• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any Astro Plane Fans ?

If I knew the length and design of this stub...I might try modeling it to my AstroBeam model and see if there was something that Avanti knew at that time...making the pattern or the antenna perform better.

If anybody knows the length and the coax used...please let me know.

Are you talking about the "Duel 59/U Matching harness" the last part listed in the parts list page 5 of the manual?

If you are this might help you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Co...642114?hash=item25d9d89e42:g:Tg8AAOSwcLxYEZQz

Tib

Thanks Tib, that is what I was talking about the dual coax stub noted in the manual list of parts.

That stub looks pretty long. Based on the image what would you guess the length to be?

I sent a message to Blackeye asking the length and the type of coax.

Last edited:
From what I can put together its 72" tip to tip of RG83/U

I asked the seller how long it was...

Reply:

If you purchase the item you get the absolute correct length to reproduce
it and also the right coax to use....
Sorry will no do as that information
not even in the instruction manual....
enjoy your day .....

and then he removed the picture that showed the "AVANTI RG-83/U" on the side of the coax.

In the copper talk forum I found the stub was in fact 6' long.

(Avanti Astrobeam AV-150 Duel 59-U Matching harness is a 72" OF RG-83/U)

From what I can put together its 72" tip to tip of RG83/U

I asked the seller how long it was...

Reply:

If you purchase the item you get the absolute correct length to reproduce
it and also the right coax to use....
Sorry will no do as that information
not even in the instruction manual....
enjoy your day .....

and then he removed the picture that showed the "AVANTI RG-83/U" on the side of the coax.

In the copper talk forum I found the stub was in fact 6' long.

(Avanti Astrobeam AV-150 Duel 59-U Matching harness is a 72" OF RG-83/U)

Tib, I got the same response. You don't want to be doing any business with a guy like this. You are correct the stub is only 6' feet long. Below is my reference. I highlited it.

Attachments

• AstroBeam matching stub.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Now I think I am going to want the Astrobeam... simple easy uses a TV antenna rotor, out performs the PDLII.

I will never hang another moon raker.

@Marconi have you ever modeled the AV-150? and what do you think of her?

The only difference I have found between the early & late astroplane is the way the legs are jointed,
on the early astro the upper tubes are expanded at the end to take the lower tubes,

on the late version the upper tubes are straight & the lower tubes are swaged to fit inside & come in a different colour box,

i don't have measurements for the early version to see if they changed anything when 40ch came legal,

never heard of an astroplane with no hat apart from the patent info on what happens when the hat is removed and an full size 1/4wave is used,
removing it removes the advantage an astroplane has when you have height restrictions,

sirio made an astroplane clone years ago, they were unpopular & not around for long, cte & tagra also made clones,

tagra used thick wall anodised tube,

sirio use .049" wall 6063-t832,

avanti used .058" wall 6061-t6

the only cte i saw used horrible soft ribbed tube like the cte energy 1/2 & 5/8 antennas,

the recent sirio top one is a different hat loaded antenna.

Reactions: HomerBB
It will be at least few days before I start to assemble and put this up, If anyone needs detailed pictures of any of its parts just ask.

This was like opening a time capsule... took me back to 1973.

I don't this the warranty is any good. lolIMG_20170706_102234.jpg IMG_20170706_102253.jpg

Tib, what are the diameters for the tubing radials and hoop?

What is the height of the radial bracket?

The width of the bracket looks to be 9.5" total. What about its height from the top edge to the bottom edge? That looks to be 3"...

The 6" inch distance between the center of the radials is the dimension needed for modeling. A 1/4" here and a 1/2" there might not make a difference in performance for the model, but it can make a notable difference in matching accuracy...if the match is important.

The 2.5" inch height is the dimension I wanted confirmed. I was able to get close checking out your tape beside the tubing, thanks. You did good keeping the image without angles that skew the tape.

With modeling dimensions, the exposed length and tubing diameter is all that matters and that has to be right, just like it matters with a real antenna.

When I unpacked, I took quick mental notes.

I believe all 3 of the overlaps swedge inserted into split tubing were 2.5" you can see the stop detent in the parts picture on the bottom of the tube closest to the tape measure. I did not get the end to center of hole distance for the bottom of the Verticals yet.

CORRECTION: The 5/8' slit tube is 2.5 with a stop detent the 1/2' tube swedge is 1.25"

The tube sizes are
The Ring is 3/8
The Verticals below the base clamp is all 1/2
The Vertical above the base clamp is 5/8
The capacitance cap is 1/8

I did not note the insert depth on the ring swedge joints or the end to center of hole distance yet.

All correct measurements are shown on the next page of this thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Marconi and HomerBB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.