• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

100 Watt Radios

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Was looking at 100 watt radios AM and FM Export radios from connex, Galaxy, And General under the 300.00 dollar mark if you had 300.00 for Am,FM What would buy. Mosfet or 2290 in the galaxy. I don't know why but I want a radio with 100 watts out. :whistle:

I've only had one export radio and its a galaxy. I'm not impressed with it all. I'd go with one of the others unless you want cold weather issues. IMO galaxy is a little behind in the quality control department.

Top of the line stryker 150.00 more than I wanted to spend I have an Imax and a siro New Tornado. will not go beam and rotor at the present time. I love my DX-979 pro tune Just wanted 100 wats internal amp am-fm and a good price

They are good radios too, but they cost more than the stryker 955hp. I would take either, not that I'm not happy with my setup. In haven't had any issue with my magnum 257hp and magnaforce 350HD . Talk dx all the time. It's all about conditions at this point. But yes the RCI2970N2 is great radio as well.

Reactions: Hurricane95
Will the ts50 do 11 meters w9cll? And is it an easy mod if so. I have been looking for a radio like this, small yet powerful, and can be a base or mobile unit. Thanks for any replies

That TS-50 is barely worth the starting bid. In keeping with eBay insanity, it will likely sell for much higher.

The 11 meter mod is very easy. The TS-50 is an excellent little radio. I've owned 4-5 over the years, also bought one new when they first came out. Just a few years ago they were selling for around $350-$400 in mint condition. They are now commanding crazy high prices on greedbay.

Reactions: 2 people
The only export radio I've come across which sounds anything remotely like a ham HF set is a President Lincoln. However putting it on a proper radio communications test set, generating a 1kHz tone the lowest you could go with the tone audible was roughly around -125dB before the internal noise of the receiver overcame the signal which has been my experience of all the CBs I've tested on it - around 122dB give or take a couple. My Kenwood TS590 goes another 16dB lower than that. It can effectively hear a signal 40 times weaker.

Another point to note: S9 calibration of a Export radio is 100uV. S9 calibration of an amateur HF radio is 50uV.

If you're going to get into the $300-$400 range you may as well spend a little more and get a ham HF set. 100W built in with finals designed to do it and a lot more functionality especially the ability to hook up to a computer.

I looked at the price of the Lincoln 2 and the Ranger here in the UK and for another £100 or so I can get a Kenwood TS480, a 100W radio with built in ATU, or for another £100 the 200W version. It has one of the quietest receivers there is, has no known problems and has been in production for 10 years as it is still in demand with no other mobile HF set that comes anywhere close to touching it for performance.

This may sound crazy but I have a Kenwoos TS-480SAT and AM-SSB 11 meters a Galaxy DX-979 and love both radios, Was looking at the 100 w rigs and wanted to go with Export to have it channelized with 40 channels to a bank. That's why I was looking at Exports. + price is a factor.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.