• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

BERINGER 802

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
I've been fooling with a Beringer 802, shure Sm 58 with an interface on my Madison. I've gotten reports from great to not so good. I've tried a few different settings and quite frankly I'm tiring and am gonna go back to my silver eagle d104. It's hooked up to my final version madiison. I've been bothering locales to help me dial it in. I tried using the only set of headphones I own to listen and dial it in myself but the only set I own are 40 year old telex. These phones IMO just aren't capable of hearing the difference in the audio tones as I turn the high, mid and low knobs. Would purchasing a $30 pair of modern headphones make a difference in being able to hear the changes myself or, should I save the $30? It's my first foray into any type of mixer on a IMO decent CB (for it's time). This is a picture of the last settings on the Beringer. If I'm gonna have to keep adjusting the knobs to suite everyones receive I'm going back to the d104. Iyo might I eventually get this to sound good and crazy glue it? The mic gain on my Madison is set to about 8 o'clock. That the lowest I can get it to where the Sm 58 picks up audio. If these anyone who uses this setup and can either add a photo or tell me where they've got their settings would be appreciated. I might be able to get a good starting point. The mic gain on the Beringer 802 is about 11 o'clock and the Madison's audio as is stock (limiter intact). Driving a triple stage phantom and this is setup is for ssb as I use a sonar 2340 on AM.

. Forgot to mention im only using the left side and they pan is all the way left. Ive read the 802's manual but most if lt is greek too.me. I do know what the 802's mic gain, mid, high and low do but the other three im not sure what the main mix and leval knobs do. The far let knob seems to raise the audio output as the higher in turn the modulation meter swings more as does the phantoms output and I see that on my mfj 828 but not sure if this changes lthe tone. Also not sure what the level knob does. And the red tipped FX not sure if it accurately adds reverb of another item is needed but not interested in any echoeffects. Unless it actually works without having to add something else and will help get everything sounding better. I was told not to let the green led's (two of them) Reach the yellow light as this indicates clipping clipping.. I found getting there first green LED to slightly flicker as I modulate to sound best As far as that I'm lost.. Thanks a bunch. 73 IMG_20160515_223418982.jpg

Last edited:

Settings are not that universal.
Most guys that use AM only will have their own means to monitor the transmitted signal. It is called a "AM demodulator". Might want to Google that. Not hard to build your own or to use.

For starters, I would not run the input gain(at the top) no more than the 1 o'clock position, pan should be in the middle, run the EQ flat in the middle, then turn up the channel gain to no more than 12 o'clock also. The mains out should be at zero; then turn it up slowly until you can hear the level with the AM demodulator.

Last edited:
Most guys that use AM only will have their own means to monitor the transmitted signal. It is called a "AM demodulator". Might want to Google that. Not hard to build your own or to use.

For starters, I would not run the input gain(at the top) no more than the 1 o'clock position, pan should be in the middle, run the EQ flat imn the middle, then turn up the channel gain to no more than 12 o'clock also. The mains out should be at zero; then turn it up slowly until you can hear the level with the AM demodulator.

