• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Chierda S890 SSB

The jumper in the J1 position is export mode. Mine was already at J1 from the factory. I did not make any adjustments to the hi power pots, but FM does 40w and should probably be turned down if you plan on using it much just to keep it from making too much heat. As for the jumper at the bottom of the picture, I have no idea what it does.

IMG_20230909_163002328_HDR.jpg

The AMCV pot is the AM modulation limiter adjustment. I turned it all the way up and it helped a little. Did not box car or pinch the carrier at all.

The low power adjustment pots are missing, and have a resistor in their place from the factory.

View attachment 65338
Maybe play with resistance in those spots or try some potentiometers.

Last edited:
@ShadetreeMechanic

Gday from Sydney Australia.

I just joined this forum because I also bought two of these radios from Ford.

So the stock microphone is the problem and the radio just needs a power mic ?

I paid extra for two spare mics as well .. $8us a piece .. lol

Maybe possible to modify original mics some how ?

Please keep us all updated on these radios as so I can get mine working at their best as well. I am still yet to set them up as waiting on base antenna and coax.

I might have to talk to Ford about getting a partial refund with these crap mics so I can invest in better ones or if he can send replacements that work better.

thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
@ShadetreeMechanic

Gday from Sydney Australia.

I just joined this forum because I also bought two of these radios from Ford.

So the stock microphone is the problem and the radio just needs a power mic ?

I paid extra for two spare mics as well .. $8us a piece .. lol

Maybe possible to modify original mics some how ?

Please keep us all updated on these radios as so I can get mine working at their best as well. I am still yet to set them up as waiting on base antenna and coax.

I might have to talk to Ford about getting a partial refund with these crap mics so I can invest in better ones or if he can send replacements that work better.

thanks
Welcome!
I believe the stock mic would be perfectly fine on another radio. I tried replacing the electret element with one from a telephone handset, which works great on the Anytones and Presidents. It had no effect on this radio. Maybe my radio has a problem and yours will be fine? Possibly, but not likely. And I say that because I bought another radio from PNI the 6500 and it was the same way. The PNI radios I believe are aimed at the European market where FM mode is the standard. Maybe the S980 sounds better on FM, I have not tried it yet. So it seems that the audio filters in the radio are wrong, or the digital processing was programmed this way. I would be interested to hear what your thoughts are on this when you get yours. I have thought about putting an audio amp board from a power mic inside the radio as a last resort. There might be something to help it in the service menu, but I haven't figured out how to get into it yet.

73 and 51
Chris

Reactions: kingpin007
@Shadetree Mechanic

Ok so replacing the mic condensor cartridge had no effect ..

As soon as my antenna shows up and I am on the air I will get on channel 35 LSB as that's where most Aussies hang out and find someone patient enough to test the radio on all modes am-fm-ssb with me just to see what they think of the audio.

I will report back with my results.

UPDATE :

Try to access mic gain control this way -->

micgain1.PNG

micgain.PNG

should be able to turn up mic gain for all modes... I have attached pdf instructions I was sent by Ford.

Attachments

• Users-manual-of-S890FORDsent.pdf
    15.4 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
@Shadetree Mechanic

As soon as my antenna shows up and I am on the air I will get on channel 35 LSB as that's where most Aussies hang out and find someone patient enough to test the radio on all modes am-fm-ssb with me just to see what they think of the audio.

UPDATE :

View attachment 65350

View attachment 65349

should be able to turn up mic gain for all modes... I have attached pdf instructions I was sent by Ford.
That is a good point, I have already checked the mic level settings. All of them were at maximum from the factory. This and the mic gain pot on the board being at maximum from the factory seems to suggest that this is the best they could do with what they had, and sent it out the door...

Reactions: kingpin007
@Shadetree Mechanic

UPDATE :

View attachment 65350

View attachment 65349

Just a quick note on checking TX audio, something you might want to try. I use a Cobra 148 with no antenna and headphones as a dedicated station monitor. This way I can test different microphones and find what I am looking for without having to rely on someone's opinion. I do a quick check every time I power up just to make sure nothing got bumped, and that everything is correct. I would not run my station without it. I used to set my AM modulation limiter this way before I got a scope.

