• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hooked up the sirio p5000

123kid

Mar 6, 2012
Ok so i think i blew out my swr meter....Let me explain...........When i hooked up my new sirio the swr was high so i knew i had to clip the whip.It was low on the lower bands below the standard 40.I began clipping testing using the radios swr meter and got the swr 1.0 channel 1 to 1.1 channel 40 via the radios swr meter.When i went to hook up my paradynamics meter to verify i didnt screw it in right couldnt see it was at a angle and then it kept giving above 3 swr then i fixed the connection still above 3 swr....When i shake the meter i can hear something ticking around in there.Reconecting the antenna direct to radio and swr is perfect fron a little below channel 1 to 1.3 on 555.Now i know my anytones meter is close to accurate as i have tested it against the paradynamics in the past the anytone usually reads a bit higher so it being low is a good indication.Example in the base my anytone on the outboard meter on channel 19 is 1.2 but on the radio its 1.4....In this case can i trust my radios meter?I tested it and i can talk to my friends 20 miles away on am they can hear me.The radio does 12 watts out am.

....In this case can i trust my radios meter?I tested it and i can talk to my friends 20 miles away on am they can hear me.The radio does 12 watts out am.

I would say yes to answer your question.
Talking from a mobile to a base 20 miles away on AM with a 12 watt radio indicates to me that the antenna is working well or the base stations have exceptional abilities. ( your choice )

thanks

air miles hes about 15 miles on ssb my friedn 20 air miles away heard me mobile to mobile i was swinging 5 on his 959

ok

got my outboard meter working and its right on the money with the radios meter 1.1 on 19 1.0 on 40 and 1.3 channel 1....im very happy with it.Talked skip today all over the u.s its good about 20 miles ssb in the mobile and about 12 am average air miles "not road miles"....Im running it with the anytone doing about 12 watts am and 30 ssb.Clipping the whip was a little tough as i took off more than i thought i would have to i would say a inch in a half total.Alot of people say they didnt need to clip at all and im wondering why i did mine was set for lower frequencys.Another thing i noticed i didnt have one of those scratch off sirio tickets with mine but i bought from h&y

I sent H&Y am email about the scratch off ticket that's supposed to be included with Sirio products. I'm writing Sirio to hear what they have to say about it.

Here's a copy of the email to Sirio:

Hello.
I just bought a new Sirio P5000 antenna from H&Y over here in the states. Does Sirio products come with scratch off authentication tickets. The reason why I asked is that on a YouTube video,one person bought a Sirio antenna product and they showed the audience the scratch off ticket that is included. They said that Sirio does this because of counterfeiters. Your thoughts. Thanks.

excellent

Let me know how it turns out....Does 12 to 15 air miles am in the mobile at 12 watts am seem good with this antenna?Its good for about 20 to 25 miles ssb at 30 watts.

Sounds pretty good to me. I'm getting back into the radio scene. I've listened to one mobile 25 miles away on 27.285 MHz. But they were running a two pill amp. Most of my communications are with base stations running power. I live in the piedmont of north and South Carolina lots of rolling hills.

nice

nice same here i was out of it for a few years coming back built a base now working the mobile.

This may sound like a dumb question but if the sirio has a scratch off authentication label and the label has been scratched off then how does one know if it is authentic?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.