• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yes, one of those noobie questions and help posts

I would run the longest I can

Find out where your repeaters are located before choosing the antenna. If the repeaters in your area are located on tall buildings or hills, you will not gain much by using antennas longer than 1/4 wave. Happy_Hamer on this site has an interesting story about how he could not hold repeaters in downtown Chicago with his 5/8 wave antenna, but had no problem with a 1/4 wave. Most of the repeaters in downtown Chicago are on the top of the buildings.

1/4 wave antennas are cheeeeeaaaaap! :)

Almost all of them in the area are on top of Cheyenne mountain, well above NORAD. Dont recall the elevation, but 10k feet I believe? Its to the SW of town. My apartment faces north however.

One antenna I am seeing, a Comet SSB-1NMO, is a 1/4 wave for 2m, 1/2 for 440, and is really flexible. That looks like it may work for me. I could probably do a roof mount with that. Is there any real advantage to NMO mounts vs pl-259 style?

One antenna I am seeing, a Comet SSB-1NMO, is a 1/4 wave for 2m, 1/2 for 440, and is really flexible. That looks like it may work for me. I could probably do a roof mount with that. Is there any real advantage to NMO mounts vs pl-259 style?

The only advantage that I know of is that the NMO doesn't stick out as far (isn't as tall). I'm not sure what other advantages there might be.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.