• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone use channel 16 SSB anymore?

2CO3026

Mar 14, 2009
Cornpach, IL
I'm curious, does anyone here still use channel 16 SSB?

As an old timer (mid-60's), I remember well when channel 16 was the main SSB channel here in the USA. When the 40 channel CB's came along, much of the SSB activity moved up to channels 35 - 40 in most areas.

I also remember the Spartan SSB group on RC channel "15A" (27.145 MHz) years ago. That was a lot of fun. Anyone remember them?

I'd like to spearhead a movement to increase SSB use of channel 16, in addition to spark (no pun intended) interest in using the RC channels again. Also, I'd like to see more SSB activity on the "in between" frequencies, such as 27.380, 27.390, 27.400 MHz, etc., too, like it was back in the '80's.

Listen for me, AB1, (Alpha Baker 1) on 16, RC channels, and other oddball in-band frequencies when the skip starts rolling.

73 & Good DX,

Sparky 2CO3026 / AB1

Reactions: 2 people

Hi 2CO3026,

Yes, I still use it, but, of course, you make many, many calls before you ever find anyone who answers you on SSB LSB.

My main rig is a Galaxy DX 959 which I mostly use on Channel 38.

BUT, I also have a Realistic TRC-48 which is only a 23 channel job and I use it for fun on calling on Channel 16 LSB. It is more stable than the Galaxy!

I have joined your Channel 16 Yahoo Group and am waiting for your approval to join up.

Let's get this thing going again. My original call sign is XM4138775, so you know I'm an old guy showing my age, eh?

Hope to here from you soon.

Pete
Call Signs: XM413 & RC4000 (Ontario Co-ordinator)

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, prop was lousy yesterday too - all day. Nothing this morning either, as you say.

Won't be back on the radio until tomorrow (Friday) or over the weekend (Sat. & Sun.) XYL keeps me busy with this semi-retirement thing! It really sucks!!:sad:

Pete
XM413 & RC4000 (ON)

XM413 EAH !

XM 413 EAH ! ; Hi Pete : where in Ontario are you ? I,AM in Cordova Mines between Marmora & Havelock & north . I use to be xm 48 4263 base xm 48 7029 mobile till they droped the d.o.c. lic;. Now run a couple different club numbers while on ssb . Anyway i will put a radio on 16 lsb when in the shack to moniter , hope to catch you all their ? later Bob.A. cordova lucky 13 on am.

Fondly remember using LSB 16 all of the time, many of the nets the Fox-Tango, USA and Mid-Atlantic met frequently. You were quite lucky if you had a radio capable of dropping 5 or 10 KC for added privacy back in the seventies.

CHNL 16

I remember it 16a, have talked to some TEXAS stns on it who were camping near the ocean on holidays, will take, anyhow will listen.
Maybe set aside a weekend time to develop a qso, Sunday morning???

DOCTOR/795

I remember it 16a, have talked to some TEXAS stns on it who were camping near the ocean on holidays, will take, anyhow will listen.
Maybe set aside a weekend time to develop a qso, Sunday morning???

DOCTOR/795

That would be 15A rather than 16

The "A" channels are after 3,7,11,15 and 19

No 16 SSB here since 1977

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.