Just a quick note on checking TX audio, something you might want to try. I use a Cobra 148 with no antenna and headphones as a dedicated station monitor. This way I can test different microphones and find what I am looking for without having to rely on someone's opinion

Yep I have two of the radios here now will I will have to setup both once my base antenna and coax arrives .. I also have two extra mics to also test. I will use pair of headphones to avoid feedback issues and see how clear the audio is.

I will also go into mic gain and adjust higher and also lower to test

Worse case scenario it looks like the only solution is replacing the mics ?

I noticed the mics we were given are different from the first release & I hope this is not the issue because that person in france mentioned nothing about bad audio as seen in the france forum left of photo -->1694471489205.jpeg
1694471507898.jpeg

Please let me know what Ford has to say about this .. because I was given his word that all bugs and issues would be sorted and that's why I was patient in waiting for these.

Either the mics can be replaced by Ford with something better or I will have to invest in better mic myself and spend more money. I did pay with paypal so can dispute this issue that the radios are faulty and audio not loud or clear and hopefully get a partial refund or Ford makes things right with a easy solution.

If we both complain about the same problem then Ford has to make things right.

I might get lucky and my radios will be ok ... fingers crossed

Do you think the higher power output of the radio on AM being set to full power could be affecting the AM audio ?

Have you tried adjusting output power to lower setting to see of that changes the AM audio ?

Another thing to try is could you turn down the mic gain in the menu setttings and test as it might be set too high causing a problem ?

Someone testing the first release radios on youtube mentioned he had to turn down mic gain --> radiomicgain.PNG

Anyhow thanks for investigating further ..

Please let me know if you find a solution or you hear back from Ford.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yep I have two of the radios here now will I will have to setup both once my base antenna and coax arrives .. I also have two extra mics to also test. I will use pair of headphones to avoid feedback issues and see how clear the audio is.

I will also go into mic gain and adjust higher and also lower to test

Worse case scenario it looks like the only solution is replacing the mics ?

I noticed the mics we were given are different from the first release & I hope this is not the issue because that person in france mentioned nothing about bad audio as seen in the france forum left of photo -->View attachment 65355
View attachment 65356

Please let me know what Ford has to say about this .. because I was given his word that all bugs and issues would be sorted and that's why I was patient in waiting for these.

Either the mics can be replaced by Ford with something better or I will have to invest in better mic myself and spend more money. I did pay with paypal so can dispute this issue that the radios are faulty and audio not loud or clear and hopefully get a partial refund or Ford makes things right with a easy solution.

If we both complain about the same problem then Ford has to make things right.

I might get lucky and my radios will be ok ... fingers crossed

Do you think the higher power output of the radio on AM being set to full power could be affecting the AM audio ?

Have you tried adjusting output power to lower setting to see of that changes the AM audio ?

Another thing to try is could you turn down the mic gain in the menu setttings and test as it might be set too high causing a problem ?

Someone testing the first release radios on youtube mentioned he had to turn down mic gain --> View attachment 65357

Anyhow thanks for investigating further ..

Please let me know if you find a solution or you hear back from Ford.

Thanks
I asked Ford if he could tell me how to get into the service menu because of the low audio. The only thing he could tell me is how to get into the regular menu.

I did some more testing, I took the Cobra 148 out and replaced it with a 5555 for my station monitor. Checking the audio on FM, it actually sounds very good. Unfortunately, I don't use FM at all. I might if I found someone on FM to talk to. On sideband, it is usable. Just not quite enough treble and no punch. Would be good for local rag chewing, but I don't do any local talking on SSB. On AM, it still needs help. The audio is copyable, just muddy with all the bass. Maybe what makes it good on FM, makes it bad on AM, it seems. It is a huge night and day difference with the Zetagi desk mic.

I just pre-ordered the revised version coming out later this year ! I've been chatting with Ford as well through Whatsapp since AUG 29th.

Hope it is an enjoyable one 73's, Retro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.