• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alinco Dx10

Alinco is bringing nothing to the market, its a cb... export or what ever you want to call it but it is no way aimed at the ham market. Sorry Alinco just made themselves look stupid. Surprised it does not say "Thunderbolt" on it.. or even "Turbo" and we know put turbo on somthng and it will sell.

And why keep the channel selector? Sorry it screams CB Alinco just dropped a notch in my book.

Does Icom drop a notch and look stupid because they were involved in the CB market ???

LOL, perhaps Alinco has realised that there is a market for a radio that is economical and allows new hams to get on ten and twelve meters without buying a $0000.00 all mode HF/VHF/UHF rig.
Some guys like to play mobile radio and these rigs are just the thing to do it with.
Yes, oh my it has features that are NOT targeted at the Ham market.
Attitude plays a lot in this topic.
Who cares if it has echo, or roger beep (ETS) is it possible to operate the radio with these features turned off?
It has taken years for hams to accept the RCI 2950 DX is a great radio for 10 and 12 meters, but they also have a button on the front for ETS (roger beep) big deal.
I just do not understand why there still has to be this attitude about equipment from the CB service being used on the Ham Bands.
Guys can take old business band radios and cut traces, add and remove components and do what is needed to make them acceptable to run as radios or repeaters on 6 and 2 meters, or 440 and they are not chastised by other hams for their efforts.
But if a guys buys a old CB sweep tube amp/solid state amp or radio equipment and adds and removes components, properly runs ALC and AMC levels, adds filtering or whatever else needs to be done to to make them acceptable to run on the HF bands they are looked down on and discouraged.
Who cares if it was built and intended for the German/EU or what ever cb market.
I do not give a shit what name is on the radio the guy I am talking to has on it.
I do not care if it started life as a frigging walkietalkie, if the guy gets it on ten ( or another band) and works hard to make it have an acceptable signal on the air that is great!
If he sounds like total shit on the air, lets talk with him, ask questions, offer help on how to change things to better help him improve the equipment he is running on the ham bands.
Mentor the guy and teach him about how to properly run what he has.
Off the soapbox again.....

Jeff

Does Icom drop a notch and look stupid because they were involved in the CB market ???
Honestly yes! Listen I have no issues with "Export" radios but don't try and pass them off for ham use with channel selectors, roger beeps and echo. If ICOM wants to build a CB, true 11 meter only CB that's fine with me but don't try to pass off a re-badged export crap as a ham rig.

If ICOM, Alinco , Kenwood, Yaesu and others want to build a ten meter only (or10/12) rig that fine, copy the HTX-10, 2950 or even Optima line.

You said
If ICOM, Alinco , Kenwood, Yaesu and others want to build a ten meter only (or10/12) rig that fine, copy the HTX-10, 2950 or even Optima line.

That is what they just did.
What is the beef?
2950 has roger beep
So why is the alinco a piece of crap, because it has a control for echo?
DO NOT TURN IT ON.

Answer this question:
What is wrong with this Alinco radio, if it is set-up properly to run on ten meters?

Jeff

Reactions: Mudfoot
Nothing really... I don't have any issues with someone using a export on 10 meters as long as it sounds good. My issue is what type of model they chose to come out with. There is a market for these that I do agree so why not build one? I know its cheaper to just re-badge something else and honestly I think that is my biggest issue. It makes them look cheaper.

As I said I, K, Y, E, A can all build something that would be a good low cost entry level 10 meter rig that wouldn't break the bank.

BTW I know the 2950 has a RB

Nothing really... I don't have any issues with someone using a export on 10 meters as long as it sounds good. My issue is what type of model they chose to come out with. There is a market for these that I do agree so why not build one? I know its cheaper to just re-badge something else and honestly I think that is my biggest issue. It makes them look cheaper.

As I said I, K, Y, E, A can all build something that would be a good low cost entry level 10 meter rig that wouldn't break the bank.

BTW I know the 2950 has a RB

If the sales are strong, then maybe they'll change the game and come out with something better down the road.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
The development of these radios is progressing in steps and quickly.
It is a shame that there is untapped potential of reasonable 10/12 meter mobiles and for some reason the general idea is that they are unfit to be used on the ham bands and or illegal to do so.
It might add incentive to potential new license holders to get into a real fun part of radio for the cost of good car stereo.
You can run a good mobile 10 meter station with one of these radios and a decent loaded CB whip and just have a blast on ten meters and if you got some friends that play radio 10 meters has a very BIG bandwidth to play with.
If the band is open it truly is a "worldwidedx" ;) window.
Anyway I get on the soap box about the "stigma" of equipment that by its very nature is very easy to use on 10 or 12 meters.
Both of these bands are not being utilized by us, as much as we should, because as we all know, frequency spectrum is very valuable.

OK, I will go back in my cave now.....
Carry on gentlemen.

Jeff

Reactions: binrat and Mudfoot
Ok so there has to be a story behind this radio appearing on the Alinco site as "for the Russian market only" and then appearing in the US at at least two reputable ham radio dealers. I know there's a lot of debate of legal vs. illegal export type 10 meter radios but unless that thing is approved by the FCC can they import and legally sell it here? I'm pretty sure any ham who can get their hands on one can legally use it but importing and selling it in the US is a different matter...or is it?

I'm going to watch this one progress.

The rule...... can not imported or sold as a 'type accepted' CB radio out of the box.
And I do not own a single piece of ham equipment that has a 'type acceptance' sticker on the back.
This is a 10 meter radio, not a CB.
Yes we know that they have clones that are popular with the freeband crowd.
FCC has said in court, in one case that the radios as sold out of the box are legal.
This has gone to court several times and the FCC was on the losing end.
The Lawyer that represented some of the retailers in these actions is a member here.
Really Alinco stepping up to the plate is a good thing.
Again
I am astounded by the dark cloud that is cast over 10 and 12 meter equipment by CB influence.

If this was a new 2 meter radio, or chinese dual bander coming out everyone would be wanting to try one.
Or a kit style of CW radio
Or a home brew in a tuna can......

Jeff

I sent an email to Mike @ REMtronix (Alinco Distributor and Service Center) asking him about the echo issue, but haven't heard back yet. I talked to him yesterday and he mentioned the radio had been approved. Now, I'm not sure if he was talking about FCC stuff or not. He's waiting on the demo to come back from Huntsville. They just shipped out stock to Universal and HRO. They also have a bunch @ REMtronix, but they are sealed. I almost bought one direct, but it was way higher than I could get from Universal Radio.

Honestly yes! Listen I have no issues with "Export" radios but don't try and pass them off for ham use with channel selectors, roger beeps and echo. If ICOM wants to build a CB, true 11 meter only CB that's fine with me but don't try to pass off a re-badged export crap as a ham rig.

But the Ranger 29** series of radio and the Optima were designed and manufactured to be aimed at the CB/freeband market, the HTX-10 was modeled from an export radio ????

Reactions: Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.