• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 and 12 m exports

It is not even illegal to convert the radio. The illegal part is if you emit any signal with the radio on any frequency that a type accepted radio is needed.

In other words,

Let us say you buy an RCI 2950DX. I love the radio myself. That radio from the factory will transmit on 10 and 12 meter amateur bands all day long legally.

Now, let us say you modify said radio and the radio COULD transmit on the 11 meter cb band. It is still not illegal, UNLESS you transmit on the 11 meter CB band with it. Because my friends, in the Untied States of America, a CB must be Type Accepted for use in the 11 meter CB band, in which the 2950DX is not type accepted for use in the 11 meter CB band. You can convert those radios all day long, just like you can any HF Amateur Rig, to receive the 11 meter CB band.

Another kind of weird thing, you can take a Cobra 148 for example, modify it to talk on the 10 meter amateur band and it is perfectly legal, but now you cannot legally use the same Cobra 148 as a CB again because it has been modified from the original Type Accepted radio to an amateur radio.

When I received my general ticket, my only HF rig was a RCI 2950DX. My very first HF contact was from my home near Shitcago to a station in Japan with only the 25ish some watts the radio put out and an IMAX 2000 antenna.

Let's add some more fun to the conversation,

Let us say you now own that Kenwood TS-2000 that you are saving for.

That radio from the factory will not transmit on 60 meter. With a simple and LEGAL modification that radio will transmit on the 60 meter amateur bands, AND MORE. The radio is still legal, even though it could transmit on 11 meter after that modification. Again, since CB requires Type Acceptance, your new TS-2000 is not Type Accepted for CB so it CANNOT be used to emit a signal on the CB bands. To go even a step further, once modified, that TS-2000 COULD transmit on the HF Marine Bands, but guess what, you need a Type Accepted radio for HF Marine Bands, which the Kenwood TS-2000 is not.

Bottom line, if you use a non type accepted radio on a frequency where type acceptance is required, you are breaking the law.

Now, on to the project Moleculo spoke of, making a toaster a radio,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,standing by

BooooYaaaa

molecule, you answered a question that was on my mind...about using an export on just the ham bands and not converting it to 11 meters, cuz even though i am saving for a KW TS 2000 or something comparable, I might want to get a 10 and or 12 meter lower priced export along the way and just start learning and getting more practice with the codes and lingo.

Cuz for a while there I was thinking all exports were illegal even on the ham bands. My bad i got that one now.:laugh:

Last edited:
CWM should really do some fact checking. The U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida says both you and the FCC are full of it. The court's opinion is really the only one that matters.

Just lovely. Just what we need, a complete disintegration of technical standards regarding transmitters and what can be sold and what must be kept off the market. Everyone knows that those "export" radios don't pass the smell test (if it walks like a duck...), but now the doors have been blown wide open. I guess next up will be challenges to licenses themselves and the idea of authorized frequencies or bands to maintain order throughout the RF spectrum as being somehow "discriminatory".

:headbang

The seeds of this were sown long ago when the government switched its focus from maintaining law and order to becoming a nanny.

Just lovely. Just what we need, a complete disintegration of technical standards regarding transmitters and what can be sold and what must be kept off the market. Everyone knows that those "export" radios don't pass the smell test (if it walks like a duck...), but now the doors have been blown wide open. I guess next up will be challenges to licenses themselves and the idea of authorized frequencies or bands to maintain order throughout the RF spectrum as being somehow "discriminatory".

:headbang

The seeds of this were sown long ago when the government switched its focus from maintaining law and order to becoming a nanny.

No, that wasn't quite how it went. Read the attachments. The problem is that the FCC's own expert witness, said that in his opinion, the radios in question were not "easy" to modify, presumably by the average person. The court also noticed the witness that said it was impossible to make an 10 meter radio that could not be modified. That kind've blew a hole in the FCC's whole argument. The root of the issue is the FCC's double standard with this stuff. You can't on one hand say that Amateur radios don't require certification and then also say that something that the manufacturer says is intended to be used as an Amateur radio and is marketed as an Amateur radio has to pass some kind of "smell" test. "Smell" tests don't work in a court of law.

