• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

yet another dipole question......

Yes Robb, I too have seen that chart a hundred times before too. I would like to know what methods he used to determine those numbers and also just how much of it is believed simply because it exists in a nice colorfull chart. I am basing my above post on what the manufacturer recommends as well as what countless thousands of operators had success with before G3TXQ came up with his somewhat now "famous" chart.

What you do not want is metal, especially a grounded object INSIDE the core of the choke. It will act as a transformer and HEAVILY couple the RF into that object which in some cases may be re-radiated. Toroids of course respond only to em fields inside the core and have a self-shielding effect from their surroundings.

lol ok, i wasn't sure i just thought i detected some..... i was wrong....... again:( lol

Yes Robb, I too have seen that chart a hundred times before too. I would like to know what methods he used to determine those numbers and also just how much of it is believed simply because it exists in a nice colorfull chart. I am basing my above post on what the manufacturer recommends as well as what countless thousands of operators had success with before G3TXQ came up with his somewhat now "famous" chart.

I would be glad to read your sources if you would link them here.

Always reading - anyway.

I thought the original question was about shortening the dipole by using helical winding the dipole elements? If so, one could just buy two hamsticks and make a dipole that way. Just a simple thought.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought the original question was about shortening the dipole by using helical winding the dipole elements? If so, one could just buy two hamsticks and make a dipole that way. Just a simple thought.

it was lol, you know how things get side tracked.

what are wam sticks?

It was indeed but somehow Robb decided to throw a curve ball and start talking about choke coils even though it was obvious to the rest of us that the OP was talking about loading the elements.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/amateur-radio-antennas/142779-yet-another-dipole-question.html#post383566

It was indeed but somehow Robb decided to throw a curve ball and start talking about choke coils even though it was obvious to the rest of us that the OP was talking about loading the elements.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/amateur-radio-antennas/142779-yet-another-dipole-question.html#post383566

No curveball. It was that Oldslowchevy had three posts about his ailing dipole in the last two days alone. Thought I would air it out and see if we could find out what the problems were. He never mentioned that he had a choke on it before now.

What you do not want is metal, especially a grounded object INSIDE the core of the choke. It will act as a transformer and HEAVILY couple the RF into that object which in some cases may be re-radiated. Toroids of course respond only to em fields inside the core and have a self-shielding effect from their surroundings.

Robb;383596[B said:
]I would be glad to read your sources if you would link them here.[/B]

Always reading - anyway.

Sources of what Robb? I said I would be interested in knowing how G3TXQ came up with his info. No source to link too for that except my post above.

I also stated that countless thousands of hams have had success before G3TXQ came up with his somewhat now "famous" chart. This is a fact that one only needs to ask at the local ham club or check the assembly manual of many,many antennas. I could link to all the antennas I know of but lets just say start with the Cushcraft and Hygain sites. Unless G3TXQ came up with his chart about 60 years or so ago i stand by what I said about hams making out just fine before he came up with it.

As for the part about metal inside the coil causing a transformer effect I guess you just need to understand electrical principles a little bit better. I'll give you an example. I was working at a concert one time where the electrical guys were having a bitch of a time getting the proper voltage and current to the main stage lights. I forget the total current but it was a few hundreds of amps. The current is irrelevant but the principle is the same here. The main HEAVY power cable was strung over a railing where a single turn was made to take up the strain of the weight of it. this railing was grounded at both ends. After checking EVERYTHING over and over again we were talking about it. I turned around and placed both hands on the railing. It was HOT! The railing was acting like a single turn transformer winding and the more the lighting current that was drawn the more the coupling into that railing and the more it coupled the lower it dragged the voltage and the more current it drew without being delivered to the lights. I told them to take the one turn loop off the railing and try again. SUCCESS! The problem went away. This is the same principle applied to the metal INSIDE the RF choke winding.If you want links go look up basic electrical transmission theory.

Other than the above which I have explained I am at a complete loss as to what else you could possibly want.

if i set my dipole for 11 meter for 27.185 each side has to be 8' 7-5/16" long, 17' 2-5/8" over all.

now can i shorten the over all length by coiling the leads around some pvc or a wooden dowel as long as i keep each wire at 8' 7-5/16" long, even though the whole antenna may only be 8-10' long by coiling the leads.

i really hope you understand what i mean.

You can but it will not be tuned to 27.185 any more. You cannot simply take a tuned antenna and wind part of the elements into a coil to shorten the overall length without drastically affecting the tuning. The entire antenna will need to be retuned and the impedance at resonance will no longer be 50 ohms but rather something less. The efficiency of such an antenna will also be considerably lower than a full sized antenna.

ahhhh, all part of the learning curve.

the reason behing the question was like many cb antenna that have the "load coil" like wilson and k-40 as well as many others have, were designed to shorten the antenna.

i was thinking (not always a good idea) that in theroy it could work.

If you were thinking of a choke coil; the dipole wires is NOT where it goes.

The choke coil is used on the top end of the coax - just below where the dipole wires are connected to the coax.

A choke coil for the 11m/CB band requires 5 turns of coax tightly wound together on a 4.25 inch diameter coil form.

It is just that simple - yes.

No curveball. It was that Oldslowchevy had three posts about his ailing dipole in the last two days alone. Thought I would air it out and see if we could find out what the problems were. He never mentioned that he had a choke on it before now.

The above are the first posts in this thread.The "leads" he is referring to are the element wires themselves and not the feedline.That is the only way the element would be shortened. Making a choke at the feedpoint from coaxial cable would not shorten the elements to half size as he said.My point was that he never mentioned anything about choke coils in his posts before you started talking about them. It was clear in his first post he was talking about loading of the elements by coiling the element wire. Somehow it lead to you discussing choke coils. Am I being picky and refusing to give in on this? Hell yeah!! I have had about 10 hours sleep since 9:00am Wednesday morning, about 105 hours ago, and I have had just enough coffee and sugary icy freezies to push me over the top to somewhere between a total wreck and a jittery madman. :blink: Time to go grab a single Mike's hard lemonade and get plastered. (y)

Reactions: 2 people
The above are the first posts in this thread.The "leads" he is referring to are the element wires themselves and not the feedline.That is the only way the element would be shortened. Making a choke at the feedpoint from coaxial cable would not shorten the elements to half size as he said.My point was that he never mentioned anything about choke coils in his posts before you started talking about them. It was clear in his first post he was talking about loading of the elements by coiling the element wire. Somehow it lead to you discussing choke coils. Am I being picky and refusing to give in on this? Hell yeah!! I have had about 10 hours sleep since 9:00am Wednesday morning, about 105 hours ago, and I have had just enough coffee and sugary icy freezies to push me over the top to somewhere between a total wreck and a jittery madman. :blink: Time to go grab a single Mike's hard lemonade and get plastered. (y)

DUDE!, get a drink a showwer another drink and go to SLEEP. and you are right about what i was going after, kinda like the wire wrapped around a fiberglass antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.