• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

BERINGER 802

What is funny is how someone else was talking about the guy on the Icom 756 pro. I am not joking when I say I get compliments just like this all the time. People ask what I am using and when I tell them it's the stock mic aka just a touch of compression, I get the old glue it right there!! DX or locally. And this is just with my Icom 746 and the stock HM-12 hand mic. Sometimes it's how you set your radio up as in coordination with your voice itself. It's like tuning an engine by sound. There are guys that can tune them just as good as or better than any computer can!! JMHO.

When your done experimenting with using a mixer on your radio, I'll bet you will find your audio is better without it.

The purpose of a mixer is to sum multiple audio sources and mix them down to a stereo or 2 mono pairs to a recording source or live amplifier.

The gain pots on mixers is to bring up mic levels which are very low and to bring up line level sources at the appropriate levels for both live sound and recording.

Your radio already has a mic gain stage so by using a mixer, you are double preamping which is totally unnecessary and that's why you can't hardly turn up any knobs on your mixer because you have excessive gain by using a mixer.

The only way you might get some use from a mixer is to direct feed the mixer audio into the radio bypassing the radios internal mic gain stage. Otherwise you are gaining nothing by using a mixer with your setup.

If you feel you need EQ, then there are other ways to patch your mic into external EQ's without double preamping.

One thing I keep saying about using all kinds of external processing is, The more processing that is done to a signal, the further from the truth you are getting. EQ by definition is a process of altering natural sound. Unless going for a special sound or effect, the Pro audio industry, usually uses it as a corrective tool to help different instruments which all have different frequency ranges sit in the mix so they can be heard.

A lot if ham guys are just as bad as cbers tinkering around with all kinds of pro audio gear and incorrectly I might add, and are compelled to use it or over use it since they bought it and just have to use it.

Just a word from the wise to consider.
Please exspand on the "other ways" to patch my mic into an eq without double preamping.
If there's a way that is considered the correct way to use a mixer and CB radio in concert I'm interested.
Will I do it to my Madison?
I doubt it but I totally understand your explanation of what this mixer is and should be used for, it makes total sense.
I guess my learning curiosity bug is biting.
Your answer may help me gain a.understanding of this type of gear.
If and when I get an HF outboard gear might be something I may consider and I need to start somewhere on the comprehension ladder. Thank you. 73

I've been fooling with a Beringer 802, shure Sm 58 with an interface on my Madison. I've gotten reports from great to not so good. I've tried a few different settings and quite frankly I'm tiring and am gonna go back to my silver eagle d104. It's hooked up to my final version madiison. I've been bothering locales to help me dial it in. I tried using the only set of headphones I own to listen and dial it in myself but the only set I own are 40 year old telex. These phones IMO just aren't capable of hearing the difference in the audio tones as I turn the high, mid and low knobs. Would purchasing a $30 pair of modern headphones make a difference in being able to hear the changes myself or, should I save the $30? It's my first foray into any type of mixer on a IMO decent CB (for it's time). This is a picture of the last settings on the Beringer. If I'm gonna have to keep adjusting the knobs to suite everyones receive I'm going back to the d104. Iyo might I eventually get this to sound good and crazy glue it? The mic gain on my Madison is set to about 8 o'clock. That the lowest I can get it to where the Sm 58 picks up audio. If these anyone who uses this setup and can either add a photo or tell me where they've got their settings would be appreciated. I might be able to get a good starting point. The mic gain on the Beringer 802 is about 11 o'clock and the Madison's audio as is stock (limiter intact). Driving a triple stage phantom and this is setup is for ssb as I use a sonar 2340 on AM.

. Forgot to mention im only using the left side and they pan is all the way left. Ive read the 802's manual but most if lt is greek too.me. I do know what the 802's mic gain, mid, high and low do but the other three im not sure what the main mix and leval knobs do. The far let knob seems to raise the audio output as the higher in turn the modulation meter swings more as does the phantoms output and I see that on my mfj 828 but not sure if this changes lthe tone. Also not sure what the level knob does. And the red tipped FX not sure if it accurately adds reverb of another item is needed but not interested in any echoeffects. Unless it actually works without having to add something else and will help get everything sounding better. I was told not to let the green led's (two of them) Reach the yellow light as this indicates clipping clipping.. I found getting there first green LED to slightly flicker as I modulate to sound best As far as that I'm lost.. Thanks a bunch. 73 View attachment 18065

Please exspand on the "other ways" to patch my mic into an eq without double preamping.
If there's a way that is considered the correct way to use a mixer and CB radio in concert I'm interested.
Will I do it to my Madison?
I doubt it but I totally understand your explanation of what this mixer is and should be used for, it makes total sense.
I guess my learning curiosity bug is biting.
Your answer may help me gain a.understanding of this type of gear.
If and when I get an HF outboard gear might be something I may consider and I need to start somewhere on the comprehension ladder. Thank you. 73
Here is one example of an external EQ that won't cause excess level gains and is optimized for voice within the bandpass frequency range that is most common for radio communication. This would work fine for your radio, but you will need to wire your mic to 8 pin mic connectors both in and out to your radio which isn't too hard to do, just use only the 4 or 5 wires you have on your mic now to the corresponding pins.

This MFJ-654 unit below also has a Noise gate (downward expansion) and Compression which would I wouldn't use on AM but is widely used in SSB.

eQSLSearch1.gif

MFJ-654.jpg

For a CB radio running with a mixer, it would require some hacking into it sort of speak which is something other here can maybe give advice on. Even still, most of the audio levels on all that audio gear is still on the high side to light any meters up on the mixers signal LED's without overloading your radio which means you have to pull back on the mixers gain.That's why I said not much is gained by running a mixer if it requires turning things down in order to do so.

On nearly all modern HF amateur rigs, there are accessory jack plug ins that allow easy interfacing of external audio sources like from a mixer to be injected into the radio's audio chain without going through the radio's mic gain stage. So this is relatively simple for us HF radio owners to do.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's how you set your radio up as in coordination with your voice itself.
Good point! Some people are blessed with that broadcast audio voice and no amount of EQ or external gear is going to you there.

So yes, one must work within the range of what they consider their voice to be, either a low bassy voice like James Earl Jones, or a high pitched voice like a young Wayne Newton or somewhere in between.

Reactions: 222DBFL
What is funny is how someone else was talking about the guy on the Icom 756 pro. I am not joking when I say I get compliments just like this all the time. People ask what I am using and when I tell them it's the stock mic aka just a touch of compression.
I was listening to a couple operators discussing the cost of their microphones. I keyed up and asked permission to get in on the conversation. One of the guys said,"Sure. Your rig sounds good what are you running? I told Icom-746 with the stock hand mike.
For some reason they did not believe me. 222dbfl knows what my voice sounds like,
I have been offered many jobs in commercial broadcasting. At the time I was not interested. Most of those jobs were in small market share areas and the pay would not have equaled what I was earning at the time.

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.