• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Chierda S890 SSB

Well I finally got my 2 s890 radios, been testing a couple days now. Very nice small radios overall. I'm trying to get the latest revised user manual, as the current online don't match up with the menu !

Though I want to lower dead key on AM/FM badly, so I'm guessing inside those pots are there, but haven't looked as I'm trying to test using menus and from adjustments as much as possible until I'm sure what is what.

Mine has 27 menu options and several I do not know what they do. TX sounds a bit too processed on Sideband.

Since the mic pinout from what I've read here isn't 4pin Cobra, I'm looking to see what common 4pin it actually for starters, maybe Midland or Royce whatever because I have alot of mics.

AM sounds pretty good, yes a bit processed sounding but more along the lines MMMaul at least here from dummyloads.

Retro 73

@ShadetreeMechanic

Gday from Sydney Australia.

I just joined this forum because I also bought two of these radios from Ford.

So the stock microphone is the problem and the radio just needs a power mic ?

I paid extra for two spare mics as well .. $8us a piece .. lol

Maybe possible to modify original mics some how ?

Please keep us all updated on these radios as so I can get mine working at their best as well. I am still yet to set them up as waiting on base antenna and coax.

I might have to talk to Ford about getting a partial refund with these crap mics so I can invest in better ones or if he can send replacements that work better.

thanks
My stockmic very very good so i will NOT change it. Report at ssb super super5 radio. I have not tested am/fm.

I'm waiting on the new updated and revised users manual... The one from Simon's website is old, and the one from the Netherlands website same thing... Nothing on the companys website strangely...

For instance, mine has 27 menu options verses old manual has 29 and alot don't match up to my newer version of my s-890 Chierda...

I've figured out most of them but still stumped on some!

73's, Retro

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
My stockmic very very good so i will NOT change it. Report at ssb super super5 radio. I have not tested am/fm.

I'm waiting on the new updated and revised users manual... The one from Simon's website is old, and the one from the Netherlands website same thing... Nothing on the companys website strangely...

For instance, mine has 27 menu options verses old manual has 29 and alot don't match up to my newer version of my s-890 Chierda...

I've figured out most of them but still stumped on some!

73's, Retro
I was wondering if either of you have the noise reduction option in the menu that works? They call it "AI Noise Reduce" and was advertised on the one I purchased, only to find out that it doesn't work. I wish someone on Amazon would sell them, I would try a new one and return it if I didn't like it.

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
Mine has the "NR" but so far I haven't figured out to adjust it in TX/RX. A few of the menu options I'm not sure what they do, so another reason why I want the updated manual... So far, the NR can be turned on or off only either from the
mic that came with the radio or from the button on the front of the radio....

73's - Retro

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I was over to my local techs shop today to get him to make me a mic adapter for this radio. So while there I had him check the TX and RX, just basic tests as I was curious what he'd see etc. Turns out my Sideband operation for TX is being over driven and that coupled with the fact that the TX is digitally processed with no apparent way to turn down or off, makes it kinda bad.

So I had him unbotton the s890 and for him to check the ALC and it doesn't work, does absolutely nothing ! So I was wondering if you'd mind checking yours to see if the trimmer pot inside actually works ???

At least I have a mic adapter now though, and on his scope it showed better results by turning down the mic gain from within the menu around 50% down.

Is there anyone from this discussion have the time to check thier radio to check if the ALC inside works or not please ?

I've already told Ford about, no word from him yet but he hasn't had time yet.

With no scheamatics diagram we're pretty handicapped at this point, unless the company compensates somehow, and I really hope they do something !!!

Also while there, I turned down the mic gain by at least 50% and that helped but was still over driven...

This is unacceptable even though they are referred to SAMPLES.

Anybody let me know what you might find out with your ALC inside or anything related thanks, Retro

Damn that's an ugly radio ! It reminds me of one of those mounted binocular viewing things that used to be in all the National Parks at viewpoints back in the day (maybe they still have them some places). Fugly is the word !

At least they left some room between the knobs and buttons which is nice for folks with fat fingers..........

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.