• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone use channel 16 SSB anymore?

So I see 16 used to be the SSB ch. and 18 too?

Surprised not any other channels were used for SSB back before 1977.

I understand it's on a gentlemens agreement but still....

Reactions: 1 person

Back then SSB radios were quite pricey and only the serious operators had them. In most places there simply weren't enough people using SSB to justify using any additional channels.

Remember, back in the old 23 channel days, with Ch 9 reserved for emergencies, 15, 17 and 19 being used by truckers (depending where you were) we were lucky to have 16 and 18 to use.

Of course, most of us back then had VFOs or crystal boxes to go above 23 just to get further away from the all the splatter coming from AM.

Reactions: 1 person
16lsb

use to run 16lsb and 39lsb alot...but dont get off 10mtrs and 6mtrs...wanting to get another 2ssb rig,will at BOOFEST on Oct26th in Kirkwood Missouri.Had one yrs ago,but no one in area had one.Really like 6mtr and mainly there,but been listening when the lids are not in there or South or Central America.Still have the old 23 channel Browning ltd,and will leave it on there,73 de JW

CHANNEL 16

I leave it on usb on channel 16, on lsb I have a carrier on from the am stations, and actually when I do get on I have made more on usb than the mess on lsb, 36 thru 38 is a mess on ssb lsb, so have switched to usb..
Anyhow parked this week on chnl 16 to 7:30 or so..
DOCTOR
jUST shout 795

I'll get on. I turn on my radio to 38 LSB every morning but no one is ever on. Haha

I'll be sure to drop down to 16 LSB every afternoon. I usually have my radio on in the mobile between 6:20am-7:00am and 4:45pm-5:45pm. Other times I get on in the evening when I walk out to the truck. I just had a new shed built and haven't ran power to it yet but once I do I'll have a base station again!

Listen for "249 Louisiana Mobile"

Now there is something I haven't heard of in a very long time. The Gentelman's Agreement. This came from a time when there was respect and understanding on 11 meters many, many moons ago. And even then it was the old timers that most often respected this. It has been almost 38 years since I last heard about it.

This and common sense are lost to history.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.