Does it include the seperation kit?

You have a PM

Ok tomorrow Ill be getting that 857 to try out. Any of you have any suggestions on settings or? Any tips on operation? Also I was told by another person that these radios have noisey recieve is this true or is it maybe that this other person had interference issues do to location? I heard most people say this was a great radio and most love theres.

I am kind of excited to try this radio out seeings how it has the modular plug for the Microphone like my FT-450 has and I have an MFJ-297 desktop microphone I can use with it and the mic has an FM-SSB selctor on the bottom and some FM option buttons on the face or top but my FT-450 doesnt have 2 meters and my FT-2800 radios have a smaller modular hookup like a telephone plug unlike the eathernet style of the microphone and the FT-450 and FT-857 so I never got to try the mic out that way.

I just thought it would be nice to chew on 2 meters with a desk mic instead of holding that damn handheld microphone I guess my HF rig setups spoil me that way but with this FT-857 Ide have it made either way well untill the wife put the 857 in her car but I dont know she is really partial to her Kenwood TS-50 I actually really like that rig to though Its quite a little workhorse and a breeze to run once the menus are all setup LOL

I just got a brand new FT-857D from AES yesterday, have not even unpacked it yet.

Get yours unpacked and we can get on 40 meter and talk or even 80 meter?

Ok that will work providing they get here tomorrow we got snow dumped on us tonight but I am sure it will be cleaned up by this morning these guys are comming over to look at some stuff I have forsale and bringing things they have like this Yaesu 225RD 2 meter all mode base with tone board. The guy wants to trade me that radio for this KLV550 amplifier I have the radio is next tp perfect and has the tone board so well I think Ill do the swap aslong as the radio works on the test fireup.

There bringing some yaesu HT's and kenwood mobiles antennas and stuff aswell there was one of those guys interested in some Maco beams I have and I have 3 or 4 super scanners here aswell there eyes lit up about. I wont know until they get here but I have your phone number from last spring when you went to the dells so I can call and we can get on 3.913.00 and I can test that 857D and let you know how I did on the equipment swaps (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.