• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any Astro Plane Fans ?

Say, Marconi, I think Bob's being serious.
I did actually turn my Vector upside down. Remember?
It became a NTO - New Top One Dimensions for Homer

151_zps5e6f14e4.jpg

When Spring comes I am going to return to this NTO and work on it with my analyzer back home from repairs/calibration. Also, I may build me another Astroplane. If we get new exact dimensions it would be helpful.
I wish I could get to the information where we put the analyzer on the AP as I moved the spreader up and down the center conductor. It's on a locked up hard disk drive.

Homer, you frequently tell me what Bob is thinking. You must have a crystal ball that reads his thoughts clearly better than mine.

I didn't think Bob was not being serious. That never crossed my mind.

I think Bob was just being himself...a man of ideas and of few words. Really though, I thought Bob was trying to get me to talking about the Vector again, and I'll do that when I think I have some new and better approach to try and prove my points on the subject. I'm having none of it until then.

Homer, you need to get re-certified in the school for "Dear Ann Landers" studies, you've misread me again.;)

I remember Bob making the model in the image. I though it was a real NTO at the time. He had to tell me that he made is using a Vector. I think I told him that was probably what Sirio did too, and it looked real. I said that Sirio likely did the same, made it out of a Vector, and visa versa, and that those folks were just smart businessmen IMO.

I must have missed your report that you had a NTO, Homer or are you speaking for Bob? If you did build a NTO from your Vector...did you also report that is was not an AstroPlane?

It's funny that you guys swear by Sirio always doing the right thing, yet they seem to me to also be naming a couple of their antennas with names that are contrary to the group idea, and for sure using the name J-Pole just to be clear.

On an side note...Sirio no longer publishes this antenna and it looks to be out of production. I emailed them asking if this was true, but like Donald has said...they won't talk to me, because I ask them the questions they can't answer.:cool:

Homer . . .

I must have missed your report that you had a NTO, . . . or are you speaking for Bob? If you did build a NTO from your Vector...did you also report that is was not an AstroPlane?
I linked the thread about the NTO I built in the post with the picture of my V4 to NTO photo.
I stopped posting to the thread when I suspected my analyzer was acting erratically.
I still have it put together awaiting good weather and a repaired analyzer.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/new-top-one-dimensions-for-homer.165572/

Hey Bob, your last post could be considered a EzBob "white paper" report...it is mostly a very long an empty white page.You must have leaned on the down elevator key, right before you posted.:eek:

I agree, but like I've said before...in my experience with both designs I found I did not need to set the shorter radiator tip at the same height as the other longer radiator...all I had to do was get maybe within about 4' or less, but remember my comparing was done using only RX signals...I'm anxious to see your report for both RX/TX signals at various contacts in the distance with a radio that has a much more responsive S meter.

i must have got interrupted and sat on the keyboard eddie,
try again,

i have no doubt the top-one will work as well as other antennas when mounted at the same tip height,

it has a 4ft height advantage of current maxima over most antennas like the astroplane has,
at this location that should be an advantage over a 5/8wave imho

try again,

i have no doubt the top-one will work as well as other antennas when mounted at the same tip height,

it has a 4ft height advantage of current maxima over most antennas like the astroplane has,

I think I'm hearing echos, but I agree, and I can't wait until you report your findings.

thanks eddie,
i think you would need everything else apart from the new radial configuration equal to see if there is any change like they claim,

i thought of a potential better way to modify this and other antennas eddie, the idea came from the top-one i made,
a vector with its cone turned upside down is the same thing,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/ukmudduck/topsyturvey.png

convert a vector into 2 x 1/2wave

I got pissed because I thought you're trying to trap me into commenting like Donald did without specific dimensions for the model. If EzBob can't show the dimensions, or you can't add them by hand to the image, then just type them in long hand as part of the text and we'll see if your idea works.:sneaky:

#1 might work if the dimensions are right, but I don't see it reasonably working in #2, and that is all I'm going to say.

try again,

I don't either.

