• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU FT-857

Well Ive played a little with this 857D and its a pretty cool little radio the wife likes the fact that the display can be changed to quite a few diffrent colors she liked the purples and the bluish greens. Anyways Ill have to try it on 2 meters but I been messing with this 2 meter base station which is also really cool. All in all the 857 from what Ive seen so far is a nice radio but needs some filtering the voices however punched right through on 75 meters..

oh , so your rollin on 3.913 huh? well my fish is done smoking gotta get that out and in the vacuum sealer. i'll stroll down stairs and give a listen around 1930hrs.

My 857d had pretty bad audio for voice when I first got it as well. There are a few menu settings for SSB carrier and passband offset. I played with these for a few evenings and when I was done I couldnt tell the diff between my yaesu or Icom 746 with ssb filters. The yaesu is def not a plug and play rig. But I guarantee if you take the time and set everything up, you will be more than happy with the rig like I was. If you have any questions about her, just ask. Also this is for anyone who has the ATAS antenna and it wont tune. I have a friend who is a retired Yaesu Engineer, and he told me a very simple way to get Any ATAS antenna to tune regardless, as long as it has good ground. Yaesu wont tell anyone the fix because it requires going into the "hidden menu" But It was VERY easy and fixed my problem like a champ!!!

My 857d had pretty bad audio for voice when I first got it as well. There are a few menu settings for SSB carrier and passband offset. I played with these for a few evenings and when I was done I couldnt tell the diff between my yaesu or Icom 746 with ssb filters. The yaesu is def not a plug and play rig. But I guarantee if you take the time and set everything up, you will be more than happy with the rig like I was. If you have any questions about her, just ask. Also this is for anyone who has the ATAS antenna and it wont tune. I have a friend who is a retired Yaesu Engineer, and he told me a very simple way to get Any ATAS antenna to tune regardless, as long as it has good ground. Yaesu wont tell anyone the fix because it requires going into the "hidden menu" But It was VERY easy and fixed my problem like a champ!!!

PM me with the ATAS info if you must, but please let me know:confused:

In the hidden menu, there is a setting for cw or tune carrier. I forget, I have been deployed for the last year but will be home in 9 days. So if you need more specifics I can get them when I get home. But basically all you need to do is turn the setting up one value at a time until the antenna tunes fine. You dont want to do too much at a time because this does affect power output while antenna is tunning and you want the minimal amount possible for SWR reasons while the transmitter is running. This is why some rigs tune fine and others dont from the factory. Because one rig might be transmitting 6 watts where the other is doin 4 watts on the same setting. Just write down your values b4 changing anything and you dont notice a diff, put the value back to original. It worked great for me and only needed to be brought up 5 values. I believe you can set it between 1 and 255. I believe the setting was called CW CAR. I hope this helps.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.