For starters, I would not run the input gain(at the top) no more than the 1 o'clock position, pan should be in the middle, run the EQ flat imn the middle, then turn up the channel gain to no more than 12 o'clock also. The mains out should be at zero; then turn it up slowly until you can hear the level with the AM demodulator.
I will read up on the demodulator but, for now I'd basically just like to use this on ssb as the Madison is my ssb setup. The 802 is currently where my sonar belongs. I'd like to get it dialed in so I could put it on the bottom shelf and my AM rig back where it belongs. With the 802 on the bottom shelf I can still make any ocasonal adjustment if needed but, my hope is too not have to touch anything once it's set. I don't want to like other's keep turning knobs and asking for radio checks. fortunately at the moment that's exactly what I'm doing.
After reading the short description and suggested settings send along with the interface I understood from that piece of paper that the pan knob should be turned all the way to the left as I am only using the left side. I will set it where you suggested and see what happens. As you know nothing's permanent on this 8:02 and I have no problem trying anything to get it 2 sound what I hope to be better than my silver eagle d104. I do have a double microphone box with a switch so, I could go between the d104 and the sm58 Behringer setup. I since removed it and I'm just trying to get this Behringer to a point where I get some nice audio reports or, at least better reports then the old standard (d104) which on my Madison weren't bad at all. On the contrary I usually get "nice audio" but it's all about learning and improving.. I hate to sound so ignorant Rob but, I really don't know anything about my stations operational Electronics short of keying the microphone. I am learning but my next question will give you an idea of how little I know.. Which knob is the channel gain as, it's not labeled that. Would that be level knob? The input gain which I'm getting from you is labeled mic. It's right below the sm58 input, correct? it's currently set at 11 o'clock so, it is before 1. What you're suggesting is set the high medium and low at 12 o'clock, correct? I apologize but, I'm not embarrassed to say I'm not exactly sure which one is the main out. Can you point that out for me. I will read your reply later on in the morning when I turn everything on and adjust everything as per your suggestions. If there's anything else you can add it would be greatly appreciated. Truthfully Rob, if it weren't for this site I still would be without an antenna. I really enjoy operating 11 meters. Especially dxing above the allocated 40 channels. My silver eagle d104 actually got very decent reports. Had a qso with a station in Canada about 6 months ago. I was so impressed with his audio I asked him his operating conditions and he explained the 802, sm58 and the interface so, I purchase those three items with all the necessary cables. Before I received anything I did a bit of research and found out that my purchase might have been in a haste. A few weeks ago I was sandbagging when I heard another DX station with another Cobra and the exact same setup. It's then I decided to open the boxes and hook everything up. I do own a two microphone position box. I was using it at first and going back and forth between the d104 and the 80 2 set up. I've sent remove that box and and trying to get this it dialed in to where it sounds as good or close to the two stations I heard using the exact same setup of course with a different cobras but if I'm correct the Cobra 2000 is a similar chassis to the Madison. My Hope is 2 get better audio from the 802 and sm58 then I do with the Silver Eagle. Any other information would be greatly appreciated. 73

Attachments

• IMG_20160518_041610.jpg
    IMG_20160518_041610.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 8
When your done experimenting with using a mixer on your radio, I'll bet you will find your audio is better without it.

The purpose of a mixer is to sum multiple audio sources and mix them down to a stereo or 2 mono pairs to a recording source or live amplifier.

The gain pots on mixers is to bring up mic levels which are very low and to bring up line level sources at the appropriate levels for both live sound and recording.

Your radio already has a mic gain stage so by using a mixer, you are double preamping which is totally unnecessary and that's why you can't hardly turn up any knobs on your mixer because you have excessive gain by using a mixer.

The only way you might get some use from a mixer is to direct feed the mixer audio into the radio bypassing the radios internal mic gain stage. Otherwise you are gaining nothing by using a mixer with your setup.

If you feel you need EQ, then there are other ways to patch your mic into external EQ's without double preamping.

One thing I keep saying about using all kinds of external processing is, The more processing that is done to a signal, the further from the truth you are getting. EQ by definition is a process of altering natural sound. Unless going for a special sound or effect, the Pro audio industry, usually uses it as a corrective tool to help different instruments which all have different frequency ranges sit in the mix so they can be heard.

A lot if ham guys are just as bad as cbers tinkering around with all kinds of pro audio gear and incorrectly I might add, and are compelled to use it or over use it since they bought it and just have to use it.

Just a word from the wise to consider.

Figures Robb would use an outlaw freebander for an example.

Here is a clip of DX station with W8ERN who has a fantastic broadcasters voice who I haven't had a QSO with in a while.

He uses no external processing just his IC 756 pro 3. He does use some of the radios internal processing though but definitely in the proper manner.

Notice how strong and intelligible W8ERN sounds. Granted we don't hear the DX station on air but you can tell on the clip he will have a heavy un-natural processed audio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonar
Figures Robb would use an outlaw freebander for an example.

Here is a clip of DX station with W8ERN who has a fantastic broadcasters voice who I haven't had a QSO with in a while.

