• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 500XL

Magna Force - Crap
Cobra - Crap

You can dress it up all you want and it's still a pile of crap.

The only reason I would have rather had the Magna was because I could have gotten more for it when I sold it. If you think the Cobra/Messenger/Whatever is a good amp...well....alright.

GLR, "Please tell me exactly what makes that a properly built and designed amplifier." A properly designed and built amplifier does what it's expected to do, amplify the applied signal in such a way that it's not producing things it shouldn't produce. There are a bunch of different ways of doing that. Those 'ways' depend on what device is used to do the amplifying, the transistor(s) or tube(s). Each has characteristics that are specific for each one of them. So do the particular circuit that they are used in. If you assume that the input and output characteristics are going to be the 'usual', then an amplifier's use on more than one fairly narrow range of frequencies requires that the input/output circuits need to be variable, or 'broad' enough to be usable. Both of those thingys have inconveniences. As in you either have to twist knobs, or put up with reduced efficiency of some sort, or pay lots more money. (Since I'm cheap, need all the 'help' I can get, sort of, I don't mind turning switches and/or knobs. That's just me, so do it however you are comfortable with.) Which is better, tubes or transistors? Depends entirely on where/how the thing is going to be used. At home, where I have lots more options (120 - 240Vac), I'd rather use a tube type amplifier. In the car/truck, where all I have is 12Vdc, transistor amplifiers/devices make more sense ($$$ type cents too). Is either of those choices (tube/transistor) better at amplifying than the other? Not really. Fact of Life #1; It's always gonna cost more than you originally thought. Fact of Life #2; Something else is always gonna be "better". When you get right down to it, other than the 'prestige', who cares, as long as it does what it's supposed to do, and you don't have to mortgage the place to get it? - 'Doc

If so, a classic bait and switch.:angry:

If the price is right and the order is big enough ? maker would put Sally's Dancing Poodles 500 on the front of it , if that's what you wanted. I think those are the San Fransisco models. :tongue:

in a recent situation related to me where a class c 2X2SC2879 (built by someone we all know) was being used in a late model vehicle equipped with all of the latest entertainment electronics the interference was unstoppable until the amp was replaced with an XL500. that's all it took.

they are also becoming quite popular with the comp crowd in the southeast as a driver for 8X and 16X boxes. the difference in power at 27Mhz. between the 1446 and the 2879 is all of 10W. for a given level of drive and operating voltage. at 50% over spec. comparing the power output of the two types of four devices the difference is only 60W.

"Please tell me exactly what makes that a properly built and designed amplifier."

i'll keep it simple for you. see the first paragraph.

if you're looking for a noticably clean, linear and stable 500W AB1 from 3.5 - 29.7 Mhz. the XL500 is hard to beat, no excessive drive or operating voltage is required to achieve it and virtually all power is developed at the fundamental operating frequency where it belongs. these are the hallmarks of a well designed amplifier for AM/SSB use. when the grandkids can play their video games uninterrupted while the OM is cranking half a KW on his favorite frequency (all the tech talk aside) you know the box is a keeper.

if you're looking for a noticably clean, linear and stable 500W AB1 from 3.5 - 29.7 Mhz. the XL500 is hard to beat

125W from a 1446?

Not what alot of your other posts say.

GLR sounds alot like Psycho.

Heaven forbid some of us just don't want to be mud ducks.
The Col could order more from Xforce and give the guy the sale price.......instead he offers him a 4x1446 mud duck box for the same price. That's getting F#%*ed without being lubed first.

This Cobra 500 XL is working well for me. I think it's putting out more on frequency watts that my other 4 pill sd1446 class C box. Listening stations are asking if I made a change. So go figure.

Man it's getting deep in here!

the col. is definately a stand up guy . drifter , i didnt realize it was a blow out sale just for the 600's he had in stock when i put up that post . i just got a palomar 225 from him and the shipping was fast and the price was right . hes definately on my very short list of trusted dealers in the 11 meter business .

You finally bought something!!!!! I see you went all out and got a Palomar 225.
All these years on the various forums asking hundreds if not thousands of questions about every comp/stock amp on the planet....and you end up with that?????
I am speechless. Well have fun with it anyhow.

Heaven forbid some of us just don't want to be mud ducks.
The Col could order more from Xforce and give the guy the sale price.......instead he offers him a 4x1446 mud duck box for the same price. That's getting F#%*ed without being lubed first.
Psycho.... If a 2879 pill box gives you a hard on I got a 10 pill Fat Boy sitting here on my Base all I have to do is flip a few switches on my desk. I can put it on you when skip is rolling from down South. If that is not Big enough for you I havea 3 3-500Z box sitting here too I can dump into my beam.

Now quit picking on my Cobra XL-500 Box. I like it.:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.