• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000GTL frequency adjustment

OK, did some more looking and the 2 wires that go to the clarifier actually go to a couple of parts on the bottom of the main board, looks like someone added a couple of resistors and maybe a diode and soldered those to the 2 IC's on the edge of the main board. I redid those 2 wires (now green) so they could easily be seen. Whether they are connected or not and if not connected and I put the red and brown wires that were cut back to the clarifier control NOTHING changes, the radio is still off frequency exactly the same in all scenarios. Maybe the 11.3258 xtal is bad. HELP?? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7150.JPG
    IMG_7150.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7151.JPG
    IMG_7151.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
OK, did some more looking and the 2 wires that go to the clarifier actually go to a couple of parts on the bottom of the main board, looks like someone added a couple of resistors and maybe a diode and soldered those to the 2 IC's on the edge of the main board. I redid those 2 wires (now green) so they could easily be seen. Whether they are connected or not and if not connected and I put the red and brown wires that were cut back to the clarifier control NOTHING changes, the radio is still off frequency exactly the same in all scenarios. Maybe the 11.3258 xtal is bad. HELP?? Thanks
Crystal cant be bad if your external counter reads the proper frequency.Im going to go with the counter module needs to be serviced.

Crystal cant be bad if your external counter reads the proper frequency.Im going to go with the counter module needs to be serviced.
Hi, if the crystal is bad the radio will be off frequency and in doing so it would show the correct frequency being off on the internal and an external frequency counter. The counter module itself should have nothing to do with the REAL frequency of the radio, it can only read what it sees, in this case because the radio is off frequency it is reading that same frequency. Adam

Well you said the external frequency counter was reading correctly and your module wasn't.
Hi, i said they were both reading the same and yes, they are reading the correct frequency that the radio is actually on which is off frequency, please see my earlier posts to see that is what I said but I appreciate you trying to help. Thanks

Hi, i said they were both reading the same and yes, they are reading the correct frequency that the radio is actually on which is off frequency, please see my earlier posts to see that is what I said but I appreciate you trying to help. Thanks
Please post a picture of your frequency counters reading at the same time thanks.,also keep clarifier centerd thanks.

Please post a picture of your frequency counters reading at the same time thanks.,also keep clarifier centerd thanks.
Hi, they both read the same, I do know what I am doing and the fine or course control does not swing it anywhere near enough to get it on frequency. Does anyone have an 11.325 crystal they can sell? Thanks, Adam

Hi, they both read the same, I do know what I am doing and the fine or course control does not swing it anywhere near enough to get it on frequency. Does anyone have an 11.325 crystal they can sell? Thanks, Adam
I have a couple I can sell u one its a bigger version crystal, all you have to do is pay for shipping

if you have a 11.325 crystal in the radio may be your problem. you need the 11.3258 to center the clarifier when you do the channel mods and change the stock crystal.

if you have a 11.325 crystal in the radio may be your problem. you need the 11.3258 to center the clarifier when you do the channel mods and change the stock crystal.
Wow, now that is very interesting and may make sense, I will do some checking. Thanks, Adam

adamf, your 11.325 crystal is working if you are getting a 27 mhz signal out of the radio.
yes, there could be an issue if the crystal you have now is not the stock one, but i seriously doubt that anyone would change your crystal out, and here's why.

the 2000GTL's came with the large crystal that uniden used on purpose because it gave the clarifiers a huge amount of slide when modded.
back when the 2000 was in production, this was a big deal as everyone wanted a "slider".

no one would change one of these crystals out for any reason unless they were converting the radio to be strictly 10 meters as in for a ham operator.

what you have in front of you is a channel mod experiment gone wrong.
It was probably put up for sale specifically because this mod could not be made to work right.

this radio needs to be put back to stock, with all that junk removed, and then modded correctly if that is what you want.

you need to go over the schematic, and put the clarifier back to stock configuration, remove all the extra parts from the PLL, the audio chip, and the voltage regulator, remove the switch, all that magnet wire, and then try to get the radio to operate on frequency.

once the radio works in stock form, then it can be modded for what you want.

Im sorry but there is not way to "de-mod" this radio over an internet forum.
if you don't have the experience and knowledge to undo all the crud on that radio yourself, then you are going to have to send it to someone.
may i recommend DTB radio JUST KIDDING!!!!!! too soon?
LC

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
adamf, your 11.325 crystal is working if you are getting a 27 mhz signal out of the radio.
yes, there could be an issue if the crystal you have now is not the stock one, but i seriously doubt that anyone would change your crystal out, and here's why.

the 2000GTL's came with the large crystal that uniden used on purpose because it gave the clarifiers a huge amount of slide when modded.
back when the 2000 was in production, this was a big deal as everyone wanted a "slider".

no one would change one of these crystals out for any reason unless they were converting the radio to be strictly 10 meters as in for a ham operator.

what you have in front of you is a channel mod experiment gone wrong.
It was probably put up for sale specifically because this mod could not be made to work right.

this radio needs to be put back to stock, with all that junk removed, and then modded correctly if that is what you want.

you need to go over the schematic, and put the clarifier back to stock configuration, remove all the extra parts from the PLL, the audio chip, and the voltage regulator, remove the switch, all that magnet wire, and then try to get the radio to operate on frequency.

once the radio works in stock form, then it can be modded for what you want.

Im sorry but there is not way to "de-mod" this radio over an internet forum.
if you don't have the experience and knowledge to undo all the crud on that radio yourself, then you are going to have to send it to someone.
may i recommend DTB radio JUST KIDDING!!!!!! too soon?
LC
Hi LC, thanks for your detailed post, you are a good egg. I will play around with the radio, if no progress then I will either put it aside or sell it for parts, may be too much time for me to invest. Thank you again, Adam

have you looked at cbtricks in the secret cb books. it shows a lot of the 2000 radio mods . might help you with the brown and red wires from the clarifier. go to the listing section by radio and then to cobra then scroll down to the 2000 radio. it has a lot of info there you can look at. might help you out.

have you looked at cbtricks in the secret cb books. it shows a lot of the 2000 radio mods . might help you with the brown and red wires from the clarifier. go to the listing section by radio and then to cobra then scroll down to the 2000 radio. it has a lot of info there you can look at. might help you out.
Hi, thanks, did that but it did not help. Thanks for the post. ADam
Yes, I saw that but it did not help. Thanks for the post. Adam

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.