He uses no external processing just his IC 756 pro 3 and the DX station using external gear. He does use some of the radios internal processing though but definitely in the proper manner.

Notice how strong and intelligable W8ERN sounds. Granted we don't hear the DX station on air but you can tell on the clip he will have a heavy un-natural processed audio.

Incredible audio! Outstanding! That station obviously has a voice made for radio which definitely helps. Me myself have an excellent face for radio but not so much on the voice. I'm from Noo Yawk. I'm sure you understand.

Yeah, I always was in awe over Angelo's(W8ERN) voice and even more his mannerisms and radio etiquette. His voice reminded me of the late Paul Harvey from the A.M. commercial stations.

I thought that clip of his audio would be good to point out that all you need is a good radio, good mic, and speak up with an intelligible voice, you don't need a bunch of external pro audio gear much less echo and reverb either.

Best to use pro audio gear for pro audio work.

Reactions: DXman
What I'm doing is running my turner +3 into the gear then out to the radio.
I can adjust the gain on the Turner then use the tone controls and the FX for some great audio.
I tried a real XLR mic and it sucked.
You need a super expensive studio mic to get the killer audio.
These can handle the input of the turner, it can handle phantom so it shouldn't be an issue.

I still have to change the one xlr to trs for the behringer cause it doesnt have xlr out, I might do both to trs....but this is what I've been using on my courier, it has a trs mic jack so I use a 4pin to trs adapter type situation for the turner +3

IMG_1279.JPG

Last edited:
What I'm doing is running my turner +3 into the gear then out to the radio.
I can adjust the gain on the Turner then use the tone controls and the FX for some great audio.
I tried a real XLR mic and it sucked.
You need a super expensive studio mic to get the killer audio.
These can handle the input of the turner, it can handle phantom so it shouldn't be an issue.
Just because you tried a XLR type mic, it doesn't mean it was a good one. Good mics can be had for around $100/more and sometimes half that much used with xlnt results. Some homework is needed.

As you can hear for yourself in the video I posted earlier on this thread, you can hear for yourself what a real enhance SSB station can sound like once all the right ducks are in a row. You can find YouTube videos for enhanced AM stations too. It takes a bit of effort to get there, although you have some of the components you need already. Helps to also have some radio mods put back to stock and other components values changed to allow greater width.

As you can hear for yourself in the video I posted earlier on this thread, you can hear for yourself what a real enhance SSB station can sound lik

A totally Ridiculous example given here.

Your clip posted WAS NOT ! an example of processed audio recorded from a radio receiver, but was a live recording in his shack.

I guess you didn't realize that your clip you posted has audio on it taken direct from the guy's computer sound card and that's why the audio sounds clean and in high fidelity stereo audio which never is truly transmitted from any CB or Ham radio like that. It is obviously bass heavy and would be buried alive in less than ideal band conditions not to mention the excessive bass frequencies and wide bandwidth would exceed most radio's bandpass anyway. So most of that tweaking is wasted.

At least my clip was a perfect example to which I said for listeners to focus in on, and that was the Portuguese stations' radio receiver audio and not his clean live recorded sound which also was captured from his computer soundcard. The receiver audio was from a well respected and well known operator with over 50 years of operating experience, W8ERN that is, and a fine example of what a good radio, a good mic, and a well spoken intelligible voice can sound like without using any external processing.

Too bad I can't find an audio clip ( or a watergate as you call them) of the same Portuguese station with audio from another operators radio receiver to compare.

For you being a Professional audio engineer who has recorded and worked with some major artists in recording studios, it seems apparent you still have a lot to learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: 357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Naysayer:
    ARRL paid ransom for their files back from s hack attack? Todays Amateur thread Reddit
  • @ Naysayer:
    In middle of an antenna job. Misplaced paperwork on purchased balun. It's a 1:1 current balun for a dipole that I disconnected a while ago. I purchased the balun from Canadian company where one input connection has a Red Dot. That for the center of coax, right?
  • @ wavrider:
    whats up