Besides, there isn't a "disintegration of technical standards". The standards are whether or not the operator emits a signal that falls within the FCC guidelines of his license. Nowhere in the standards does it say that the radio must use a VFO vice a channel selector. Or that the radio can't display channelized number in banks instead of frequencies. These "standards" are all bogus criteria that was added either by hams or by FCC enforcement employees, but were never added to the actual laws. The courts enforce the written law.

The problem with most "10 Meter" and "Export" radios is that while they cover some or all of 10M, they don't quite have the features that hams like! For example, many so-called "high-end" 10M radios don't have a 6-digit readout that hams prefer. Others lack the repeater splits (100 Khz) that hams need to talk on 10M FM repeaters. Those that do have the split function, lack a decent read-out, eg: The Magnum 257. Nice rig, has almost all the features hams want, but the frequency read-out is only 5 digits! Even my trusty 2600's and 2510's have a 6-digit readout!. Some of the high-end Magnum radios and Galaxies have a 6-digit read-out, but no split function. Obviously not marketed to any legitimate hams. Not to mention such nonsense as roger-beeps, talk-back, echo, and a "Top-Gun" modulator which is just a modified controlled carrier modulation. "Gotta make that munkey swang!"

Ed - VA3ES

Your generalization is the problem,

they don't quite have the features that hams like!

don't have a 6-digit readout that hams prefer.

It would be like me saying that CW is a mode that most hams do not want on their radios.

Where is the fact? Now if I worked for the FCC and I created a list saying the following radios that have CW capabilities are banned????? Wow imagine the uproar that would cause!

Saying the radios can easily be modified for CB therefore should be banned is ludicrous as well, in my opinion. To convert a 2950DX one needs to remove the covers, find a pigtail located behind the display and plug in a special module and you are done.

To convert a Yaesu FT-840, you connect a jumper wire from ground to a test point on the radio, press a few buttons and turn on the radio. That is all, in fact, the jumper wire does not even stay connected. Once the conversion is done you remove the wire and throw it in the garbage if you wish.

Converting the Yaesu in my opinion could be more of a nuisance because that radio could now talk on 11 meter as well as marine HF, military HF and much much more. Why was this not put on the "banned list" ?

The problem with most "10 Meter" and "Export" radios is that while they cover some or all of 10M, they don't quite have the features that hams like! For example, many so-called "high-end" 10M radios don't have a 6-digit readout that hams prefer. Others lack the repeater splits (100 Khz) that hams need to talk on 10M FM repeaters. Those that do have the split function, lack a decent read-out, eg: The Magnum 257. Nice rig, has almost all the features hams want, but the frequency read-out is only 5 digits! Even my trusty 2600's and 2510's have a 6-digit readout!. Some of the high-end Magnum radios and Galaxies have a 6-digit read-out, but no split function. Obviously not marketed to any legitimate hams. Not to mention such nonsense as roger-beeps, talk-back, echo, and a "Top-Gun" modulator which is just a modified controlled carrier modulation. "Gotta make that munkey swang!"

Ed - VA3ES

Your generalization is the problem,
What I meant to day is that those "10-meter" radios are a problem for hams, not CB'ers or Freebanders. As for the rest of your comment, you're speaking in non-sequiturs. I was not talking about CW, or of banning any radios. I personally have no problem with "10-Meter" radios or "Export" or any other radio. I'm speaking from a ham's perspective. All of those radios are legal for me to use, and any "illegal" use doesn't bother me (unless someone is bootlegging on 10M).

As I said, from my perspective, those radios have problems. If you don't think so... that's fine... your perspective.

It would be like me saying that CW is a mode that most hams do not want on their radios.

Where is the fact? Now if I worked for the FCC and I created a list saying the following radios that have CW capabilities are banned????? Wow imagine the uproar that would cause!

