• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

100 Watt Radios

ANYTIME you have the choice between a rig using the 2SC2290 or power supply MOSFET's, ALWAYS choose the real RF transistors like Toshiba. The so called MOSFET's that are sold in the CB market are cheap junk and that's exactly why they end up in 11 meter gear. NO reputable company would EVER use these transistors in any 100 watt rig. On the other hand, millions of Yeasu and Kenwood rigs were sold with the Toshiba's.

Reactions: 3 people
I see the final section of the ts50 are 2 toshiba 2879's. That would definitely make a powerful little radio if so and probably worth the money. Can you even get them new? And for just 11m use you wouldn't need an antenna tuner right, as long as the antenna system is setup for 11m? I like the look of the ts50 and would spend the extra cash to have a good radio. I talk 99% ssb nowadays anyway, I go to 19 to check traffic every so often but that's about it.

I see the final section of the ts50 are 2 toshiba 2879's. That would definitely make a powerful little radio if so and probably worth the money. Can you even get them new? And for just 11m use you wouldn't need an antenna tuner right, as long as the antenna system is setup for 11m? I like the look of the ts50 and would spend the extra cash to have a good radio. I talk 99% ssb nowadays anyway, I go to 19 to check traffic every so often but that's about it.

The radios are not available new anymore. I would also recommend that if the AM mode is important to you that you consider something like the Yaesu FT-757 over the TS-50. The TS-50 has a much more restricted IF strip in the AM transmit and that makes the FT-757 have much better AM transmit.

Reactions: 1 person
Well for that price range. The Raptor II and III hit the market recently and havent heard much bout them other than their specs are look like they might fit your needs. How bout a review??:whistle:

I have a General HP40W that does 100 watts on high. Its using four mosfets, tuned by DTB. I get nothing but good reports.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the reply shockwave, I don't do am much anymore, really just to check traffic on 19, I am on 11m ssb mostly. I just don't find myself being on am much at all anymore. Ssb is just so much easier to make contacts and I have had a much better overall experience thus far on ssb, these days anyway as it's not a key over contest. I have the magnum 257hp already in the mobile, but really like the looks and the specs of the ts-50. Will look into the other radios mentioned, just not looking to bust the bank too much lol. Besides, whatever I get may end up in the mobile, and the conditions are rather rough, as in my radio gets bumped a lot and gets rattled as well through my travels down many dirt roads for work. They always seem to put cell sites in places that are a PITA to get to, especially up north and in the mountains. Thanks for all the replies and I do appreciate any input. God bless all and 73's.

I have a General HP40W that does 100 watts on high. Its using four mosfets, tuned by DTB. I get nothing but good reports.

I was looking at the General HP40 also. And might go that route. The price for a DTB tuned General Lee is also looking very good.( Connex 3300hp vs. Gen Lee whats the better radio ??) Can of worms ? He also has the Connex 3300 FHP but the price on that seems a little at 279.99 when I can get the HP40 at 269.99

Unless you get the 100 watt General Lee (which is basically what the HP40W is), a Connex 3300HP and General Lee are essentially the same radio. Both are (were) just a dual final radio capable of around 35 watts...not a 100 watt radio.

I like the HP40W because it has a high-low switch...on low its doing around 5 DK/40 swing and on high its doing around 25 DK/100 swing. I run on low most of the time, and it will barely get warm after a long conversation. On high it will get warm, but not out of control hot...it does have an internal fan.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd rather have a standard low powered radio and then a kicker behind it.. If the kicker or radio breaks down you'll be out of one or the other not both.

Reactions: 2 people
I used to think that way, but I have never had a radio (either low oh r high powered) or amp fail in the last 25 years. Its just not that common if you start with good equipment and good tech.

Reactions: Hurricane95
High power radios SUCK!!! If you blow a final you have nothing but if a radio and 100 watt amp are used and the amp blows a final you always have the radio to talk on.
Never could see the point of these fragile, unimpressive, 100-300 watt money pits.

High power radios SUCK!!! If you blow a final you have nothing but if a radio and 100 watt amp are used and the amp blows a final you always have the radio to talk on.
Never could see the point of these fragile, unimpressive, 100-300 watt money pits.

Back when I drove all over the country in my pickup, it was always the radio and never the amp with issues, so I never bought that argument.

100W amateur radios have no problem going on for decades so the reason that the CB/Export stuff is fragile is purely down to crap build quality and design or the fact the person installing the antenna system doesn't know a damned thing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.