• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

BERINGER 802

You're obviously using the heil with a transmitter/tranciver.. Whats the operating conditions?

With the old set-up using the 802 with a sure 58 I had good reports but had to repeat myself a lot to get my call out, with the 781 using suggested settings with minor tweaking I bust through the first time, conditions are relative.

Reactions: Sonar
Well if conditions are bad, I can't get out at all no matter what I do. My antennas are too low down. Using the 802 I had too many jacks and wires hanging around. With the 781 I just use the mixer settings in the receiver.
I saw Bob hiles video about using mixers on trancivers that don't have a f 2.9 for transmitting and the little difference it will make.
On the other hand he suggested using it on the receive and the tremendous help a mixer is in that area.
Well if conditions are bad, I can't get out at all no matter what I do. My antennas are too low down. Using the 802 I had too many jacks and wires hanging around. With the 781 I just use the mixer settings in the receiver.

Note a Beringer 802 is not a mixer to use, its a toy, look at the cut off specs, you need at least at 3 channel equalizer to enhance the Mids. Playing with the 802's bass is ok but the high channel doesn't give enough range. However I do use the 802 for Karaoke, the kids love it!

Note a Beringer 802 is not a mixer to use, its a toy, look at the cut off specs, you need at least at 3 channel equalizer to enhance the Mids. Playing with the 802's bass is ok but the high channel doesn't give enough range. However I do use the 802 for Karaoke, the kids love it!

Old Crow is right a $50 Beringer is not the best choice, Alesis and Beringer make better models around $125 or $75 used with a 3 channel range. This will work better with the mid range on both transmit and receive. My 802 is collecting dust, hope this helps.

Reactions: Sonar and Old_Crow
Just use the mixer as a preamp, then ad eq,compressor ect...
I'm using a madiison with an SM 58 and as you know the Beringer 802.. When exactly is an eq compressor and, how would that get plugged into what I already have. Could you also tell me what the compressor/eq will also me to do. P. S. It's not the money. Had I known I could have gotten something that would actually improve the audio on my Madison I would have gone ahead and got it. At this point I'm not sure if I'm going to add anything to this setup and will probably just go ahead and do what many CB radio operators have already done and continue to, which is purchase and HF. Your answer would be appreciated as I still would like to learn even though I might not consider adding anything else to my station as an option. Thanks for your input. 73

I'm using a madiison with an SM 58 and as you know the Beringer 802.. When exactly is an eq compressor and, how would that get plugged into what I already have. Could you also tell me what the compressor/eq will also me to do. P. S. It's not the money. Had I known I could have gotten something that would actually improve the audio on my Madison I would have gone ahead and got it. At this point I'm not sure if I'm going to add anything to this setup and will probably just go ahead and do what many CB radio operators have already done and continue to, which is purchase and HF. Your answer would be appreciated as I still would like to learn even though I might not consider adding anything else to my station as an option. Thanks for your input. 73
The best thing for starters is to ask people who know you how you sound over the air. Hopefully the will helpful on getting your settings correct. The SM 58 mic is good, but the Heil 781 is better, it's up to you if you want to spend $150.

Reactions: Old_Crow and Sonar
I
The best thing for starters is to ask people who know you how you sound over the air. Hopefully the will helpful on getting your settings correct. The SM 58 mic is good, but the Heil 781 is better, it's up to you if you want to spend $150.
The best thing for starters is to ask people who know you how you sound over the air. Hopefully the will helpful on getting your settings correct. The SM 58 mic is good, but the Heil 781 is better, it's up to you if you want to spend

$150.
Like some many questions asked so many different answers are given.
From your answer I'm guessing you believe one can achieve decent results from a Beringer 802 sm 58, interface and a uniden madiison? I'm going to purchase an HF shortly and won't put anymore money into my setup.
I must say that no matter the replies saying nothing good can come from using the equipment I mentioned my reports have been for the most part positive..
Most reporting my madison sounds much better with the 802 and Sm 58 than it did with the silver eagle.
A few reports even saying the setup sounds as nice as some hf's.
The one report saying outstanding came from an operator on a yeasu 1000 MP.
He was quite impressed. I guess it is possible to get a good sound from a mixer, studio mic and an 11 meter 30 year old CB radio.
Att least this is my experience.. 73.

I

Like some many questions asked so many different answers are given.
From your answer I'm guessing you believe one can achieve decent results from a Beringer 802 sm 58, interface and a uniden madiison? I'm going to purchase an HF shortly and won't put anymore money into my setup.
I must say that no matter the replies saying nothing good can come from using the equipment I mentioned my reports have been for the most part positive..
Most reporting my madison sounds much better with the 802 and Sm 58 than it did with the silver eagle.
A few reports even saying the setup sounds as nice as some hf's.
The one report saying outstanding came from an operator on a yeasu 1000 MP.
He was quite impressed. I guess it is possible to get a good sound from a mixer, studio mic and an 11 meter 30 year old CB radio.
Att least this is my experience.. 73.

That's exactly what I've found and heard on air, again and again.

I got the 1002fx and hooked it up.
I recommend using the XLR input with the "cold" and ground shorted together, the TRS input doesn't sound as good.
I use CH 1 for normal talking and plug into CH 2 when I want to mess around with the voice changer.
That way I dont have to mess the controls after I get it dialed in.

Audio reports are,"I didn't think you could get it sounding better than with just the +3 but it does sound better".
IMG_1285.JPG

Go to Youtube and watch Hamnation Episode 36 from around 40 minutes or so. Bob Heil explains in a 15-20 minute segment what you want to be doing to set your audio up properly for communications.

How is the built in reverb on that 1002fx unit? Can you get the delay time really short?

Many, many Ham radio operators run a slight digital delay, they just won't admit to it and say "Oh, must be my room acoustics"...yeah, right :censored:

Reactions: 357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.