Are you planning on setting this NTO up with a full 1/4 wave element in the top too?

no eddie, i won't be setting up the nto with a full size 1/4wave, we know what the hat does with regards bandwidth and height of current maxima,

the interesting mod to me is the topsy turvey 2 x 1/2wave.

Bob, your new term here sounds like the name of a Carnival ride to me. When you mentioned it the other day I didn't know what to think and I didn't ask. I figured you would explain when you got ready.

Now, today you mention it again, so I'll ask...does it have anything to do with the EzBob images of a collinear setup you posted below?

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/ukmudduck/media/topsyturvey.png.html

I'm just wondering Bob, what is this topsy turvey 2 x 1/2 wave idea all about?

Last edited:
Eddie.

its about converting a vector to a 2 x 1/2wave by inverting the cone like the new top-one and using a phasing stub/coil 1/4wave up from the feed-point,
there won't be much separation between the 1/2waves so you can't expect 3db gain but it could be better than the stock vector on the same mast.

Eddie.

its about converting a vector to a 2 x 1/2wave by inverting the cone like the new top-one and using a phasing stub/coil 1/4wave up from the feed-point,
there won't be much separation between the 1/2waves so you can't expect 3db gain but it could be better than the stock vector on the same mast.

What is the space between elements on the bottom EzBob antenna image ? Wouldn't this setup require a long phasing harness and the elements to be far apart?

So, is this setup idea using 3/4 wave radiators rather than 1/4 wave? How about some idea for the dimensions you have in mind?

Say, Marconi, I think Bob's being serious.
I did actually turn my Vector upside down. Remember?
It became a NTO - New Top One Dimensions for Homer

151_zps5e6f14e4.jpg

When Spring comes I am going to return to this NTO and work on it with my analyzer back home from repairs/calibration. Also, I may build me another Astroplane. If we get new exact dimensions it would be helpful.
I wish I could get to the information where we put the analyzer on the AP as I moved the spreader up and down the center conductor. It's on a locked up hard disk drive.

Thanks Homer, I checked that old thread out and found it interesting...we are talking today about much the same things. Sorry, but I did not remember that thread. I remember introducing the idea about the NTO, but little else. You know what was missing was the TVI issues I recently brought up. I remember this much however, I did not want to be telling guys the high regard I had for the NTO, and at the same time warn of the CMC problems I was having. I've worked my A/P antennas for some time and like you said earlier I never noticed this issue before.

IMO, this antenna is not only a simple 1/2 wave radiator...I liken to one big tuning device that radiates well from the antenna, but it can also radiate well from the supporting mast...and that might not be so good. On the other hand if Bob's idea eliminates this issue...then it may only respond like other 1/2 waves and be nothing special.

I can't wait for Bob's report.

Thanks Homer, I checked that old thread out and found it interesting...we are talking today about much the same things. Sorry, but I did not remember that thread. I remember introducing the idea about the NTO, but little else. You know what was missing was the TVI issues I recently brought up. I remember this much however, I did not want to be telling guys the high regard I had for the NTO, and at the same time warn of the CMC problems I was having. I've worked my A/P antennas for some time and like you said earlier I never noticed this issue before.

IMO, this antenna is not only a simple 1/2 wave radiator...I liken to one big tuning device that radiates well from the antenna, but it can also radiate well from the supporting mast...and that might not be so good. On the other hand if Bob's idea eliminates this issue...then it may only respond like other 1/2 waves and be nothing special.

I can't wait for Bob's report.
You may be correct about it being it not special after the isolation of coax and mast. However, I believe the antenna will be all it was designed to be when the mast is isolated the exact distance down from the loop as the twin top bracket is above the loop and the coax is choked at that same point. This is the stated design parameters of Orion/Avanti in the patent submitted in 1968 and published in 1971 that I linked above.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.