Saying the radios can easily be modified for CB therefore should be banned is ludicrous as well, in my opinion. To convert a 2950DX one needs to remove the covers, find a pigtail located behind the display and plug in a special module and you are done.

To convert a Yaesu FT-840, you connect a jumper wire from ground to a test point on the radio, press a few buttons and turn on the radio. That is all, in fact, the jumper wire does not even stay connected. Once the conversion is done you remove the wire and throw it in the garbage if you wish.

Converting the Yaesu in my opinion could be more of a nuisance because that radio could now talk on 11 meter as well as marine HF, military HF and much much more. Why was this not put on the "banned list" ?

It's not really the radios that have a problem, it's the ops that have a problem with the radios....Everyone needs to untwist thier panties and relax...It don't make a crap who has what, someone is gona bitch.

I dont see how the "10 Meter" radios are such a problem... The radio most of the time only do AM, so how is it bugging any legal operators?

T23

The cycle is opening up, and I love ten meters. It is a great band for several reason`s.
If you want to work a HF band on the leanest budget possible ten it the top on the list. you can get a SSB CB at a yard sale for cheap, pull it apart and re-rock it for the phone band, grab a CB 1/4 wave whip and some coax and work the world...really I did it years ago.
The antennas are small, a modest push up pole works great for antennas, there are lots of CB base and mobile antennas that can be cut down for ten...and so on.
There is all this mis-information on the internet about this fabricated "illegal" list of export radios that you can not use on ten meters, By the way the HR2510, and 2600 are also on this "list", and it removes inexpensive rigs from the list`s of guys that want to use them on ten....and do not.

Not everyone can afford to go buy a all mode all band HF rig for there first radio, but a small ten meter rig and a antenna mounted in a vehicle is a station that can literally work the globe.

It is good that the FACTs get posted.

Jeff

Yes thats fine in all but I dont see the "point" of why hams complain about "10m freebanders" when most of the time AM is used and USB and FM are most common on 10m. So how does this inconvenience legal operators so that all this negative feedback is necessary?

T23

I dont see how the "10 Meter" radios are such a problem... The radio most of the time only do AM, so how is it bugging any legal operators?

It is not the radios`s as HH pointed out, it is the use of these radios by non licensed users ON the ten meter frequency's that is the problem.
This one single point has driven a lot of legitimate users of ten meters to bitch. Since there is not much enforcement on the "people" level, they focus on the equipment rather than the violators.

Jeff

I couldn't agree more!!!
We have a gang of miscreants here in Ottawa - hams all - who love 10M and most, if not all, are using 2510's, 2600's, 2950's, and even modified TRC449's ! I have a 2600 in my main hamshack, another in my "Studio 2", and a 2510 in the car. The car has an FT857D for HF, and a FT2900R for VHF. the 857 is installed in the dash, and the others are mounted to a Panavise MDT swivel mount. The 2510 does double-duty on 10M and CB.

We intend to hook up the Palomar 900HD, in the spring, to the two HF radios, via a Daiwa 2-pos. switch. That should help my signal. ;)

The cycle is opening up, and I love ten meters. It is a great band for several reason`s.
If you want to work a HF band on the leanest budget possible ten it the top on the list. you can get a SSB CB at a yard sale for cheap, pull it apart and re-rock it for the phone band, grab a CB 1/4 wave whip and some coax and work the world...really I did it years ago.
The antennas are small, a modest push up pole works great for antennas, there are lots of CB base and mobile antennas that can be cut down for ten...and so on.
There is all this mis-information on the internet about this fabricated "illegal" list of export radios that you can not use on ten meters, By the way the HR2510, and 2600 are also on this "list", and it removes inexpensive rigs from the list`s of guys that want to use them on ten....and do not.

Not everyone can afford to go buy a all mode all band HF rig for there first radio, but a small ten meter rig and a antenna mounted in a vehicle is a station that can literally work the globe.

It is good that the FACTs get posted.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.