• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

89xlr

I put new vr in and same problem.tr14 and tr15 not working. And it does have a D.C. Plug to
Obviously do not leave the built-in power supply connected while you use the DC in jack, as far as I remember these radios don't have an ac/dc switch.

Make the radio work correctly on a separate supply, or fix the power supply before attempting to talk on the radio.

Last edited:
13.77 since I've broke and fell out of power supply board.
if you have 13.77 volts @ pin 7 of IC2, ic2 has failed..... I would say anyway without looking at the radio. It is kind of hard to follow all the things about two or three 89 XLR radios, you a few threads going my man, all on this model of radio.

What is the DC power supply voltage you are running the radio off of? 13.77?
You may need to plainly state what has been done to the radio since you got it, and what all works/doesn't work. So that people can help, anyway how how many 89 XLR radios have you got Ben?

Last edited:
I have two but ones just for parts of need be
Cool, ok so this radio has already been re-capped?

The ac power supply
If you know you have a problem in the a.c. supply, why risk damage to the radio?
Do you not have a lil 4 or 5 amp power supply yet, that's okay if you don't I'm just trying to figure out how to help.

If the radio is running off of the incorrect voltage to start with, you cannot test anything and expect proper measurements. ~Shut it off, those old parts are not made anymore, would not want to burn up those IC's.

What could case the new vr to not fix the power supply
A failed resistor on the PSU board, can mess up the range of the VR.

In the 89XLR I worked on, the psu board needed two or three resistors replaced..
They had gotten hot after the power transistor failed short circuit and this caused them to change in value..

After replacing the transistor I could not dial the supply voltage in; until I changed the bummed resistors out also. (y)

If It was me I'd change all the resistors for new ones of the appropriate size, the psu pc board is small if you have the parts on hand, rebuild it; replace what is not new on the board.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.